OVERGROOMING - PLS HELP!!

Rayray01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello there guys, I need some help from fellow cat people. Please read ahead x

I got my cat about 3years ago, we decided to keep her inside (she was 5 when we got her). We got her a catio, loads of toys, plenty of affection and playtime but she has a serious problem with OVERGROOMING - she's not the same cat anymore!!

I feel like it's due to another cat who has dominated our garden, she's always here, and Bonnie
IMG_20220103_121642.jpg
IMG_20220103_121508.jpg
doesn't like her at all (the other cat is calm, but is still intimidating Bonnie). We can't get rid of this cat, she's latched on!! I told my family to stop feeding her which they have but she really seems to think this is home (I know, they shouldn't have fed her).

I don't know what to do, we've decided to start letting bonnie out but she's still in an awful state. We've tried anti anxiety meds (didn't work), consistent playtime, nice cat smells (feliway), hiding places etc. I feel like we've tried everything but she is still so stressed out. Does anyone have any suggestions? Does it sound like this other cat is the problem? I can't find her owner and called cats protection... I just want bonnie to feel happy and safe :(

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would try Rescue Remedy Bach natural stress relief and see if that helps. Eventually, you would think she would get used to that cat and not be so stressed. I have a product called Itch relief Gold coming for my own overgrooming cat. I can post if it works. I know a steroid shot at the vet gave her many months of relief, you might ask your vet about it. She has Leukemia possibly now (my other cat was diagnosed) so I hesitate to bring her to a vet's office so full of germs. Keeping her strictly inside at least until she is healed up might help too.

kittymama18

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Any allergies? (Even a single flea will do this to 3 of my cats) Pain issues? (did your vet check her?) Can you keep Bonnie inside in a peaceful room for a week or so to see if she stops? If the other cat is dominating her when she's in the catio, it'd be best to either find the other cat a home or else keep Bonnie away from the catio - or maybe put up sun shades so she can't see the other cat..... If the other cat is just hanging around, it might be a good idea to try to introduce them so they could be friends. If the other cat is aggressive, I think all you can do is try to find it a home.

kittymama18

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would try Rescue Remedy Bach natural stress relief and see if that helps. Eventually, you would think she would get used to that cat and not be so stressed. I have a product called Itch relief Gold coming for my own overgrooming cat. I can post if it works. I know a steroid shot at the vet gave her many months of relief, you might ask your vet about it. She has Leukemia possibly now (my other cat was diagnosed) so I hesitate to bring her to a vet's office so full of germs. Keeping her strictly inside at least until she is healed up might help too.
Agree on the rescue remedy, that stuff is great!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rayray01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's brilliant thank you for the suggestions, I'll try this rescue remedy stuff and if nothing helps, maybe another trip to the vets... Yeah I thought letting her out would help but she actually seems more stressed. Thanks so so much for the advice

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rayray01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Any allergies? (Even a single flea will do this to 3 of my cats) Pain issues? (did your vet check her?) Can you keep Bonnie inside in a peaceful room for a week or so to see if she stops? If the other cat is dominating her when she's in the catio, it'd be best to either find the other cat a home or else keep Bonnie away from the catio - or maybe put up sun shades so she can't see the other cat..... If the other cat is just hanging around, it might be a good idea to try to introduce them so they could be friends. If the other cat is aggressive, I think all you can do is try to find it a home.
The vet checked her and she seems healthy, just major stress. I feel like a second trip would be beneficial though, as it does seem pretty extreme. I thought letting her out would help but she does seem slightly worse... The other cat is super kind and is curious about bonnie, but maybe she's just too territorial... Ill try keeping her in a safe space for a week and see what happens, thanks so much for your advice

ThePrincessPoppy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The vet checked her and she seems healthy, just major stress. I feel like a second trip would be beneficial though, as it does seem pretty extreme. I thought letting her out would help but she does seem slightly worse... The other cat is super kind and is curious about bonnie, but maybe she's just too territorial... Ill try keeping her in a safe space for a week and see what happens, thanks so much for your advice
Can we get an update on the situation? I have a similar problem with my cat Poppy. She started overgrooming and she's lost almost 1/3 of her fur and we can't get any answers from the vet. I feel so helpless. I hope Bonnie is doing better.

Bonitanatale

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can we get an update on the situation? I have a similar problem with my cat Poppy. She started overgrooming and she's lost almost 1/3 of her fur and we can't get any answers from the vet. I feel so helpless. I hope Bonnie is doing better.

Hey there! Since making that pst she lost more and more fur, we tried some bitter apple spray which is non toxic but tastes awful, which did help but we felt bad because she just kept running away from us after that. She wouldn't move from her cat tree and nowhere felt safe. At the moment she's improving, I'm absolutely sure it was this other cat...

Can you think of anything at all, even if it's tiny, that has changed since this behaviour started? Are there a lot of other neighbourhood cats? Have you moved the furniture? Lots of new people?

CindyH66

Peanuts Mom
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would have a vet check, and not just try to figure it out myself. Overgrooming IS a sign of stress, but it can also be a sign of underlying health issues and a vet can look for those with bloodwork. the stress might be because she is not feeling well, and the other cat situation is a coincidence. I had a kitty that was overgrooming ...and had pulled all the fur out of her belly until it was bald !! otherwise she seemed fine ! it turned out she was in the early stages of renal disease. THAT was her stressor. put her on a diet for CKD , and the overgrooming stopped ! I could never have guessed that's what it was. it showed up in her labs. with the diet changes she lived years longer ..and no more bald belly !! good luck ! it takes a little detective work to find the cause .... :crossfingers: :cheerleader:

ThePrincessPoppy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey there! Since making that pst she lost more and more fur, we tried some bitter apple spray which is non toxic but tastes awful, which did help but we felt bad because she just kept running away from us after that. She wouldn't move from her cat tree and nowhere felt safe. At the moment she's improving, I'm absolutely sure it was this other cat...

Can you think of anything at all, even if it's tiny, that has changed since this behaviour started? Are there a lot of other neighbourhood cats? Have you moved the furniture? Lots of new people?
The only thing I can think of is that there was a big black cat that came in our house twice over the summer. The second time he came all the way up the stairs into our bedroom! Poppy was very upset and started screaming at him. He hasn't come inside our house ever since (we started closing the downstairs windows at night), but I believe he still lurks around and maybe that's why our cat doesn't go outside for 6 hours at a time anymore (she really only wants to go outside if I come outside with her.

If that's truly the problem, there's literally nothing I can do. I don't know whose cat that is, and I can't keep that cat from coming to our house. Is my cat doomed to become bald all over just because some other cat is mozying around? We lived in homes in the past where she had to deal with other cats much more regularly and it was never a problem.

ThePrincessPoppy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

We have an answer finally! Poppy's HESKA results came back. Poopy is extremely allergic to dust mites, storage mites, and dog fennel. She is also mildly allergic to a ton of other things. Our vet has recommended immunotherapy for her which usually has good results.

Have you gotten a HESKA test for your cat? If your vet didn't do a HESKA test, specifically ask for it. A Heska test tells you exactly what she is allergic to. If you already had this test done but moved to a new location get it done again because a new climate could mean new allergies.