Over grooming, tried everything

harrisonsheart

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My sweet Simon has has had axiety issues, now that I think of it, since I started working more 2 years ago. He is 3 years old. When I lived at my mothers, she told me he would cry in my room all day until I returned home. Then the over grooming started, but nothing too noticable. When I brought Harrison home- that all came to an end. Since Harrisons passing, Simon is now completely bare anywhere he can reach. I know it's not itching because I never actually see him grooming himself. I'm guessing it all happens while I'm not home. And when I am home, he is very persistent on getting my attention. Must sit on my lap, talk to me (the talkingis nothing new, though) and last night he even tried to pee on me! He's on ovaban, wearing a sentry collar, gets supplements in his food for healthy coat. I've tried plug ins. Nothing seems to work, although it's not getting any worse now.. doubt it could being that he's hit every spot though :/

My holistic vet is coming to the house today for overall exams. I will see if she suggests anythung diferent. But is there anyone on here that had had the same issue, and solved it?

Last edited:

mishicats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't have any experience with this type of situation but it sounds like he may be really lonely since your other cat passed.  Maybe he would like another buddy.  Someone to keep him company while you are at work.  Hopefully someone with a similar problem will give can give you advice. Good luck.

2tatocatz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This may be a situation where kitty xanax may be helpful, have you asked your vet?  Also, not trying to sell or promote anything, but I've heard good things about Feliway for anxious cats.

vilma pallett

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry to hear of Simon's anxiety problems. We have two four year old Skookham cats who live indoors only. One has developed a severe over grooming problem since January this year. Although the Vets say it might be stress related we really cannot see what stresses him out as nothing has changed within the household and our home is carefree and serene. We've taken him to a couple of Vets and a Homeopathic Vet, who is treating him at the moment with Chinese medicine and Acupuncture. We've got a Feliway Diffuser plugged in the house and Catnip plants on the windowsill which we were told has a calming effect on them. We have also had to put a plastic collar on him from time to time. At night we put a fabric collar which he does not mind to stop him from excessive licking. We have to take him back again for further Acupuncture and there is a slight improvement. He was also on a course of Cortisone but this caused an eye infection. Hope the Homeopathic solution works.

vilma pallett

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone for your suggestions...

I'm pleased to report that after about 9 months, it seems the issue may have been resolved..

We went to an animal dermatologist who recommended Cerenia (meant for human use really, but just to stop the itch for a couple of days); then over about 2 months, 25mg of Sporanox daily (it comes in 100mg capsules so you have to mix it in warm margarine, then left to cool); and half of 250mg tablet of Famclclovir, twice a day (total of one per day).  We also applied an anti-fungal cream and he had to wear a hard Elizabethan collar for a month or so.  But now the itching, redness, and excessive licking has all gone, and he's almost off all his tablets...We've been advised to start the Famclclovir again only if the redness/excessive licking starts again because otherwise he could build up resistance to it.

We hope this helps someone else with similar problems...

Good luck!