Overgrooming, help D:

Bonitanatale

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys, I got a beautiful cat around 5 months ago and she’s 5. She stays indoors because there’s a dangerous road near my house and I play with her as much as possible to make sure she’s stimulated, she has a big cat tree that she rarely uses, however, she’s developing bald batches from overgrooming and she never seems settled.. I love her so much and I don’t know how to help her!! Does anyone have any advice for how I can keep her happy? Thank you!!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
First, I'd like to welcome you to TCS! :wave3: Did you take her to the vet for an initial exam? It's possible she is a little stressed out from being in a new home. Sometimes it takes a period of adjustment to acclimate to a different environment. It's also possible she has allergies or has food sensitivities. What are you feeding her and do you know if it's the same or different food from what she was fed before? Are there any other animals in your home? I'm sorry for all the questions but a little more information would be helpful. BTW, what's her name? We'd love to see a pic of your new girl and thank you for giving her a forever home.:catlove:

This Article has some helpful tips about a cat adjusting to a new home:
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home – Cat Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bonitanatale

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you so much, we thought it could’ve just been the move but I have seen some other suggestions about allergies and sensitive tummies, I will try and give her just dry food and see if she improves.. She has the house to herself so it is likely that eh? She’s called Bonnie, here’s a picture of her looking beautiful:)
B0C2481C-B152-42A2-8483-C11F2AC61304.jpeg

Hannah518

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What a cute kitty!! My 13 year old boy has had mad anxiety his whole life. Probably due to the family that left him for dead before I got him. 😩

When we moved across the country to a new state he licked off allll the hair on his belly and inside his hind legs. It occurs usually when there is a major change. I’ve toyed with the idea of food allergies and tried some different things but he’s eaten the same food for years when it came and went. He started doing it again during another move and just recently when his brother was sick and then passed. I’m treating with CBD but he has also been on an off Prozac. This past time it may have made him nauseated so we took him off it and are trying cbd solo and just all the love. You may try calming cat diffuser in your new space? Maybe some catnip or if Bonnie has any toys from where you adopted her from with a familiar scent?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I would be curious to see the answers to all the questions neely neely asked you in order to help with offering some ideas. It sounds like the overgrooming just recently started and not for the entire 5 months you have had her, correct? That also makes a big difference in possibly narrowing down potential causes. If she hasn't overgroomed until more recently, I am not sure how her behavior would correlate to a new home (unless other changes have gone on since then), or even food for that matter, unless food changes you made were right before the overgrooming started. I suppose she could have just recently develop a food allergy, but probably not. Hopefully, you can provide more information when you get a chance!!!

Bonitanatale

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What a cute kitty!! My 13 year old boy has had mad anxiety his whole life. Probably due to the family that left him for dead before I got him. 😩

When we moved across the country to a new state he licked off allll the hair on his belly and inside his hind legs. It occurs usually when there is a major change. I’ve toyed with the idea of food allergies and tried some different things but he’s eaten the same food for years when it came and went. He started doing it again during another move and just recently when his brother was sick and then passed. I’m treating with CBD but he has also been on an off Prozac. This past time it may have made him nauseated so we took him off it and are trying cbd solo and just all the love. You may try calming cat diffuser in your new space? Maybe some catnip or if Bonnie has any toys from where you adopted her from with a familiar scent?
Ahh thank you so much, she doesn’t respond much to catnip and she didn’t have any toys :( but I did consider CBD for a little bit. Might give it a go if nothing else works.. Hope it works out for your little cat :)

Bonitanatale

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I would be curious to see the answers to all the questions neely neely asked you in order to help with offering some ideas. It sounds like the overgrooming just recently started and not for the entire 5 months you have had her, correct? That also makes a big difference in possibly narrowing down potential causes. If she hasn't overgroomed until more recently, I am not sure how her behavior would correlate to a new home (unless other changes have gone on since then), or even food for that matter, unless food changes you made were right before the overgrooming started. I suppose she could have just recently develop a food allergy, but probably not. Hopefully, you can provide more information when you get a chance!!!
Hi :) she’s been overgrooming for the past two months I’d say.. I’ve been wondering if she wants to get outdoors, she’s very energetic but it’s so dangerous on my street :( she’s quite clingy too, I’m worried she’s just extremely bored :( I’ve no idea what her diet was like before I had her so I did think perhaps I should find out if it is some sort of allergy.. thank you for taking the time to respond :)

