Overgrooming - Anxiety

jinksandchew

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi All, This is a strange one that i would like opinions on. The below images are of a cat that I believe has stress-related over-grooming issues, however, the vet is unsure and put him on a course artuvetrin therapy (for allergies) for the past year or so but still has the occasional overgrooming to the extent of the images. As a kitten he used to chew on his paw and occasionally does this now but he still overgrooms as per the photos. He is an only cat, indoor with access to roof terrace a few hours a day. His owner works 4 days a week from 9 - 4 and his home most of the time. Unfortunately, his owner is an alcoholic, and although not aggressive and would never hurt or abusive him, she is very stressed and sometimes when she has drunk a lot (most days) she temporarily passes out seemly awake though. I really wonder if he is picking up on this illness causing him to overgroom? He has toys and a wand that she plays with him most days as well as a scratching post and areas he can climb. He is also jumpy with loud noises or sometimes even a sneeze will make him jump. He has Feliway, however, was stopped for a week or 2 and this happened. The Feliway is now back on. His diet is one pouch of Felix and science plan dry food throughout the day.Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. His vet does not know the extent of his owner's drinking problem.

IMG_4281.jpg
, I would like

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a tricky situation since it is someone else's pet but it is possible he is picking up on his owner's stress. It also is possible he could have an allergy to his food. Chewing licking and itchy skin are common food allergy symptoms.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

cessena

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat overgrooms, but never to the extent of breaking the skin like that. (Though I know some cats do.) So it does seem like maybe that is more an allergic issue than a stress issue? The way I had allergies explained to me is that you can tolerate a certain amount of them in your environment, but as they build up and build up you are more likely to have a reaction.

Is it possible that his owner isn't taking care and keeping his environment clean? He could be dealing with more allergens now vs before?

But on the stress front, the Hill's Science Diet does come in a "Stress" formula that my cat is on and it helped her tremendously with the overgrooming. She still does it a bit, but it's much much better than it had been. so that might be something else to ask the vet about.