Outside Harness Time, Please Share Thoughts!

Simonalm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone!

It was so nice today and I decided what a perfect first day to take Simon out on his harness around our yard.. omg he loved it!!! We have a really big yard in a quiet area and he just took to it right away and was so comfortable out there.

He’s never been a door darter, he sits by the door when I’m outside with my dog and I will occasionally hear him meow but that’s it.. so my problem is tonight when I brought him back in the house he sat by the door meowing and walked through the house meowing and was definitely trying to sneak back out. I had him out there for about an hour today. I’d like to continue taking him out there as much as I can but some days my schedule may not allow it.

I’m wondering what others experiences have been? I know the pro’s of taking him out but what about the cons? Will he get over the meowing? He’s sleeping now but he did it for about 45 mins after. Will he get over the trying to sneak out? Should I continue taking him out or will that make this behavior worse?

Please share your thoughts! Thanks so much

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Some cats do love the outside so much that it can be challenging to give them all the time they want. Can you do a catio of any type?

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Here's what I've learned about cats that is relevant. Do not ever start doing anything with them that you are not willing to do with them all. the. time. I started brushing Ailish so she could get used to being handled, as some "together" time, and to cut down on potential hairballs. The first two times I did it was right after dinner. She loves being brushed and now loudly DEMANDS to be brushed every day after dinner. And she keeps demanding until I do it. I don't actually mind, but sometimes I have other things I want to do. I brush anyway. She knows two words - "brush" and "Ailish." "Ailish" to her means "come quickly there is food here."

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
But of curious, THEY get to decide what will become a daily must-do and when it will be done.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Luna became a door darter after letting her out on a harness. She wanted to go out all the time! And she tried to get out all the time. And she got lost for several days and didn't come back until I went out looking for her and found her and brought her home.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
How do you take him out? Don’t ever let him walk out on her own. Put the harness on him and carry hom out, preferably from a door that you don’t open as often (e.g., back door).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Simonalm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I carry him out and I carry him back in. I took him out again today for about 45 minutes while I drank my coffee. When I brought him back in the house he only meowed for maybe a minute! I think maybe he just loved it so much he wanted back out yesterday, if he realizes it happens frequently my hope is that he won’t cry about it when we come back in but who knows lol. I can deal with the meowing but I hope and hope this won’t make him a door darter.

We also live in Northern Michigan, so this is something that wont be happening in winter.