Outside

puddy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi

I have a 10 month old female Kitten/Cat that i'm thinking of letting outside for the 1st time, what do's & don't should I put into consideration?

I have also been offered another kitten but unsure if I should take the kitten in now that mine has had the run of the roost for the last 10 months.

any advice welcome

cata_mint

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well I'm not much of an expert as to the 2nd cat- my two are sis and bro

but generally we on TCS recommend not letting your cats outside, due to all the possible dangers.
What I'm planning to do is get a cat proof fence, which allows them to go in the garden, and means you can have the back door open in summer, but also keeps them safe.
Welcome to TCS

Any chance of kitty pictures?

Here are some helpful links

http://www.thecatsite.com/Care/19/Th...Household.html
http://www.thecatsite.com/Care/215/A...rden-Safe.html

Kas

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally mine are both indoor cats as I feel there are too many risks to let them out, but if you do decide to let her have time outside I would introduce her to the outdoors gradually and stay with her at first. Make sure she has a collar with an ID tag - I would recommend the PetBack tag registration system run by the Missing Pets Bureau and get her microchipped also, this costs about £25 and your vet can do it. She should be spayed (too many kittens in shelters already) and up to date on vaccinations, and will need to be on a regular fleaing/worming routine.

I think if you have a garden, the best and safest thing you can do is either build an outdoor enclosure, or install cat-proof fencing - that way she can enjoy being out in the sun in absolute safety.

If you do decide to let her out, be aware that there are risks, I wouldn't let her out at all if you are near a road for example as I think something like 1 cat dies every 12 minutes by being hit by a car here in the UK. Also the risk of FIV or FeLV (the vaccine is only 85% effective). Just mentioning so as to make sure you are aware before making your decision

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello and welcome to you and your kitty

All my 4 cats are outdoor/indoor cats so I am very used to managing cats to the outdoors. The most important thing is that she is spayed, which if not already done then she is old enough to be

As you know cats have an excellent sense of smell and this is what your kitty will rely on when venturing out.

I would recommend that you are present during all times as possible when you let your cat out. Have a toy available, this will help you to entice your kitty back to you if you are getting anxious. Obviously in time you will not need to be there.

You will notice that the cat will only venture for a small distance, she will be getting the scent of the area into her memory, over time her circle of exploration will widen as she becomes more and more familiar with her surroundings.

When you 1st let her out, be with her, talk to her maybe walk with her to the part you think is far enough. Play with her and a toy. Develop your call for her, so she becomes familiar with that to. When she has had enough or feels scared, do not worry she will run back to where she feels safe - your house. Or as mentioned use the toy to 'take' her back to the house. You can control all of this as at any time you can pick her up and take her in.

Do this over a few months or more, you will know how well she is going on and she will soon get to know the area.

Well I´ll leave it at that for the moment - if you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.

Good Luck

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

puddy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi

Thanks for all the advice, i've done all the stuff you can buy like microchips, tags & vets but the advice you have given me about taking my time etc and being with her is really great and I will defo take it on board.
I'm just a nervous cat owner but I think my cat seem so excited all the time i'm hoping that fresh air might calm her down a little.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In the end, if she sees a squirrel or something across the road, and a car's coming, she'll take off after the squirrel and you'll be so sorry. I've seen it happen too often and all your good intentions no longer count afterward. It might seem romantic (or just nice) to allow her 'freedom', but the world is no longer a safe place for any animal, and she just won't live very long playing 'outdoor' roulette every day.