Out of the blue stinky litterbox smell...

peeka73

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all,

I have 3 cats, and have 3 huge sterilite container litterboxes in the house, and I use the Petco brand unscented scoopable litter.  I scoop 2-3 times a day and today was no different from any other day.  Came home, fed the cats, and then scooped the boxes.  Then took out the trash, walked back into the living room and noticed a very strong smell of wet litter smell.. sort of dank-smelling.  I checked the box, nothing in there, looked around the box, no mysterious puddles (even used black light).. there are remnants of old barf stains, but nothing else.  It's been hours, and I can still smell it.  I moved the box into the kitchen and the kitchen has no smell.  Just the living room.  I am at a loss now where the smell is coming from, and if from the box, what I am missing at this point?  

I can replace the boxes, but I'm not 100% sure if it is the box?  It occurred AFTER I scooped the boxes.  It's a pee-soaked/wet litter smell.  

So at this point, I'm baffled at what else could be causing this?  

My boy Tripper just finished his round of Clavamox and phenoxybenzamine for his urinary issues, but he hasn't gone outside the box because I caught it early.  He is on Hill's c/d canned.  My 2 girls have their usual canned food with added apple cider vinegar.  So could it be related to his meds?  Or just a case of wet litter stench that is hanging around longer than usual?  

I'm sorry for all the questions.  I've been on my hands and knees trying to figure out the cause of the smell for a good 3 hours by now.  Am trying to figure out what else I may have missed?  :(

- Grace

PS.  It is a rainy day today, but never had this problem on other rainy days?

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Grace, sorry about the delay in responding to your thread! I have to laugh on hearing how you have spent hours on your hands/knees "sniffing"!! I have done the exact same thing and I am certain other kitty guardians have been in our shoes.

I am not sure IF the addition of the ACV could be causing a more pungent smell in the urine but found this thread on the use of ACV and thought it would interest you. (an older thread but still helpful) http://www.thecatsite.com/t/246382/apple-cider-vinegar-and-cats AND THIS ONE: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/279989/apple-cider-vinegar-and-cats

I don't know how much you are giving? daily? or weekly? I am not pinpointing the ACV either to the pungent smell you noticed. Since this was two days ago, has the smell dissipated some or entirely ceased? :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: that you have found the answer!!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

peeka73

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ahahah.. yes, I was definitely IN THE DARK, on my hands and knees with a black light searching and yes, sniffing for a possible invisible puddle somewhere.  For non-cat people, I must've looked INSANE!  :D

Interesting links on ACV.  But no.. there hasn't been any changes in the smell from using ACV in their diets.  2 of my cats have been on it for some time.  I give them a 1/4 teaspoon with their dinners.  

The smell did go away the next day.  I am still baffled because there is literally NO trace of that smell now.  The box has actually no smell since I scoop 2-3 times a day.  My guess is, might be a super-smelly poop + humid weather = dank smell that lingered far too long.  It probably didn't help that I wiped the boxes with vinegar, since that plus the

dank smell made things worse.  

Ah cats.. always finds ways to keep me on my toes!  :)

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad the smell went away. I had read this and it reminded me of the time I scrambled to find what I was certain was a pile of cat diarrhea somewhere. Nope, just the way the smell carried. Yup, black light on hands and knees....[emoji]128529[/emoji]

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I'm glad it's sorted itself out. 

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry late checking in here! BUT, very glad to hear that the "icky" smell has gone! Humid weather, ah yes, brings out many smells, most can be unpleasant! :lol3: