Outdoor Cats, One With Megacolon, Advice On Diet Needed

8kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello! I have a predicament with my 8 outdoor (on a farm) cats and was looking for some advice.

So one of our cats, Runty (neutered, vaccinated overweight 8 yo cat), was diagnosed with megacolon on May 7th 2018. We have never had any serious health issues with our cats, they have been typical outdoor cats until now just eating kibble and walking around etc. So it was a shock. It is amazing that we noticed that he had it at all since he is outside. Basically in early May we noticed that he was having difficulty going #2 (sitting in the yard trying to go for ages). We assumed it was worms since another cat had tapeworms. After all the cats had been treated for tapeworms though (a couple days later) he was still doing it. We tried giving him tuna in oil and olive oil to no avail. By May 7th he couldn't walk 20 feet in the yard without trying to go (by this time nothing was coming out #1 or 2). So we took him to the vet. The vet looked him over and after hearing that he couldn't go #1, said that it was extremely likely that he had urinary crystals (typical of neutered cats his age) and would need special food/medication for the rest of his life. She said that if he had this it would not be a one time thing and would need continuous care. We couldn't afford that and prepared to have him euthanized as he is an outdoor cat plus we couldn't monitor his litter box food etc as he is outside with 7 other cats. However we did say to at least confirm that was what it was and left him there. On the way home the vet called and said it was not urinary crystals and that he was constipated (so constipated he couldn't go anything). They kept him at the vet overnight and sedated and gave him an enema and x ray. We requested no medication. They had to sedate him because he is so fat the vet couldn't feel his colon. They said he responded well to the enema and had gone so much in the morning they had to give him a bath. They said that the stool was normal, there was just a LOT of it. When we came back in the morning to get him, the vet showed us the x ray and said he has megacolon. She said he would likely need medication but most cats with it end up being euthanized. She said that the fact that he responded so well to the enema (didn't need manual extraction) was a good sign though. We decided to take him home and if he relapsed we would have him euthanized. We got some wet food on the way home (we have never fed our cats wet food) thinking maybe that would help him. Right after we got home we saw him go #2 so we were hopeful. We started giving him 2 mini (half the size of regular) cans of wet cat food a day. This is in addition to the bowl of dry food all the cats eat from. I googled cat megacolon and did not have a good feeling, everything I read the cats were indoors and many had to be euthanized eventually or on expensive medication long term with side effects. Then I saw something that said Miralax was a cheap laxative that drew water into the colon and had no side effects. I thought, since we are already giving him wet food we could just add this to it. So I started giving it to him starting at 1/4 tsp. The next couple weeks were a disaster of me experimenting amounts of miralax, following him around the yard constantly to see if he goes, scares where he tried to go but didn't, and me thinking maybe it would be better to just put him down. Also trying to get him to drink more water which is hard since he is outside and water gets dirty fast.

But by early June I had a system in place:
In the morning I give him wet food mixed with a little water (oatmeal consistency) in a rabbit cage with a net over the door since the other cats steal his food. He has figured out how to leave the cage when he is done without letting them in. This took a while to train him.
In the evening I carry him into the back yard and he goes #2 (I have been documenting he has been going almost every day for weeks).
In the evening I give him 1/4 + 1/8 tsp Miralax in the broth from his food
Then I give him his food mixed with water to a soup consistency
Note that he rarely eats all his food (he just drinks the liquid out and leaves most of the meat) much to the delight of the other cats who all wait around the cage while he eats
He is still eating dry food (this food: Cat Food Reviews | Purina® Cat Chow® Healthy Weight the rest of the time)
Okay so here are my problems:
I know that the dry food is junk, but I am scared to switch it because after researching online the high fiber may be helping with his constipation
I also read that the "healthy weight" food is a trick, the high fiber actually makes them gain weight
I read that at some point the miralax may stop working
He is fat, and so is another one of the cats (10 yo Rusty who is 20 something pounds) but I have no way to diet them without the other cats eating their food or vice versa
I do not provide income in my family and I know we could not afford any drastic, expensive measures with the cats. I did research better dry foods for them before he got megacolon but now I am unsure what to do.
Sorry for the long post, I have been meaning to get on a forum for a while to try to find some real advice. :)

If anyone has any tips as to inexpensive ways to deal with Runty's megacolon and help him and Rusty lose weight, they would be appreciated. Am I doing anything wrong with the miralax? Even thought they are outdoors I want to help them best I can.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Really, the best way to get them to lose weight is to feed them a designated amount of wet food. Calories DO count, just like with humans. I'm kind of surprised that outdoor cats are overweight. Usually they get plenty of exercise running around chasing things, but so be it.

