Overdosing Bayer Tapeworm Medicine

Waterlili

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I treated my cats with the 3 pill Bayer tapeworm medicine. At the store the attendant said I could retreat 7 days later. I did after 10 days but now I researched and people are saying it should not be given no more then 30 days after. Should I be worried? I feel like a idiot. The instructions said nothing of this. I tried to call Bayer and no one is there.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would call the vet right now and ask for advice. There's usually an after hours voicemail message with info on who to call for emergencies.

What does the package of tapeworm medicine say about dosing? There must be info in the package that tells how many pills to give per pound of body weight or something along those lines and frequency of dosing plus the typical product info sheet with all the pharmaceutical info, side effects, etc.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Praziquantel has an extremely short half-life (about 3 hours in cats). So there's no chance of an overdose after 10 days.

Giving it too often may cause problems too, just not an overdose.

I can't find any info about how often to give it, other than "whenever you see signs of tapeworms".

Anyway, since the hotline is free it wouldn't hurt to give them a call, but unless the cat is showing symptoms of an overdose, I think you can wait until tomorrow to call the company :).