Overexcited Peeing?

Yenta

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,
My fiance and I adopted two kittens about 10 days ago. They are currently 9 1/2 and 10 1/2 weeks old, different litters, probably same daddy cat. They are adjusting really well to home life, and have bonded well with each other. The younger one is part Maine Coon and talks all the time, so she is Kibbitz, and the older is a smokey grey with lighter grey on her nose, so she is Schumutz. They play constantly and then crash to sleep together. Crazy cute.
2 days ago first thing in the morning my fiance decided to bring Kibbitz onto our bed to play. She was very happy chasing toes as we moved them over the covers, then I felt a sudden warmth and realized she had peed on the bed, right on me. Not a few drops, her whole night time bladder. I immediately removed her to the litter box. We stripped the bed down to dryness and washed everything. The comforter is wool filled and took two days to completely dry. So first night back in the bed again with all freshly laundered everything, Fiance decides to bring her back up, despite my protestations that I am worried. Again she is wild eyed excited chasing hither and yon, and then she stops and tries scratching the bed, YUP, she peed again.
They have two litter boxes, are both using them successfully on a regular basis. There have been no other inappropriate peeing episodes in any other part of the house. Is it the comforter feels like litter? So excited out of her mind that she lets loose? What the heck?
Other than saying "we are not playing with this cat on the bed anymore" which I have done, what should we do?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Do you have a litterbox on the floor where your bedroom is? With such small kittens, they might feel like a litterbox on a different floor is too far to be able to make it there on time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yenta

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There are two litter boxes, one in the "main house" and one in the addition to the house which is 5 steps down. The one in the addition is just one room from the bedroom. Kibbitz was in the room with the second litterbox less than 5 minutes before she peed on the bed last night. I clean the litter boxes daily, and they are being used by both kittens, as we can see them go into them.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I would try sticking her in the litterbox before any morning playtime. She may not really have a sense that she has to go until too late.

I also recommend that you not ever engage kittens in any kind of playtime in your bed. You want them to learn that beds are for sleeping quietly by their humans, not leaping at their heads or feet, or waking them up many times a night.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yenta

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I also recommend that you not ever engage kittens in any kind of playtime in your bed. You want them to learn that beds are for sleeping quietly by their humans, not leaping at their heads or feet, or waking them up many times a night.

After having to wash everything twice now, I am ready to stick the fiance in the litter box over night. I agree with your assessment about no playing in bed for kittens.