You can buy Friskies in large cans, which should be quite inexpensive. If you possibly can, portion it out to these two so they don't get more than their alloted calories, and those should be based on their weight and amount of activity. You can go as low as 15 calories per pound (of cat) per day to start. You don't want them to lose too quickly though.

As far as the Megacolon, did the Vet say he should have MORE or LESS fiber in his diet? That makes a huge difference. Ask about using pumpkin mixed into his wet food. Maybe one teas. per meal, up to three meals per day.

I used Miralax for years with my chronically constipated elderly cats and it never stopped working. They were NOT ever diagnosed with Megacolon however. I would continue to use it. If it stops, at least you got the extra time with your guy.

We have tons of threads about helping overweight cats lose weight. Here's just one: Foods to help my cat lose weight?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

8kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Really, the best way to get them to lose weight is to feed them a designated amount of wet food. Calories DO count, just like with humans. I'm kind of surprised that outdoor cats are overweight. Usually they get plenty of exercise running around chasing things, but so be it.

You can buy Friskies in large cans, which should be quite inexpensive. If you possibly can, portion it out to these two so they don't get more than their alloted calories, and those should be based on their weight and amount of activity. You can go as low as 15 calories per pound (of cat) per day to start. You don't want them to lose too quickly though.

As far as the Megacolon, did the Vet say he should have MORE or LESS fiber in his diet? That makes a huge difference. Ask about using pumpkin mixed into his wet food. Maybe one teas. per meal, up to three meals per day.

I used Miralax for years with my chronically constipated elderly cats and it never stopped working. They were NOT ever diagnosed with Megacolon however. I would continue to use it. If it stops, at least you got the extra time with your guy.

We have tons of threads about helping overweight cats lose weight. Here's just one: Foods to help my cat lose weight?
The thing is, I'm not sure how I would keep them from eating the other cats' dry food...

8kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The vet didn't say anything about fiber, does anyone have any megacolon experience? My problem is that (if you read my post above) I want to switch my outdoor cats off of their current junk dry food to a different dry food with less fiber (since i read it is better for them), but I don't know how it would affect my megacolon cat. I also don't know how I will diet my fat cats as they live outside and eat from the same bowl.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The best way to "diet" a fat cat is to feed the least carb food you can. If that has to be kibble, so be it. You'll probably need to do some investigating to find that food, but the problem with it is, it's usually much higher in calories, because it's higher in protein. That's much better for the cats, because it should make them feel more full, but if you cannot monitor just how much they eat, and they don't stop when they are full, it may not work :sigh:. Typically cats stop eating when they are full, but not always. I have one who is a little piggy, so must watch him like a hawk. (He's the one who convinced me to stop free feeding and start everyone on scheduled meals of wet food only...that's the only way I got him to lose weight!)

As far as low vs high fiber, apparently SOME megacolon cats need high fiber, and some need low fiber. Go figure! How about meds? Did your Vet prescribe any? I know you said he would probably need them, but did they prescribe any. Usually they give something to help with motility.

Their are lots of threads here about Megacolon. You can do a search from the "search" button along the top of the page, but here is just one thread: Megacolon

I would say your best bet is to try to get him to eat wet food simply for the moisture in it, to which you can add in Miralax. Adding extra water to the wet food is helpful too. Just those two things should help a LOT for his constipation. The pumpkin should help also, IF he likes it. That should also help him feel full. Then if you can get him to exercise, even better. That not only helps move things along, but should help him with his weight loss.

8kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Since I will have to feed my other cats dry food (I can't afford to feed them all wet), what do you think of this food guys?: https://www.chewy.com/evolve-mainte...aign=f&utm_source=shopping.com&utm_medium=cpc

It has 3% fiber (as opposed to their current food which has 6.5% fiber), and contains probiotics and dried egg! So if Runty does eat some (which he may have to eat at least some), wouldn't that be better?

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had a cat with megacolon and I learned to give her enemas at home, but she was docile and put up with me doing it. She lived to be 18 years old but I tell you, in hindsight, it was no kind of life for her.

