Outside cat came inside

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know if this is the right place to post this...

Socks the neighbors outside cat that I have been feeding while the neighbors are out snuck in. He had to have been inside 5 or 10 minutes, and he was playing in Dori's basket with all of her toys. I put him outside and took Dori's basket away. The first thing I thought to do was spray the floor and area Socks had been with Lysol to kill the germs. I know that he gets his vaccines every year and is well taken care of in that respect but I know there are still things he could give to Dori. Anyway, is there anything else I need to do, and do I need to go buy her all new toys since I have sprayed hers with Lysol, or will they be safe to give her once they are dry????

iceover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not to alarm you- but I read Lysol was poisonous to cats. I would not give the cat back any absorbent toys if they have lysol on them. If they are like plastic, well, i would soak the heck out of them.

But I may be wrong. Can anyone else weigh in on Lysol and cats?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't given them back to her yet. I don't think I am going to. I would rather be safe than sorry.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Tanya...I am so sorry...but yes, Lysol, like Pine-sol contains phenols which are harmful to cats. Best to toss anything you sprayed that can't be washed.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh yes, Pine-sol and Lysol are not good for the cats. If Dori is up on her shots she shouldn't be in any danger. Poor cat just wanted some good company is all. It's a shame he doesn't have a better home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I feel so bad for him
He's out thre this morning, I fed him and pet him for a few minutes. The guys that own him take care of him as far as vet care and stuff, but they don't spend any time with him. He just wanders around outside. I wish I could let him come in sometimes, but I know that isn't a good idea for Dori. She seems to tolerate him, but I don't want to risk her getting a disease of some sort. Socks has a clean bill of health as far as I know, but since he is outside there's no telling what other kitties he may come in contact with. Poor guy. He is the sweetest cat and he looks just like Elizabeth's Sasha