Overdoing play for kitten?

czuva

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 5 month old Maine Coon kitten who is moderate energy and plays a couple times a day, not “off the walls” 24/7 like other kittens I hear about.

I recently bought a Da Fish (lure attachment from the same company as Da Bird), and she goes WILD over it. She ran after it so hard that she open-mouth panted a few times last night—this has never happened after any other play session. She’s been to the vet a few times in the past couple months for a physical and vaccines, so I doubt it’s a heart problem. Just playing very hard.

She also seems to get very hyper and doesn’t calm down or want to stop even after quite a long time playing. I thought to tire her out, but she won’t quit 😂

Is it possible to overdo playing with a kitten? How do I wind her down at the end of a hyper play session with this toy?

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Panting after loads of exertion is perfectly normal :> I like to 'simmer' my cats, get them tired enough so they lay down to rest and catch their breath a few times before finishing playing, or when they get too lazy/tired to chase after the toy properly. Takes a while with my guys, their second winds seem to last forever!

I wouldn't worry, honestly -- just let your girl catch her breath and stop open mouth panting before inviting her to play again. I also like to schedule my play sessions before a meal or snack time (my guys get chicken necks when I have lunch at home, for example). When that's not possible because of work, I'll reward a good play session with some treats, so they have that natural cat rhythm of hunt-catch-kill-eat-groom-sleep.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Not to worry and it’s great you found a toy she likes. most cats will quit when they get tired but if you want to slow her down or stop play just wait longer between moving the wand or move it less for a few minutes before removing it and putting it away. With some cats you can simply let them catch the toy and they lose interest. Some though will decide to kill it by tearing it apart so it might not work for yours.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Panting after a play session that involves lots of running and jumping and physical exertion is normal :) Just like people who run, play sports, etc. After a play session, just let your cat be and maybe follow up with something soothing like brushing the fur.

arr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Open mouth breathing is also a sign of asthma in cats. Our 11 month old boy has been open mouth breathing/panting when he really gets going playing and I too thought he was just working out really hard. Well yesterday he had a full blown breathing attack that according to videos looks exactly like an asthma attack. I made an appointment with the vet and until he can get in, the technician said to slow him down once we see the open mouth breathing/panting. Just something to watch for.