Over eager kitten plays too hard?

Artchic528

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten Ollie plays all the time, which is to be expected, he’s a kitten after all, but I’m finding his playfulness to be a little painful. He’s been without mom and siblings long enough, I think, that he didn’t get taught kitty manners by them.

Especially since he’s taken to playing with my hair while I’m trying to sleep and his claws often get into my face. I’ve got enough marks that I could be confused for a victim of domestic abuse! I’m thinking it’s time to get the clippers out and trim his claws for the first time. Any other ideas?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cutting his nails might help reduce your injuries a bit, but isnt a full solution -- you have to train the kitten. I've always just used a loud "no!"

From prior posts I know many think this is an overreaction, but I personally wouldn't let a cat that was clawing my face sleep with me for fear of an eye injury. The risk may be tiny, but its certainly not zero.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You could start with the 'No' as A ArtNJ suggested, even re-positioning him on the bed beside you, and gently hold him down while you say it. If you don't want to put him in another room when he doesn't respond, you might also consider a soft-sided crate/cage that you can place bedding or blankets in to make him his own 'bed' (see link below for an example). The crate can be placed on your bed or on a nearby table, and when he doesn't respond after a couple of 'Nos', pick him up and put him in the crate. That way he doesn't have to be completely separated from you. He will soon realize that the way he gets to stay out of the crate and closer to you is by not clawing at you. You will likely endure some meows and him scratching at the crate, but he should eventually settle down if you ignore him. You can also try covering the crate with a blanket if he doesn't settle down after a bit. He will still know he is near you even if he can't see you, but a cover can sometimes quiet a cat and encourage them to relax. If he does settle down, you can take him out of the crate as his 'reward' - but, the minute he starts the clawing again, back in the crate he goes.

This approach is not an overnight solution, it could go on for several days/weeks, but he will eventually get it. And, be prepared to lose some sleep! A good play session a bit before bedtime might help too.
Necoichi Portable Stress Free Cat Cage - Chewy.com

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Artchic528

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You could start with the 'No' as A ArtNJ suggested, even re-positioning him on the bed beside you, and gently hold him down while you say it. If you don't want to put him in another room when he doesn't respond, you might also consider a soft-sided crate/cage that you can place bedding or blankets in to make him his own 'bed' (see link below for an example). The crate can be placed on your bed or on a nearby table, and when he doesn't respond after a couple of 'Nos', pick him up and put him in the crate. That way he doesn't have to be completely separated from you. He will soon realize that the way he gets to stay out of the crate and closer to you is by not clawing at you. You will likely endure some meows and him scratching at the crate, but he should eventually settle down if you ignore him. You can also try covering the crate with a blanket if he doesn't settle down after a bit. He will still know he is near you even if he can't see you, but a cover can sometimes quiet a cat and encourage them to relax. If he does settle down, you can take him out of the crate as his 'reward' - but, the minute he starts the clawing again, back in the crate he goes.

This approach is not an overnight solution, it could go on for several days/weeks, but he will eventually get it. And, be prepared to lose some sleep! A good play session a bit before bedtime might help too.
Necoichi Portable Stress Free Cat Cage - Chewy.com
I have a large-ish nylon sided dog crate I can put him in at night. Thanks! He should settle down after a while if I keep quiet and cover it up in a blanket. He’s just at his “rambunctious teenager-y” phase right now where he has more energy than a whole pack of energy drinks and does zoomies everywhere. His most recent discovery has been the large potted plant. He loves being in the pot which I keep pulling him out of in fear that he’ll try using it as a litter box. 🙄

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
His most recent discovery has been the large potted plant. He loves being in the pot which I keep pulling him out of in fear that he’ll try using it as a litter box.
You could try adding pebbles, or those decorative colored stones, as a top layer in the pot. If not that, try foil paper. Something of that nature should help to discourage him from wanting to get inside the pot. If the plant is taller and narrower, you could even use a piece of chicken wire to wrap/place around the inside edge of the pot, maybe 6 inches high?

flybear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I built a larget indoor catio for my cats for sleeping ... has play trees and toys and a litterbox out of wire cube shelving ... it is wonderful as a time out and safe space ... after surgery, when sick ... I hiss at my cats when they hurt be or yelp loud ... or both ... and if all fails I pin then down and hold but this is not nearly as effective as having more than one kitten ... I ended up with a lot of medical fosters over the years that were all taken from mom too young ... I have tried every method but nothing is as effective to train kitten to be gentle than ... another cat ... instinct tells them to play scratching and biting but they learn not to bite too hard by their playmate complaining or an adult ... my very first cat was scratchy and used to be a bottle baby and only got significantly better with the arrival of two foster kittens who trained him very well 😂