Over 1week Old Orphaned Kitten Won’t Gain Weight

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Uzo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just milk at this age. No, do not force feed, but make sure it gets the minimum I stated during each 24-hour period.

How much has the kitten been eating at each feeding? Has it gained any weight yet?
It has been eating more than 2mLs every two hours. Sometimes it sleeps past its feeding time by an hour or a little more. It’s not very consistent with portion sizes. Sometimes 5mls, sometimes 7mls. Once it doesn’t want anymore, it remove its mouth from the feeding bottle.

it still has not gained any weight. The only reason I’m not worried sick is that it is active, especially before and a little after milk.

Uzo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You shouldn't force-feed the kitten, also is your kitten progressing? Kittens must have milk at that age, I'm pretty sure that's all. I think when Peaches is 5 to 6 weeks old, then you can start introducing him/her to dry food, but still keep on feeding him/her with milk! To know if your kitten is weaned I think you should check by with a vet, and also you can determine Peaches' gender
Thank you.
The only progress I can see is that it seems happy and active. When it wakes up hungry, it is dramatic for a few minutes before milk comes. It literally climbs my couch and tries to put its head between the cushions. Then after it’s fed, I can tell it’s happy, especially now that I’ve learned about ‘putting’. But it hasn’t gained any weight. Still 80g.

Uzo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pardon me, in Nigeria and no goats there?
Here in Sweden we cant get raw goats milk either. So my knowledge here is mostly by hearsey. Even if its massive and thrustworthy.

Other types of goat milk, alike powdered or bottled, are usually also OK to use. Although not the same potential plusses for sickish kittens.
Just make sure its full fat, no fancy low fat diet version. So, at least 2,5% to be useful... Natural goats milk is typically 3-3,4.%

So for example, the Meyenberg powdered goat milk is known as reliable.
There are goats in Nigeria. We’re just generally not a pet people. So anything that’s not for human consumption, you may have to buy outside of the country. We don’t even have fresh cows milk for humans, we use powdered milk. So unless there are people who drink goat’s milk (and there aren’t), we don’t have it anywhere.

We generally are okay with dogs as pets, which is why it’s easier to find Puppies Replacer Milk.

Uzo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
UPDATE:
Thank you all so much for all the useful information, I appreciate.
I have been feeding Peaches every 2hrs, (sometimes 3 when it’s sleeping). And each time, it eats 3mls to 5mls (or a little more). It still weighs 80g but I’m hopeful that this will change soon. It is an active kitten with a beautiful personality already.

I’m going to the vet tomorrow, fingers crossed about getting some more information concerning its weight.

Also, I have been stimulating Peaches to poo, but recently it’s been going by itself.
It poops and pees whenever and since most of the time it refuses to stay in its box of blankies, it’s doing all that pooping and peeing mostly in my bed.

It just climbs out of the box and finds comfy spots in my bed to sleep, or relax, or poo + pee.

I watched a video about litter training kittens, but I don’t know where to begin. My kitten is mostly sleeping. It wakes up to eat and then goes right back to sleep.

It pees on the bed and moves to a different part, poops there and moves again.

Also, since it hasn’t started seeing, even though it’s eyes are open, how will it see the litter box even if I tried?
Would having a litter box mean it can no longer sleep in my bed?
I was worried about setting up its box on the floor of my bedroom because it might climb out and wander without my knowledge. Also, my bed is really high but now I’m thinking it might be my only option.
Should I get a less shallow box? I just feel bad about putting it in a deep box that won’t allow it come out if it wanted, or am I being too much?

What’s the best way to manage this situation, please? Thank you.

ps: I have attached two photos, one of peaches in the box (in the car), one in a comfy spot in my bed.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The kitten may be too young to learn the box yet, so you must stimulate the kitten’s bottom to pee and poop before and after meals. Use a soft, damp cloth to gently stimulate.You can do it over a small litter box if you wish. Kittens usually learn to use the litter box around 6 weeks old, and if its eyes are open it can see. I do hope the kitten will begin to eat more soon and gain weight.

Kittycatcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A cardboard box would be absolutely fine, I'd personally put it in a deep one so it cannot climb out, you don't want Peaches getting into any trouble. You will definitely need a heat source in there though to keep it nice and warm as usually they have their siblings and mama to snuggle up to.
It is a concern that it's not gaining weight and still only 80g. Hopefully when you see the vet they can shed some light. Do you weigh at the same time daily?
I'm keeping my fingers crossed little Peaches is going to make it, please do keep us updated.

