Outdoor cat repellent

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
(Not sure if this is the right forum for this, sorry)

Does anyone have any first hand experience with outdoor cat repellents that are safe and effective?

We’re trying to keep some feral kittens in the wooded area where they live.

Now that they’re around 3-4 months old, we’ve recently caught them leaving the woods and coming out into the neighborhood which has a busy street (and curve that people are NOT careful on) right outside of where they exit the woods.

We tried one commercial spray so far that doesn’t seem to be workin

I also want to note that we are unable to use motion activated sprinklers/lights/etc since this is not our property and we don’t have access to electricity.

We also want to try and stay away from things like citrus peels as to avoid attracting insects and wildlife.

Thank you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
I should actually further clarify here (long morning, lol).

We’re specifically looking for a spray/scent based type deterrent.

We can use a physical deterrent like a scat mat, pecan mulch, lava rocks, etc on the ground, but they can evade those by jumping on the neighbor’s fencing.

We’ve had extremely dangerous (for the cats) encounters with these neighbors, so we cannot have them doing this by any means.

I really need something that I can spray on the outside and top of the neighbors fence that discourages the cats from jumping up there to access the neighborhood.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
a gallon or more weed sprayer filled with a mix of peppermint oil/water or a vinegar /water mix but you will need to reapply it weekly or every few days might not work once the kittens get older and wander more. is it possible to get em adopted into homes?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Would cat repellent like those sold in stores like Home Depot work? There are also a lot sold online.

There are also a lot of homemade versions available online like game misconduct game misconduct mentioned. I tried to use one once at another house to keep my one outdoor cat, at the time, out of the yard of a very abrasive neighbor. You do have to reapply all the time and I am not sure that it did anything.

Predator urine, which I have always found completely useless, might scare the kittens and cause them to run in a direction you don't want them to go.

Ultrasonic cat repellents?