Our Sweet Girl Haley And Fate

CalicoHaley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello All,

I'm new here, though I have been reading through the forums since our girl started having seizures and was diagnosed as diabetic in early March. In fact, it was a post in the health forum here that talked about stress-dumping of glucose and linked over to Felinediabetes. I clicked the link and read there that I should check her blood sugar before giving her the vet-prescribed insulin. I did and found her blood sugar was completely normal every time I took it. She was mis-diagnosed as diabetic after one random blood glucose test (do NOT let a vet do this, btw). She had just had a grand mal seizure before the blood draw and indeed had a HUGE glucose stress-dump in response to the seizure, which the vet did not consider. We probably would have lost her had we given her the 2 u's of insulin that day. So, first, thank you so, so much for helping her live another good month with us.

Now, for the unfortunate reason I registered.

This is our sweet girl Haley.

She was our 9 year old, 23 pound, absolutely beautiful calico who adored being pet and purring up a storm, going berserk over her red ribbon, giving the hardest love bites we've ever gotten, and rolling over onto her back to meow at us happily when greeting us or just because she was so comfortable and relaxed.

(Here she is on her back with her adopted brother Percy!)

My boyfriend and I had to help Haley cross the Rainbow Bridge quite suddenly this afternoon. She had had two seizures since February and her pupils became different sizes and never recovered (though they would constrict and dilate at the same rate), so everyone figured something malignant was going on and we should probably prepare, but...

We just thought Haley might pass in way with more peaceful preceding circumstances, that we had a little more time with her. We thought a seizure might take her months or years from now, that our vet (who very negligently mis-diagnosed her with diabetes in the completely wrong way) was wrong about her "probably" having a brain tumor. I thought I was going to have more time to push back for a heart work-up and ultrasound because I was growing increasingly worried that she actually had been having hypertension-induced seizures as well as the beginning stages of heart disease or heart failure.

And now I feel so, so angry and sad and regretful and GUILTY that I didn't push back sooner. I'm so unbelievably mad that our vet was convinced early on-without doing a full work up-that Haley had a brain tumor and hence didn't pursue other explanations nor treatments. I know she may still be gone right now even if he had, I understand that the prognosis for her wasn't very good now that we know what took her, but we could have known this was a risk sooner, we could have tried to put her on blood thinners, we could have tried something else to give her a chance. I feel so utterly awful. I feel like I failed her. I failed to advocate for her. I failed to be a good mom and a good friend.

FATE suddenly happened and given the prognosis for FATE and how much pain she was in and the trouble breathing she had, the most humane option was to put our sweet girl down. Some of you are very sadly acquainted with the acronym. It's cruelly apropos, isn't it...? I woke up to Haley having just suffered an episode of Saddle Thrombosis, only the clot was lodged more so into the right iliac artery than in the saddle. She was yowling and writhing around in pain, panting heavily, and her right leg was completely lame... she was so scared. I'm just at a loss, particularly that she suffered through the majority of her last two hours alive.

God, it was horrible. She didn't deserve this. She was such a good girl, a wonderful friend.

My boyfriend and I decided that if the vet suggested the best thing for her was to be euthanized, he should okay it. But I asked him not to call me to let me know or confirm. I wanted him to focus on Haley exclusively, to give her all of his attention and love in her last moments so she wouldn't be alone and would know how much we loved her. I couldn't go with him because we had his niece and nephew... he was babysitting for the day. He didn't want to let me go because I would have been there alone; he knew it would devastate me. So before he took her off in the carrier I hugged her, kissed her head so many times, pet her, and told her how much of a good girl she was and that I loved her so much, and thanked her for being part of our family. She nuzzled my hand one last time through the carrier door before they went out of the door.

If there's any solace in this, it's that she didn't go alone. We didn't come home or wake up to her having passed alone and in pain. She was given a pain killer and sedative and she fell asleep next to my boyfriend, her head on his hand as she often did, free from pain. He pet her and told her we loved her and that she was always going to be our sweet, good girl the entire time before she went. I asked him to make sure to do this for me, for her.