Uzo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone. Again, thank you so much for being helpful to Peaches and me.
I have just returned from the vet utterly heartbroken, even though the doctor says I should not be.

Apparently, the food weighing thing I bought from the store is crap because the vet checked Peaches and it currently weighs 0.02KG/20G.
I was so sad I cried at the hospital. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong.

This afternoon, just before we left for the vet, Peaches vomited a little. Just a tiny bit. It’s the first time that has ever happened. I told the vet this and she said I was doing just fine with the kitten.
It’s very active.

Peaches has been dewormed. I’m hoping this solves something. I was worried about the 80g, now I’m a mess. 20g?

Peaches had its milk at 7:40am this morning. It was really aggressive about feeding this morning and just grabbed the bottle and drank nearly 12mls.
It’s 1:48pm and it still refuses to feed even though it’s bren

The vet told me it’s full, that’s why it’s refusing to feed. She touched Peaches’ belly and said ‘look, its belly is full. You’ll know when it’s hungry again. It’ll tell you.’

I’m weary about the vet because they’re more experienced with puppies and dogs, not orphaned kittens. Owning kittens/cats in this part of the world is rare so I don’t know if I can trust what I’ve been told at the hospital.

Is there anything else I should be doing that I’m already not? I’m so sad.

Kittycatcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh gosh are you sure 20g is correct? That is massively underweight for a 2-3week old kitten and to be in honest I'd be surprised little Peaches would still be with us. A typical birth weight is roughly 100g.
She/he doesn't look ridiculous small from you photos. Are little ones eyes open now?
Are you able to order some good quality krm online?
For a kitten this age all you can pretty much do is feed every 2-3hrs, keep warm and toilet it, little Peaches won't be ready for weaning until roughly week 4.
It doesn't sound like the vet was very helpful to be honest. Did they not sex little one then?
Praying for Peaches, keep going hopefully things will improve but the frequency of feeding really needs to be more often. Bless you for doing the best you can, it isn't easy raising orphaned kittens.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My goodness! That vet is incorrect. There is no way Peaches weighs 20 grams. She would not be alive, nor would she drink 12mLs. She is now dewormed and should not need to see the vet again anytime soon as long as she is eating, drinking, and pooping well.

She looks very healthy in the picture and sounds active! Continue to feed her as you have been doing and try not to worry so much. Continue to offer milk and she will eat when she is hungry. You are doing a beautiful job! Peaches sounds like she is thriving! :) :lovecat2:

British Girls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey, I am so happy that you rescued this little one! Peaches is ADORABLE. Kudos to you! I was thinking that Peaches was probably 200 grams...a normal birth weight for kittens is 100grams and kittens should gain around 10 grams a day. Anything less than 87g is considered premature. If Peaches really was 20 grams (s)he would probably not still be with us.
Was Peaches fed before the vet? It may have been that (s)he overate a little. Also, If his/her eyes are open, she can see. As for litter training, at around week four, you can stimulate him/her in the box and gently take his/her paw and scoop some litter over it. (s)he will catch on soon. Also, at week 4-5 you can start feeding him/her some baby kitten food that is mushed up and mixed with KMR. Gently smear a little on her/her mouth (careful not to get any on his/her nose!) and (s)he should lick it off. Raising orphaned kittens is very hard (but SO rewarding) and I really respect you for it :hugs:

Last edited:

Uzo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh gosh are you sure 20g is correct? That is massively underweight for a 2-3week old kitten and to be in honest I'd be surprised little Peaches would still be with us. A typical birth weight is roughly 100g.
She/he doesn't look ridiculous small from you photos. Are little ones eyes open now?
Are you able to order some good quality krm online?
For a kitten this age all you can pretty much do is feed every 2-3hrs, keep warm and toilet it, little Peaches won't be ready for weaning until roughly week 4.
It doesn't sound like the vet was very helpful to be honest. Did they not sex little one then?
Praying for Peaches, keep going hopefully things will improve but the frequency of feeding really needs to be more often. Bless you for doing the best you can, it isn't easy raising orphaned kittens.
Yes, the vet was not helpful at all. I kind of knew they wouldn’t but I couldn’t not do anything.

