Overdoing the Probiotics?

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been giving my cats Proviable DC an intestinal supplement and it has helped my cats digestion tremendously It was suggested by my vet. Amazon.com
However, my cats have another problem: BAD BREATH. Brushing is out of the question because they struggle.
I want to try another Probiotic, this time for breath ..PROBIORA.
Amazon.com

Question:
IN YOUR OPINION.. would taking all those probiotics be a bad idea?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There is such thing as too many probiotics, especially since your cat can't communicate how they feel. I would only do the singular probiotic and not double it up for my cats (even for myself TBH).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is such thing as too many probiotics, especially since your cat can't communicate how they feel. I would only do the singular probiotic and not double it up for my cats (even for myself TBH).
Any suggestions on something that can work on bad breath? I am giving them hard to chew treats to sort of get to tartar, but I know there must be something out there that can help.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree about the probiotics - stick to just one. It is kind of odd for all your cats, however many that is, to have bad breath, but it could have something to do with the food they eat, if they all eat the same thing.

Aside from that, maybe they should have a dental checkup/cleaning done. Dental issues can cause bad breath.

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree about the probiotics - stick to just one. It is kind of odd for all your cats, however many that is, to have bad breath, but it could have something to do with the food they eat, if they all eat the same thing.

Aside from that, maybe they should have a dental checkup/cleaning done. Dental issues can cause bad breath.
They both have been on several different foods for their digestion. (they are rescued Florida street cats and most likely were eating garbage and rodents). One is 6 months and has Juvenile Gingivitis. The other(Mom) is really still young herself..14 months. Both are eating well, but had some diarrhea and it is clearing up after treatment and this probiotic.
November they are to be seen again and then dental issues discussed. But until then, I would love not to smell bad breath a room away every time they groom...and they groom a lot!

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks. There are a lot out there I see. I also see some have mint and Peppermint. I thought that was toxic to cats!
I personally don't think Chewy or any of these reputable pet sites would endorse products that are toxic to cats. i think the amount and the medium play a big role on how much is considered toxic.

IMO, whatever you give them is masking an issue, be that dental issues or food. If not dental, and they are fine health wise, you have to decide how important it is to you to prevent their bad breath.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of our cats, also a rescur and very underfed, came to us with very bad breath as well as gas. All the bad smells went away when we took the foods with potato out of her diet. Which is to say that my suggestion would be to consider as suspects any carby or leguminous ingredients that the cats might be eating and try taking them off the menu. Good luck!