Our old boy Travie

Status
Not open for further replies.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
This is Travis, one of the kitties we took in after our friend passed last year.  It will be a year next month that we got him and his three roommates--I can't believe it's been that long already!  Travis will be 18 in June.  He's got his issues--he's got kidney disease, some arthritis, is a bit wobbly and forgetful, misses the litter box sometimes 

Trav!

Last edited:

susank521

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Don't you love the eyes of the older ones? There's so much content in them; tolerance, wisdom, courage, love. He looks great for a sometimes cranky old man! Rock on Travis! What is the treatment plan for his kidney disease? 

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

betsygee

Staff Member
Purraise

Don't you love the eyes of the older ones? There's so much content in them; tolerance, wisdom, courage, love. He looks great for a sometimes cranky old man! Rock on Travis! What is the treatment plan for his kidney disease? 
You're absolutely right.  He just looks at me sometimes with those big old eyes, like he's trying to tell me everything's okay.  
  Yesterday he was RUNNING up and down the hall with Ozzy--they were chasing each other and play fighting, and then chasing each other around the couch in the living room.  So cute.  He's still got some life left in him!

Travis had bloodwork with a previous vet about 9 months ago and they told me he had 'stage I' kidney disease but didn't suggest any treatment at that time.  The new vet I just took him two a couple of weeks ago thought he was dehydrated so we've got him on subq fluids 2-3 times a week for a month and then I'll take him in for updated blood work and we'll see where we go from there.  

betsygee

Staff Member
Purraise
just got great news from the vet. Travis' bloodwork was great!! His kidney disease is holding steady at stage 1, stable from a year ago. His CBC and everything else the vet said is 'fantastic' especially for a guy his age. :clap:

We also got some Dr. Elsey's litter for his pooping outside he box issues recently and it;s WORKING!! He still pees outside the box but I have puppy pads on a tray and he only goes there, so at least it's contained and easy to clean up.

So all is well in Travie's world, and mine.

Sorry for typos--I'm on an iPad in a moving car. LOL

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
That's great news all around (okay, except for the peeing, but it sounds like you've got that under control). :clap::clap::clap:

betsygee

Staff Member
Purraise
Yey for Travis! That is fantastic news. Will you have to continue the subq fluids?
I'm not sure about the fluids. I was on my way out of town this morning and got the voicemail from the vet with the test results. I'll be calling her on Monday to see if we continue the fluids or what the plan is with that.

@jcat Yeah I don't know why he keeps peeing on the puppy pads when he can obviously get into the litter box when he wants to poop so it's not an arthritis issue or something. But for now I'll deal with the pad/tray combo. At least he goes consistently in the same place so I'm not having to deal with pee all over the house or anything like that.

betsygee

Staff Member
Purraise
Well--HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Travis.  I thought his birthday was in June, but I was looking at his records and they say March 28.  So he's officially 18 now.  Sweet boy.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, he CAN"T be 'cranky', he's too beautiful!!!! Happy birthday Travis!!!!   And here's to a happy, healthy coming year!  

betsygee

Staff Member
Purraise

Oh, he CAN"T be 'cranky', he's too beautiful!!!! Happy birthday Travis!!!!   And here's to a happy, healthy coming year!  

LOL  He's pretty good.  But if one of his tribe disturbs his sleep, or somebody wants to get between him and his place on mom's lap, he will give them a nip on the neck to remind them to not mess with him--he's still the big kahuna.  

agpoe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lovely old cat you got there!

When I find a place with a garden we are planning to take a old cat from the animalshelter.

Really great you took Travis in to spend his last years in, what looks like, a great way..

susank521

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Poor Travis. I'm so sorry to hear about Molly. Lots of hugs to all of you.

Wonderful news about his weight!
 That's quite an accomplishment, getting an older one to actually gain some weight. It's all thanks to your wonderful care. 

He is such a pretty boy.  I can only imagine how good that sunshine feels to his old bones.

betsygee

Staff Member
Purraise

So sorry about Molly and I hope Travis is well.     
Thank you.  Travis is back to sleeping okay--he and Molly used to sleep snuggled up together, so I think it took him awhile to get used to her being gone, I think.  He's doing better now.  

Status
Not open for further replies.