We adopted her together almost nine years ago from the old SPCA facility in North Tonawanda. I still remember being in a room with a litter of eight or nine kittens... and out of all of them, she was the one that ran up to us. Her markings and personality struck us and our hearts, and we decided she was the one. She grew up to be a beautiful, wonderfully stubborn and gentle cat, and I'm so glad we could give her love, a good home, and food in her belly just as I am that she gave us her companionship and love.

I hope to God that she knew somehow, someway how much we loved her, and I hope that we gave enough back to her for all the love she gave and showed us. But... it takes a lot of love to let them go when all you want is to be with them forever, doesn't it?

We buried her in the garden with her favorite red ribbon. Come the next few weeks, we'll be planting an annual flower on top of her and come fall, we'll be planting perennial bulbs (all white flowers) in memorial. Among the flowers, we're placing a statue of a fat and lazy cat on its back, relaxed and smiling happily. We feel it's only fitting.

Heaven got a very good, sweet girl today.

We love you so much, Haley. Hopefully we'll meet again <3

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This wonderful post brought tears, lots of tears, to my eyes :bawling:

You didn't fail her at all, your vet did. He is the only one who must feel ashamed for something.
You didn't fail her because you loved her, you fed her and gave her a warm place where to live. You did what you could, you have no regrets!
She chose you when she was a kitten and that means she knew that she would have received all she needed, she felt you were right for her, that you would have given her what she was looking for.
Cats feel who the right person for them is.

You gave her what she needed till the end, you didn't leave her alone, she felt your love and went quietly, with her heart full of love from you and for you.
Yes, I'm sure that Heaven has a new very precious gem today. And when you look up to the sky you will see her, the brightest star of all.

RIP Haley, take care of your Mom from up there!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I’m so glad you joined TCS to share your and Haley’s story. I believe our kitties know how much we love them and that we do the best we can for them. Haley was clearly loved and well cared for. I’m so very sorry for your loss. :hugs:

RIP, little Haley girl. :rbheart:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for this beautiful tribute to such a precious girl. No matter how much time we have to spend with them, it is never enough. You couldn't let her suffer, you gave her that last gift of peace, somehow finding the strength through your love. It was her time, she was called and she had to go. She didn't want to leave you, and the bond she built link by link over those nine years will always be her gift to your soul. It can never be taken from you, and though she follows a new path now, this path will never stray far from your own.
Try not to dwell on the end, on all those should haves and could haves, to do so brings nothing but pain, and it allows the death to be more important than her life. That should never be. She gave you a treasure that can never be matched, she gave you her love, and the joy and happiness that comes with it. You, in return, gave her what she wanted the most in this life, your love. Love is spiritual, so therefore eternal. Love wants only happiness and sunshine in the life of the ones you love. She wants no different. She wants the light in your life to go on into the future, not the darkness that comes from letting the pain take over your life. She is near, she always will be. The 'essence' that was your sweet Haley will live on through your memories and is forever a part of your soul. Time is the only thing that helps, and one day you will realize that your sweet memories will bring a smile to your heart instead of the tears to your eyes.
My heart goes out to you, I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers. I know how much this hurts and how long it takes to work through it. Take care.......RIP beautiful Haley. You will never be forgotten and will forever dwell in a loving heart. may the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I couldn't say it any better than those before me here did, you did nothing wrong, sometimes these horrible things just happen for whatever reason, and it is always very hard to have to "play God" and decide when it is time to put them down, but she was ready and is relieved to have shed her pain ridden Earthly body in exchange for Angel's wings. She is fine now, no more pain or problems, just fine and yes you will see her again someday!!

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I am sorry you lost your little friend, I hope your heart heals a bit more each day, Lord Bless you.....:alright: :grouphug: :rbheart:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Haley, dream you deep. You walk in someone's heart forever.

Oh, she knew, and knows still, how much she was, and still is, loved. And that love is still returned to you. Love does not die with the body. It changes form, and moves forward, rarefied, purified, but still and always love. She is with you still. Love abides. When all else fails, love abides.

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry you lost your sweet friend. Your post brought tears to my eyes.
Just remember, love never fails. You didn't fail her at all. She knows that. Whatever happened was going to happen.