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
we thought it could’ve just been the move but I have seen some other suggestions about allergies and sensitive tummies, I will try and give her just dry food and see if she improves.. She has the house to herself so it is likely that eh? She’s called Bonnie, here’s a picture of her looking beautiful:)
It would be beneficial to feed her canned food for her water intake and leave a little dry food out at night or when you're gone as a snack. This Article explains how to increase the water intake: Tips To Increase Your Cat’s Water Intake – Cat Articles
Also an Article about choosing the right food for your cat: Choosing The Right Food For Your Cat – Part 2 – Cat Articles

Here is an Article that discusses food allergies in cats: 11 Key Facts About Food Allergies In Cats – Cat Articles

I love the name Bonnie and she is an absolutely gorgeous ginger cat. :gingercat2: Lots of luck, please keep us posted on her progress.

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
As others have said, usually over grooming is due to stress from my experience. If it is a food allergy and your feeding dry food, I think the first thing I would eliminate any food with food coloring which would be most of the cheaper brands. Seems some cats just don't do well with the dyes. I had a cat once that had a reaction to it. Only difference was he has sensitive stomach and he got the runs. I switched him to Purina One and he cleared right up.

sabbyjake

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree with stress, when I watched my friends male cat my 6 year old female (who hated him) licked her front leg clear, now that hes gone the fur has been growing back.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! Your Bonnie is gorgeous!! I agree with the others that canned food is preferable especially if Bonnie has developed allergies or other skin issues. Fancy Feast naturals and Little Lion are fairly inexpensive choices that are more limited ingredient. Have you tried music for cats at all?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great update! If harness training is not convenient, you can try taking Peanut for stroller rides. There are commercial pet strollers or, if you can find a baby stroller frame, you can attach a sturdy carrier to it. My Maine Coon did great on a harness but the streets to the children's park were too busy so he had to be "strollered" there. I really admire your insights into the dynamics of your household - keep up the good work!

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
thank you so much, we thought it could’ve just been the move but I have seen some other suggestions about allergies and sensitive tummies, I will try and give her just dry food and see if she improves.. She has the house to herself so it is likely that eh? She’s called Bonnie, here’s a picture of her looking beautiful:) View attachment 320082
Bonnie is lovely.

As other mentioned, wet food would be much better. Dry food is filled with grains/fillers - there's no way around it since it needs something to hold it together. Switching over to something like Fancy Feast classic pates is a decent low cost choice - grain free, no fillers and most cats do like it. If you still need to feed kibble at times, try to find one with the highest protein count possible - we use Orijen's because we have a kitten at home and she requires a lot more food than our older cat (who barely even looks at the kibble) so it's useful to leave out a small bowl of it for her to snack on.

I know the photo isn't very clear but it appears her coat might not be in the best condition possible so I do wonder if there's some health issue at play, even if it's an allergy. I'd certainly take her for a full work up if you haven't already. Personally I wouldn't be giving my cats any kind of over the counter remedies without check with my vet first. One never knows where they were produced, or what the right dosage even is - and many have no science behind them, basically they are placebo effects or things which just rob your wallet.

If it turns out the vet suspects a food allergy, which is kind of common, you'll be asked to put her on a novel diet for a month - which means eating a protein she's never had before and then slowly adding in others until you find the one which is causing the problem. One of our cats, as it turned out, was allergic to the most common poultry: chicken/turkey although was able to tolerate duck and quail. It was worth the couple of months of going through the diet because once we discovered the food trigger and eliminated it, the problems he'd been having stopped (mostly vomiting daily).

And of course, being in a new home can set off behaviors that are possibly only temporary but again, seeing the vet to me seems to be the first step. Besides, it's always good to establish her with one so that if she actually became ill you aren't walking in with an emergency; they will already have her as a patient with background history.