Our Toy Aussie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kristin_Happy Texan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe Kristin_Happy Texan Kristin_Happy Texan would want to set up a jump or two at home and see how her dog does!
Ha! No way. We're still working on "Stranger Danger" phobias, riding in the car... (which she used to be fine with until after she was spayed)... and potty training.

Also, as a puppy she had trouble with her back legs. She went to the vet many times and they couldn't figure it out. (She would scream so loud). Thankfully, these days her legs seem okay. (I've recently allowed her to start running again, and so far so good. I still keep an eye out for it though. It was so upsetting to watch her in pain like that before). She even 'yelps' sometimes when we touch her ears or front legs, or whenever she anticipates it. (Makes zero sense. She's always been handled carefully by us, because of her legs and because she was so tiny as a puppy. Maybe we just have a weird dog. Lol!)

Off Topic/Edit: I just found out her Daddy was 8 lbs and not 10. I keep mixing him up with the Mom, who was 10 lbs.

Luckily, I think Lillie is now losing a little weight. It's been on my mind. (Worry about her joints because she's so little otherwise).

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ha! No way. We're still working on "Stranger Danger" phobias, riding in the car... (which she used to be fine with until after she was spayed)... and potty training.

Also, as a puppy she had trouble with her back legs. She went to the vet many times and they couldn't figure it out. (She would scream so loud). Thankfully, these days her legs seem okay. (I've recently allowed her to start running again, and so far so good. I still keep an eye out for it though. It was so upsetting to watch her in pain like that before). She even 'yelps' sometimes when we touch her ears or front legs, or whenever she anticipates it. (Makes zero sense. She's always been handled carefully by us, because of her legs and because she was so tiny as a puppy. Maybe we just have a weird dog. Lol!)

Off Topic/Edit: I just found out her Daddy was 8 lbs and not 10. I keep mixing him up with the Mom, who was 10 lbs.

Luckily, I think Lillie is now losing a little weight. It's been on my mind. (Worry about her joints because she's so little otherwise).
On riding in the car, does she really like treats? If so, you could use that to your advantage. :)
My girl has stranger danger too, she isn't aggressive at all but she barks...and barks...and barks. She's very loud, and it's embarrassing and annoying. It's a challenge but I'm seeing improvements, little by little, just asking her to be quiet and rewarding her when she does, but it's a slow process. If I take her somewhere out of the house where there are strangers, I tell people it's NOT OK to pet her and will physically block them from her if I have to. The last thing I need is a set back by someone scaring her! (This is hard to do when you have a tiny dog that is cute as a button.)
On her legs, poor girl. Have you ever seen a tick on her, or did the breeder?
Keep her lean. Definitely good that she's lost a little weight if it's been on your mind. My first dog had some really bad back legs and the vet told me to keep him borderline skinny. It was harder to maintain his weight because he had so much coat, but, the leaner he was, the better he acted. Certain foods did seem to make his inflammation worse, so depending on what you feed her, keep an eye on the ingredient list and if you notice her worsening, check to make sure there wasn't a formula change.
Is she on a joint supplement? I've had really good luck with Green Lipped Mussel powder. My girl has a grade 1 luxating patella (it doesn't bother her at all, and she never "skips" in her back legs) and she's been on this for a year now.
I am not trying to lecture you or anything, just trying to save you some of the lessons I had to learn the hard way!! :hugs:

Kristin_Happy Texan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
On riding in the car, does she really like treats? If so, you could use that to your advantage. :)
My girl has stranger danger too, she isn't aggressive at all but she barks...and barks...and barks. She's very loud, and it's embarrassing and annoying. It's a challenge but I'm seeing improvements, little by little, just asking her to be quiet and rewarding her when she does, but it's a slow process. If I take her somewhere out of the house where there are strangers, I tell people it's NOT OK to pet her and will physically block them from her if I have to. The last thing I need is a set back by someone scaring her! (This is hard to do when you have a tiny dog that is cute as a button.)
On her legs, poor girl. Have you ever seen a tick on her, or did the breeder?
Keep her lean. Definitely good that she's lost a little weight if it's been on your mind. My first dog had some really bad back legs and the vet told me to keep him borderline skinny. It was harder to maintain his weight because he had so much coat, but, the leaner he was, the better he acted. Certain foods did seem to make his inflammation worse, so depending on what you feed her, keep an eye on the ingredient list and if you notice her worsening, check to make sure there wasn't a formula change.
Is she on a joint supplement? I've had really good luck with Green Lipped Mussel powder. My girl has a grade 1 luxating patella (it doesn't bother her at all, and she never "skips" in her back legs) and she's been on this for a year now.
I am not trying to lecture you or anything, just trying to save you some of the lessons I had to learn the hard way!! :hugs:
Oh, believe me. I appreciate any and all advice. (Lecturing never even entered my mind).

Unfortunately, Lillie isn't treat motivated. The closest she gets to that is when we put coconut oil on a Nylabone, but while in the car she doesn't care for anything at all.

A while back we got her some brand of joint supplement. I can't remember the name, but it was high end and has already expired. I'm not sure she even needs it, but at the time I was so worried. (The good news is she does run now without incident. She doesn't run much, but when she does she seems fine).

I hear ya about not letting strangers touch your baby. Lillie isn't much of a barker, and when we used to take her out in public - hoping she'd learn to enjoy it - she just acted scared and shook and wanted my Mom the entire time. Now that she's over a year old I worry about her snapping at someone out of fear, so that's another reason why I just stopped taking her places. She doesn't enjoy it AT ALL anyway, which is upsetting since we planned on started to travel a little bit. We had high hopes about that when she was a puppy, since she was fine with the car back then, but after that vet visit to be spayed it's all gone downhill. (I've tried getting her used to just sitting in the car - in the driveway without even turning on the engine - but that ended quickly because of the summer heat/humidity. Hopefully I can start trying those 'baby steps' again with the car now that the temps - on some days - are better).

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, believe me. I appreciate any and all advice. (Lecturing never even entered my mind).

Unfortunately, Lillie isn't treat motivated. The closest she gets to that is when we put coconut oil on a Nylabone, but while in the car she doesn't care for anything at all.

A while back we got her some brand of joint supplement. I can't remember the name, but it was high end and has already expired. I'm not sure she even needs it, but at the time I was so worried. (The good news is she does run now without incident. She doesn't run much, but when she does she seems fine).

I hear ya about not letting strangers touch your baby. Lillie isn't much of a barker, and when we used to take her out in public - hoping she'd learn to enjoy it - she just acted scared and shook and wanted my Mom the entire time. Now that she's over a year old I worry about her snapping at someone out of fear, so that's another reason why I just stopped taking her places. She doesn't enjoy it AT ALL anyway, which is upsetting since we planned on started to travel a little bit. We had high hopes about that when she was a puppy, since she was fine with the car back then, but after that vet visit to be spayed it's all gone downhill. (I've tried getting her used to just sitting in the car - in the driveway without even turning on the engine - but that ended quickly because of the summer heat/humidity. Hopefully I can start trying those 'baby steps' again with the car now that the temps - on some days - are better).
I would try the baby steps in the car if it cools down. If nothing else, sit with her in the car, read a book or play on your phone and let her get to the point she's relaxed, then back inside. It can't hurt!
I had a dog with two bad back legs, he was only about a year old when the vet discovered it. I never ever leashed and ran with him, but, if he decided he wanted to go for a run outside, I let him and assumed he would self-regulate, which he did. I hope it's the same for Lillie and she's able to know when she can run and for how long.
How does Lillie feel about things like chicken, cheese, or things like that when he's at home with no stressors present? My own dog goes absolutely nuts for any toy I happen to pick up, but if she's in a strange situation, she won't hardly look at the toy.

Kristin_Happy Texan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would try the baby steps in the car if it cools down. If nothing else, sit with her in the car, read a book or play on your phone and let her get to the point she's relaxed, then back inside. It can't hurt!
I had a dog with two bad back legs, he was only about a year old when the vet discovered it. I never ever leashed and ran with him, but, if he decided he wanted to go for a run outside, I let him and assumed he would self-regulate, which he did. I hope it's the same for Lillie and she's able to know when she can run and for how long.
How does Lillie feel about things like chicken, cheese, or things like that when he's at home with no stressors present? My own dog goes absolutely nuts for any toy I happen to pick up, but if she's in a strange situation, she won't hardly look at the toy.
So far, when she does run, she seems perfectly fine and happy. She does tire easily though.

Lillie has a sweet tooth, and she - sometimes - will beg for food, although she rarely demands/barks for it. When she was a puppy I was very strict about not paying any attention to her if she ever barked for food from me. Still... she can be picky. She isn't very food motivated, no matter the situation. In the car though she doesn't want anything. (She used to be fine with it, but that was back when she wasn't afraid of the car. I swear she now equates the car to when she had her spay surgery, and it's traumatized her. She did very well on her meds/recovery at home, but the car ride home was horrible. She cried, etc. It was awful).

As for toys... it's STRANGE! Lillie seems to prefer playing by herself. She gravitates towards certain stuffed animals, and she just tosses them around. Her favorite thing in the world though is even stranger. She loves, and is obsessed, with tearing up toilet paper roll holders. (With supervision of course). It truly is her favorite entertainment. Honestly, she isn't food motivated but toilet paper roll holder motivated. Lol! I think tearing it into long strips is like how popping bubble wrap is to some people. She just loves it.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She loves, and is obsessed, with tearing up toilet paper roll holders.
This is literally my cat's favorite toy as well. I cut them in half like this so I get two toys out of one roll.

I haven't had a dog since I was a kid (I still love dogs, but having a cat has been much easier as a pet owner as I entered my adult life and lived in rented apartments). But I am honestly curious about how a dog would play with toys that I currently give to my cat.

Attachments

Kristin_Happy Texan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is literally my cat's favorite toy as well. I cut them in half like this so I get two toys out of one roll.

I haven't had a dog since I was a kid (I still love dogs, but having a cat has been much easier as a pet owner as I entered my adult life and lived in rented apartments). But I am honestly curious about how a dog would play with toys that I currently give to my cat.
Ha! That's funny. I do find that some dogs do act more like cats. (Lillie probably does because she's the only pet right now. We had 3 senior dogs, which were all close in age. I'm seriously thinking of getting another dog only because I wonder if she needs a dog companion).

I feel the same way about cats actually. I LOVE cats, but my family aren't generally cat people. (They like them but prefer dogs). I love both, but it is SO TRUE that cats are just easier. They're more independent and less like children that crave your attention. I worry less about them and if you're away for hours on end they pretty much take care of themselves. All they need is food, water, a litterbox and their toys. They just aren't as "clingy" as dogs. That's been my experience anyway. I'm sure there are clingy cats out there, but I would think that's rare.

But after having said that about cats... I do NOT miss the litter box. Nope.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But after having said that about cats... I do NOT miss the litter box. Nope.
Haha, after everything you just said, I was thinking that after "switching" to cats (I couldn't have a dog in my rented apartment right now, anyway, but I've also come to prefer cats in my current life situation, and love them), I was thinking that I do NOT miss a dog's bathroom habits.

You live in Texas (I assume, by your name). I live in Wisconsin. I do NOT miss having to walk a dog when there is a blizzard outside. And then pick up his/her poop with my hand in a plastic bag. Nope, I am very happy not to have to do that anymore 😂

Of course, weather is getting warmer and warmer, and it's currently in the near-70s here almost in November... which is very unusual. But I know it's going to start snowing eventually, and waiting for a dog to poop, with bag in-hand, while it's snowing and cold, then having to pick up a warm, fresh poop with my hand in a bag, and carry it to a garbage can... "nope" is the only word I have for that. 😂

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Haha, after everything you just said, I was thinking that after "switching" to cats (I couldn't have a dog in my rented apartment right now, anyway, but I've also come to prefer cats in my current life situation, and love them), I was thinking that I do NOT miss a dog's bathroom habits.

You live in Texas (I assume, by your name). I live in Wisconsin. I do NOT miss having to walk a dog when there is a blizzard outside. And then pick up his/her poop with my hand in a plastic bag. Nope, I am very happy not to have to do that anymore 😂

Of course, weather is getting warmer and warmer, and it's currently in the near-70s here almost in November... which is very unusual. But I know it's going to start snowing eventually, and waiting for a dog to poop, with bag in-hand, while it's snowing and cold, then having to pick up a warm, fresh poop with my hand in a bag, and carry it to a garbage can... "nope" is the only word I have for that. 😂
That's the one downfall at work, taking dogs out in a blizzard. Luckily, even the snow lovers seem to tire of it easily and will do their thing then run back inside!
I litter box trained Livie. Funnily enough, she uses a tidy cats breeze system minus the pellets, so it keeps her feet and coat cleaner.
Breeze System
I taught her to "go pee" on command, so I can have her pee outside, in her box(es), etc. It's been a life saver.

Pywacket21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I got Pywacket 2 years ago, I had 2 dogs. Poodle and Maltese. Poodle and cat were best buds, Maltese still hates cat. Poodle went to Bridge in June. Maltese will be 14 on Halloween. Neither dog had any problems grabbing a catnip mouse, or other similar soft toy. Younger dogs might try to shred the soft toys, my seniors never did.

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She's very cute! I grew up on a ranch with Aussies and the occasional other herding breeds (rough Collies and Shelties). I love Aussies, they're really awesome dogs and I would love to have another Sheltie if I ever decided to wade into finding a good breeder. But I've become more of a Spaniel girl now. :lol:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She's very cute! I grew up on a ranch with Aussies and the occasional other herding breeds (rough Collies and Shelties). I love Aussies, they're really awesome dogs and I would love to have another Sheltie if I ever decided to wade into finding a good breeder. But I've become more of a Spaniel girl now. :lol:
That just means you need a Sheltie AND a Spaniel! 🤣

Kristin_Happy Texan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Yeah, that would suck. (I only mind the doggy bathroom ordeal when potty training is going on, and if there's a hurricane and they don't like puppy pads. Of course, around here I worry about dogs going out at night. It's really dark, and we have snakes, scorpions, etc. Even packs of coyotes sometimes, although it's the snakes I worry most about. The neighbors have a huge German Shepherd that would run off the coyotes most likely. He certainly ran off most of the deer).

We all have our horror seasons I suppose. For you it's winter, and for us it's summer. (And a bit after. Our summers tend to linger into "Fall" as I would think your winters do into Spring). It can get bone-chilling cold here (from the humidity) in the winter and early spring, but overall it's mild temps until Summer. (We've had many warm Christmases though, which sucks! I always turn up the AC then and use my imagination. Lol!)

But yes. I think cats are just easier. I MISS having one so much. I'm always saving cat videos off YouTube. So sad.

Last edited:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yeah, that would suck. (I only mind the doggy bathroom ordeal when potty training is going on, and if there's a hurricane and they don't like puppy pads. Of course, around here I worry about dogs going out at night. It's really dark, and we have snakes, scorpions, etc. Even packs of coyotes sometimes, although it's the snakes I worry most about. The neighbors have a huge German Shepherd that would run off the coyotes most likely. He certainly ran off most of the deer).

We all have our horror seasons I suppose. For you it's winter, and for us it's summer. (And a bit after. Our summers tend to linger into "Fall" as I would think your winters do into Spring). It can get bone-chilling cold here (from the humidity) in the winter and early spring, but overall it's mild temps until Summer. (We've had many warm Christmases though, which sucks! I always turn up the AC then and use my imagination. Lol!)

But yes. I think cats are just easier. I MISS having one so much. I'm always saving cat videos off YouTube. So sad.
We had a horrible snow storm a few years ago and the wind chill was many degrees below zero. My dog at the time was so thin skinned and sensitive to the cold, that I'd take him outside and within seconds his feet were frozen. He refused to use pee pads. He finally went out the side door in an area I'd shoveled and half peed out the door. :lol:
It's really hard having a dog that's not very food or toy motivated because the reward system is so narrow. I do know there's an attractant spray you can buy and mist the pee pads with. She might do better with a chunk of that artificial turf/fake grass stuff, too.
Amazon.com
This was a few years before I was born, but one year at Christmas it was in the high 70's with sun. A few weeks later, an historial blizzard hit (the Blizzard of '78) and it dumped several feet of snow, 40 mph. winds, knocked people's power out for days, etc. I'd like something a little bit in between those two extremes!

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've had many warm Christmases though, which sucks! I always turn up the AC then and use my imagination. Lol!
Thats one of the things I love about living up here. I'm not even religious (I am personally atheist by belief, but half-Jewish/half-Christian by family traditions), but I love when it snows around Christmas/Hanukkah time. I celebrate the holidays despite my beliefs. There is nothing better than a day off around the holidays, when there is a blizzard outside, and you don't have to go anywhere.

I truly never expected to fall in love with cats. But I did. The first cat ever to enter into my life -- my current cat, Willy -- completely changed my perspective on cats. He is the friendliest, most affectionate animal I've ever known, even after growing up with dogs that I also loved.

Cats fit my lifestyle best as I rent apartments. And I never realized how affectionate they can be. (I know not every cat is that way, but Willy truly opened my eyes in terms of cats having that loving capacity towards humans.)

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
There is nothing better than a day off around the holidays, when there is a blizzard outside, and you don't have to go anywhere.
I completely agree! :agree: Our last dog, a German Shepherd and my soulmate, lived for winter. I loved to see him run out on the first snow of the season. It made him so happy. I'd put on my insulated waterproof boots and we'd take long walks before the snow was plowed. The best were the snow banks that he couldn't wait to jump into. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore cats and we've always had one or more cats in our home but there's something about sharing your life with a dog that is truly special. 🐾

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore cats and we've always had one or more cats in our home but there's something about sharing your life with a dog that is truly special. 🐾
I agree. When you walk your dog every day, you not only get a little bit of more exercise, but you also share your dog's experience of getting excited about sniffing everything, and watching them be so happy outside.

If I get another cat after Willy, I will seriously look into harness training. I wish I could take him outside right now, just so he'd experience it, since he has cancer right now. I wish I started that years ago. (I can't do it now, or at least assume I can't, because I am in a very populated area of a major city, and there are tons of stimuli and dangers outside here. I just don't think he would enjoy it, and I'd be constantly worried.

But yes, going on walks with your pet is such a mutually bonding experience. I know how it feels with dogs... I'd love to experience how it feels with a cat as well.

Kristin_Happy Texan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In the past I had two dogs that LOVED cold weather! When it is cold here, it's almost always raining and windy, too, and those dogs both would lie in the wet grass in that cold. They loved it. (I had these dogs at different times. We had "Bambi" first, and then after she died we got "Maddie Kate Scarlett O'Hara." Both were rescues and whip smart! They were a lot alike. We often joked that Maddie was Bambi returned to us in her second life. Lol!)

Our little Aussie I'm discovering doesn't mind the cold either. (Or the horrific heat). She just dawdles... and dawdles... and lies down in it to watch the birds. (This morning it's very cold for a change - and wet of course - and TWO LARGE BEAUTIFUL BUCKS passed our gazebo and fence where Lillie was near, and I don't think she even noticed). I saw this morning that all her adorable sweaters are too small now, so we got her a replacement. I wish she loved to wear them, but she's not a fan. I only make her wear them when it's unusually super-duper cold. (Like those freak snows we got the last couple years. I had NEVER seen snow like that in my entire life. It was awesome! I'm not a fan of super cold, but I'm also not a fan of the heat. After Hurricane Ike we lost our power for 15 days. It was a horrific experience because when it's that hot and humid and there's no AC - except at night when we turned on our generator to one bedroom for a portable AC - there's not one thing you can do to cool off. At least when it's cold you can build a fire and layer up the clothing. Even our poor animals were getting sick in the heat. I felt so bad for them).

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
iPappy iPappy maybe someday I'll look into Sheltie breeders and find one that I'm happy with. I'd love another if I could find one that was pretty confident.

I love the cold, as long as I'm appropriately dressed for it. :lol: I do not like the heat, ever. I think Chisum likes the cold but I usually have him wear a sweatshirt if it's too cold, or boots if there is snow on the ground, because it really aggravates his arthritis.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thats one of the things I love about living up here. I'm not even religious (I am personally atheist by belief, but half-Jewish/half-Christian by family traditions), but I love when it snows around Christmas/Hanukkah time. I celebrate the holidays despite my beliefs. There is nothing better than a day off around the holidays, when there is a blizzard outside, and you don't have to go anywhere.

I truly never expected to fall in love with cats. But I did. The first cat ever to enter into my life -- my current cat, Willy -- completely changed my perspective on cats. He is the friendliest, most affectionate animal I've ever known, even after growing up with dogs that I also loved.

Cats fit my lifestyle best as I rent apartments. And I never realized how affectionate they can be. (I know not every cat is that way, but Willy truly opened my eyes in terms of cats having that loving capacity towards humans.)
I really feel like if people put as much effort into raising their kittens as they do their puppies, they would be amazed at what they ended up with as far as their cat. Willy is so lucky to have you.