over eater

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have advice for an over eater? Just like clockwork my fat cat will go to the food about 5 seconds after I shut the light off at night, she'll eat, walk around, eat, walk around, etc until all the food is gone. There is no way she can be that hungry. None of my other cats can get food because she's a total hog. I think it's a boredom thing but this really only happens at night.

arr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You could try feeding all your cats a meal of wet food before bed, as much as they all want to eat, and then leave no food out overnight. The wet food will help them feel full longer as it is high protein and full of water.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi
Can you set up microchip feeders, or automated ones?

How? With 3 cats...
When she doesn't have food she goes & look for things to eat, mostly the chunks of carpet that has come off the scratching posts. I've also seen her chew up cardboard.

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You could try feeding all your cats a meal of wet food before bed, as much as they all want to eat, and then leave no food out overnight. The wet food will help them feel full longer as it is high protein and full of water.

At bedtime I put out a plain can of chicken, it's low in fat so that is good that she eats that. Problem is, she's such a hog, no one else can get any food all night!

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You could put a microchip door on a storage container with some food in it for the other 2. Most doors can be set for more than 1 chip. Then leave some out for your big girl.

Since she eats a variety of things, would she eat some veggies? Maybe cook them in low sodium, onion & garlic free chicken broth.

Does she eat like this during the day also? If this "eat it all right now" behavior is only at bedtime you could try changing the habit. Would she stay if you took her to bed with you?

Chicken sounds like a prized food. Maybe plan it for another time of the day and turn it into a ritual of it's own.

This video is a how to for a dog proof litter box but would work for food dishes:

This article has a list of cat safe veggies:

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You could put a microchip door on a storage container with some food in it for the other 2. Most doors can be set for more than 1 chip. Then leave some out for your big girl. - I'll look into it, thanks. Never even knew stuff like that existed!

Since she eats a variety of things, would she eat some veggies? Maybe cook them in low sodium, onion & garlic free chicken broth. - she eats anything.....

Does she eat like this during the day also? If this "eat it all right now" behavior is only at bedtime you could try changing the habit. Would she stay if you took her to bed with you? - I have all my cats in the room with me with the door shut at night. No, she isn't as voracious in the day then at night but she does walk around & visit the food dishes more then my others.