I asked about the sex and I was told it’s too young to know. Nearly three weeks is too young to know for a vet? Sigh.

My friend who’s a baker is bringing me a proper scale this evening so I can determine Peaches’ actual weight, because from everyone’s response, 20g is impossible.

Thank you so much for your kind words.

Uzo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My goodness! That vet is incorrect. There is no way Peaches weighs 20 grams. She would not be alive, nor would she drink 12mLs. She is now dewormed and should not need to see the vet again anytime soon as long as she is eating, drinking, and pooping well.

She looks very healthy in the picture and sounds active! Continue to feed her as you have been doing and try not to worry so much. Continue to offer milk and she will eat when she is hungry. You are doing a beautiful job! Peaches sounds like she is thriving! :) :lovecat2:
This is such a relief, my god. I went back into the doctor’s office to see the scale used— pretty elaborate. I was scared!
Thank you, I will continue doing all the things.

Uzo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Its more probable its 200 grammes.
20 isnt possible at all.
This makes sense, and I’m happy to hear it! Clearly both my measuring scale and that of the vet’s are problematic. Mine said 80g, theirs said 20g. My friend is bringing me a proper scale this evening to have Peaches checked.

Thank you so much.

Uzo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey, I am so happy that you rescued this little one! Peaches is ADORABLE. Kudos to you! I was thinking that Peaches was probably 200 grams...a normal birth weight for kittens is 100grams and kittens should gain around 10 grams a day. Anything less than 87g is considered premature. If Peaches really was 20 grams (s)he would probably not still be with us.
Was Peaches fed before the vet? It may have been that (s)he overate a little. Also, If his/her eyes are open, she can see. As for litter training, at around week four, you can stimulate him/her in the box and gently take his/her paw and scoop some litter over it. (s)he will catch on soon. Also, at week 4-5 you can start feeding him/her some baby kitten food that is mushed up and mixed with KMR. Gently smear a little on her/her mouth (careful not to get any on his/her nose!) and (s)he should lick it off. Raising orphaned kittens is very hard (but SO rewarding) and I really respect you for it :hugs:
Thank you so so much. Yes, Peaches drank about 12mls milk the morning before we went to the vet. I was worried because I tried to feed it 3hrs after and it refused.

I read on the internet that although their eyes are open, they don’t see properly until about 6-7weeks. I should stop reading those! Sigh.

We should be ready for this litter training as you’ve illustrated by next week. The baby kitten food too.
I appreciate your reply and I’ll keep you posted as we go. ❤

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
One thing though, if you experimentate with different foods.
Kittens needs taurine. Natural or added. Its usually in kitten food, so giving kitten food makes it easy. its also in meat and meat products. (and goat milk I presume, because goat milk works ok).

But if you for example, give dog food or cat food for adult cats, there is a risk she will have too little taurine and she may get eye damages.

Uzo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One thing though, if you experimentate with different foods.
Kittens needs taurine. Natural or added. Its usually in kitten food, so giving kitten food makes it easy. its also in meat and meat products. (and goat milk I presume, because goat milk works ok).

But if you for example, give dog food or cat food for adult cats, there is a risk she will have too little taurine and she may get eye damages.
I will keep this in mind, thank you. Now I hope I find the appropriate food easily. 🤞🏾

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have you found a way to give her something washable on top of a material that is waterproof until you work out the litter box situation?
This might help;

Last edited:

Uzo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone, thank you so much for being here for Peaches and me.

I checked Peaches’ weight today and I’m happy that he/she’s actually 200g (+ a tiny little more!).
I’m so so happy + relieved, omg. I’m thankful I said something here and that many of you pointed out how incorrect the vet was.
I would have gone around sad and worried, had I not mentioned it. Thank you all.

Is it normal that Peaches pees a lot on him/herself?
Like beyond making him/her pee before and after each meal is me picking him/her up at mealtime to find that he/she’s soaked in urine.

Also, between when I get his/her milk and actual feeding, he/she pees on my bed or couch. I have to change the blankets in his/her bed regularly because between sleep and next mealtime, he/she would have peed in different parts of the blanket.

If this is normal, I can handle it until he/she is grown enough for the litter box. But if it’s not, should I find a good vet to go to?

Thank you everyone. I have attached a photo of Peaches on the scale. 🥰

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.