Outdoor/indoor Kitty Only Wants To Potty Outside!

Catlover579

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi I am new to this site and i really need some help with my cat Jonah! He is about 11 months old. I adopted him as a kitten in October. When i got him, i knew eventually I would plan on letting him outdoors a few hours only during the day when someone is at home. I decided I would wait until late March to start gradually introducing him to the outdoors just supervised for short time every now and then. That way he will recognize his home and get comfortable. (he was very shy and didn't have social skills when we first got him home and took him a while to come out of his shell. Anyways, since the first day home, he was using his litter box just fine. So since he's been going outside, he stopped using the litter box. He goes to the bathroom outside. The problem is, I don't let him out all day whenever. I have set a curfew to make sure he's not out at night. So he has a routine to go out at 6 am for an hour or two. I get him inside before i leave for work at 8 am . Then i come home for lunch at 12 and he gets to go out until 1:30ish/2. The days I am off he might go out again around 4 for a little while. But my goal is to make sure he's inside by 6 or 7 pm the latest. Some days he can't go back out after 2 pm. So my concern is, he is not going to the bathroom once he is inside! And I am worried about health problems this could cause. Especially on the days that he's home by 2pm. That means he is not going to the bathroom until 6 a.m the next day. He wakes me up early morning crying from 5 a.m,sometimes earlier because he needs to go to the bathroom. I have been taking him to his litter box and scratching at it to show him to go there.. And placed him inside it. It's like he knows what it's for but refuses to use it now. And i cannot let him out that early in the morning because we have skunks around here and raccoons. So that's why i wait until 6. Sometimes i let him at 5:45 but I feel that's still pushing it! I don't know what to do. Also, i need to make sure he starts using it soon because i live in Michigan and he has not experienced winter yet outside. So he won't be going out as much once winter comes. Especially since it doesn't get light out until later in the morning. Do you guys have any suggestions on what I could do? I had an outdoor/indoor cat before and he was still using the litter box normal and going to the bathroom outside also. I don't think him not using it is from any health problems. He just started doing this since going outside more. I feel bad for him and I really need to figure something out for my fur baby. Should I try filling the litter box with sand or soil?? But then i can't scoop it. He is very particular about his litters and litter box. I tried switching his litter system to the breeze box with feline pine and he refused to use it at all (this was before he stopped using it) so i had to switch back to his old litter. Thanks in advance! - Nicole

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My guys are indoor/outdoor with curfew and rarely use the litter box. My girl in particular refuses to use the cat door during the day and has been stuck inside up to 10 hours without using the litter box. While it is not ideal, it has also not caused her any health problems.

You might consider building a Catio that he can access on his own so he has an "outside" area he can go safely on his own. We have one for our guys to use when we are gone or at night. They are still getting used to it but it has cut down some on the 3am "I must go out" demands.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS.

You learned the hard way one of the reasons cats should never go outside, even if they are supervised. There is no reason a cat needs to be outside for even a split-second except for being carried to and from the car. Would you mind saying why it was important to you to make Jonah an indoor/outdoor cat?

You can buy catio kits or hire someone to build a custom enclosure. Depending on your budget and backyard size, your choices are unlimited.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2:

On the same idea as your soil idea, maybe try putting a bit of unfertilized potting soil on top of the litter to remind him that the litter box is his "bathroom". Or maybe try Litter Attract litter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catlover579

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your suggestion! I tried the soil last night and no luck! I will try Dr Elsey's cat attract litter next.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catlover579

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So i just went to the pet store and got Dr Elsey's cat attact litter and mixed with my previous litter (world's best cat litter ) which worked fine before this situation! And i was hoping for the best after reading all the positive reviews but was still nervous..And to my surprise as soon as Jonah got a sniff of the new litter, he crawled right in and started digging and then peeing! I can't believe it worked so quickly especially since he went to the bathroom outside couple hours ago. Highly recommend it if you have trouble with your cat using litter box! Thank you for all your advice