Ovarian Remnant Syndrome

thevoice

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there,
I'm looking for experience with ovarian remnant syndrome. I had posted in the behavior forum but wondering if this is a health issue.

My kitty has been peeing in the dining room, pissy with her brother, rolling around on her back, and won't shut up (chortling, meowing, yeowling). She is 13 mos. old and was spayed at 5 mos. She eats, drinks, poops and pees in her box but will also pee in the dining room (now on puppy pads). Examined for a UTI and that was negative.

I received helpful ideas on the behavior thread which has got us thinking that its not her relationship with her brother. We wondered if now that he's much bigger than her that it might of been a shift in the balance of power. Vet hypothesized it was idiopathic cystitis but she's also acting weird with no change in routine or environment.

Both my husband and I have had cats all our lives but mostly males. I've only had one other female that went into heat at 6 mos days before her spay appointment - lots of yeowling and presenting herself to me (like I was supposed to do something??). It got us thinking and googling about spays that don't take.

The other suggestions were that a kitty in heat is hanging around outside. We live near open space, so a kitty wouldn't last long before the coyotes, hawks or great-horned owls would grab her. There have been bobcats sighted nearby, so I'll take a look around the yard for bobcat scat, just in case. She has an ultrasound scheduled for next week. In the meantime, she's driving us nuts and her brother is confused as to why she's no longer his play buddy/surrogate momma.

Any experience with ovarian remnant syndrome?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thevoice

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
on the upside, her brother shows no interest in mounting her - so, his neutering "took". LOL

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have read about it, but do not have experience. If it is what is wrong with her, at least it is something fairly easy to fix i guess, even if it does call for more surgery. :( Bless her heart. Best of luck and keep us updated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thevoice

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well...she started showing classic symptoms of being in heat last night. She even presented herself to her brother (he still looks at her likes she's being weird). Even if I could get her in for a "re-spay" asap, we're going on vacation and I don't want her recovering from surgery while we're gone.
thanks!