Over prescribed Clindamycin

Meldawn1111

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my kitten had a spay incision that wasn’t healing and was prescribed Clindamycin 2 ml 2 times a day for ten days. Tuesday and Wednesday I gave her this amount and today when I went to give her a second dose I realized how much of the bottle was gone. The bottle says 1-3 ml per 5 lbs in 24 hrs. She’s 6.5 lbs. I think they meant 1 ml per dose. The bottle is only 20 ml so it doesn’t add up. The shelter that did her surgery made so many mistakes at this point it doesn’t surprise me. I took her to my vet Tues and they said to continue the med but I just discovered the dosage issue. I’ll be calling them first thing tomorrow but anyone else ever have this happen?

Sugar Plum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is there an emergency clinic open that you could call? I've often heard them giving people free advice over the phone when I've been there (more often than I'd like).

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Take a really close look at the syringe. They are sometimes VERY poorly marked. Some are marked in such a way that not too long ago I lost my mind and actually measured a few different syringes out and they were way off one another. It was kind of a scary realization.

The other thing I wouldn't be surprised to learn is that there wasn't quite 20ML in it. Twice on one of mine I've measured and the bottle contained 17 ml so I wouldn't be surprised about someone measuring it out wrong either.

Def call the Vet tomorrow and check the proper dosage though - best to be safe.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meldawn1111

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The medication was definitely over prescribed. She would have needed twice as big of a bottle, 40oz to get through 10 days.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meldawn1111

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My vet looked at the bottle and said the concentration of the medicine was low so the dosage was correct. The shelter that gave me the medicine never told me I’d need a refill so that probably would have been helpful. I’m glad to know she wasn’t being given too much medicine though!