Outdoor litterbox for Feral's

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi all!
preparing to bring the cats in the backyard and I need to figure out the right kitty litter.
They all know how to use a litter box, I know this because I get Sammy and Blacky in the Garage everynight
and when I trapped Texy when he was injured and brought him in, he's ok with the litter box too.

I'm thinking my only option is clay litter (Yucky) but if anyone has any experience with that wood litter any info would be appreciated.
I'm dreading dealing with the clay litter and clumping litter would be bad because if the cats get their feet wet, they will have cement paws!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here is an older thread with some ideas

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Shadow, That is interesting I may try it.
I'm think I may try the wood pellets first, not sure yet.
supposedly the pellets turn to dust when they pee on it, not sure if cats will pee on pellets tho
ugh! I'm tired! hee hee

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
Aspen or cedar mulch, sand, raised beds with potting soil, compressed hemp bales, etc.

Technically for outdoors you just need something earthy that the cats enjoy digging into.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
looking for something not too hard to clean, Sand seems a possibility maybe can wash with water.
Since it is a yard tho, I may have to go with dirt that I replace periodically.
Thank you! got me thinking some more

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
Sand can sometimes be a pain to scoop.

I think people who typically use mulch and potting soil just kind of rake through it every few days, but I’m not entirely sure on the specifics.

I’m looking into this more in depth now too, so I will let you know if I get more details or find anything else that might be useful!