Flash forward to 12 years later and I currently have a cat who does NOT have megacolon but she has always had very dry, hard stools and was only going maybe 2-4 times a week. She loves dry food. I was putting miralax in her food and it didn't do much for her BUT the game changer for us was I recently had our vet order Royal Canin Gastrointestinal Fiber Response. She has soft poops now, not runny, but soft enough to bend when they land in the litter box and she goes a lot. She feels a lot better. You have to have a prescription for it. You can find it off chewy.com but they need a prescription. I just had my vet order it and it's $43 for an 8.8 lb. bag, which does not sound like a big bag but it's worth it and it is going to last her probably 7-8 weeks. I figure would I rather spend $43 on food or $120 on a vet visit??? It also comes in canned but my cat doesn't care for canned food. If you don't want to try that, Royal Canin also makes a Hairball formula that is high fiber and Petsmart sells it. But this stuff we've been using -- the Gastrointestinal -- good stuff. I can't say the ingredients are the best (lots of rice and fiber, chicken, and some fat and other things) but she goes and she seems very happy and full of life. I'd rather have that than something uber nutritious that the cat won't eat or isn't working.

If your cat has mega colon a weight loss would be good but that is not going to change anything in terms with the gut and colon because that has ballooned out. I must say you are obviously a caring person and you are taking excellent care of your cat. No one would blame you if you let the cat go but there's still a chance things can get a little easier for your cat. Eventually the cat will succumb to it but that could be years from now.

And this is all my experience. I'm not saying this is your answer but this worked for us.

8kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a question for you guys. I will have to leave the house soon (from Wednesday afternoon to Thursday evening/night) and I don't know how I will give Runty his meds/food (he is outdoor, see my original post for details of my situation) Right now I am giving him wet food with added water 2x a day, with miralax added in the evening. He doesn't eat all the wet food though (the other cats eat it) just the broth, and eats some dry food (the kind I mentioned earlier, I still haven't switched to a better one). My problem is that since I will be gone I won't be able to give him the evening miralax/wet food or the next morning's wet food. The other cats are fine with dry food when we are gone, but I'm afraid Runty will pig out on dry food and get stopped up again if I leave. Right now I leave out almost no dry food at night but when I leave I will have to for the other cats since I won't be there the next morning to feed. Any ideas? Do you think he will be okay? I can't think of a solution other than starving everyone till I get back. I really don't want to board him at the vet since it stresses him out super bad and it just seems like one night would be okay....am I wrong? Could he get stopped up in that time?

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He could get stopped up at any time, the miralax could stop working. I would put the food out for them anyway because they depend on it.

FlawlessImperfection

Life isn’t perfect, and it’s lovely that way. ❤️
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a question for you guys. I will have to leave the house soon (from Wednesday afternoon to Thursday evening/night) and I don't know how I will give Runty his meds/food (he is outdoor, see my original post for details of my situation) Right now I am giving him wet food with added water 2x a day, with miralax added in the evening. He doesn't eat all the wet food though (the other cats eat it) just the broth, and eats some dry food (the kind I mentioned earlier, I still haven't switched to a better one). My problem is that since I will be gone I won't be able to give him the evening miralax/wet food or the next morning's wet food. The other cats are fine with dry food when we are gone, but I'm afraid Runty will pig out on dry food and get stopped up again if I leave. Right now I leave out almost no dry food at night but when I leave I will have to for the other cats since I won't be there the next morning to feed. Any ideas? Do you think he will be okay? I can't think of a solution other than starving everyone till I get back. I really don't want to board him at the vet since it stresses him out super bad and it just seems like one night would be okay....am I wrong? Could he get stopped up in that time?
I paid my 12 year old sons friend to sit our cat for a few days, and he did such a great job! He loves animals and she was most likely treated better than when I’m here, lol! You could find someone’s teen who is responsible and toss them a few dollars or gift card to their favorite thing, do you have anyone that could do that? Even a babysitter would be happy to stop by for a few minutes of work! Best to you and your kitty, you really sound caring and you are doing your best! Don’t feel badly, health problems are hard and I know cash is hard for many of us to come by, just do your best and go with your instincts! :hearthrob::goodluck:

Yodasmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat with mega colon also eats the Royal Canin food and it has helped. She is also on Lactulose, Cisapride, and Cascara, in addition to Prednisone and Cosequin for joint and back problems. I love her and feel awful that she has all this at only 9 years old, but it is a lot to manage. I turned down the big colon surgery because of the cost and possible side effects. I don't know how you are managing a mega colon kitty outside, but I give you tons of credit for trying.

8kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for your advice. The trip ended up being canceled but I will definitely need to plan for future trips.

Just in case anyone wants to know what he looks like, here's a picture of Runty (taken through the window). Not so runty anymore (yes he needs to lose some weight). :D

And here he is as a kitten for comparison (this was in June 2010).

8kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I get a "there was a problem uploading your file" message every time I try to upload.