Our neighbors are trapping and dumping out cats

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
I don’t know what to do. I’m crying my eyes out right now.

We found a makeshift trap in our neighbors yard. We’ve had immense trouble with these neighbors in the past.

We have recently had some cat’s disappear, including a kitten, and most recently out friendly cat who is completely obsessed with us and we were going to bring in once the kittens we have right now have all been rehomed has been missing for 5 days.

I believe they are being dumped because every single cat in this colony is microchipped, and no one has called us.

I don’t know what to do. I’m completely heartbroken, terrified, and devastated.

And yes - we have tried to educate them, we even offered to buy them deterrents and cat proof their fence (the cats don’t actually go in their yard because they have a big dog, they just don’t like even SEEING them), and they will have none of it.

Attachments

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe they are being dumped because every single cat in this colony is microchipped, and no one has called us.
I don't want to scare you but are you sure they are just taking them somewhere and dumping them? You would think at least 1 would wind up at a shelter or something..
Can you call animal control, or the non emergency police to explain they are a colony that are all chipped and belong there?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:yeah: I would also ask about the legalities of removing the cats to another location rather than handing them over to Animal Control or a rescue/shelter. Find out all you can, and then maybe have a conversation with these neighbors about other 'options', like handing them over to you instead, especially if there are any fines involved with what they are doing.

It might not be a bad idea to still put flyers out for the most recent missing cat, if not some of the others as well - maybe some other neighbors might have some helpful information for you that they may not 'volunteer' otherwise.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I completely agree with the above. In CA, just for example, it is illegal to dump an animal and is punishable by 6 months in jail and/or a $1000 fine. Of course it happens, but the point is that someone like your neighbor could be intimidated or warned by AC or police officers.

I hate to say this, but depending on where you live, broaden your search. Dumpers often use wooded area, national forest and park areas, or unfrequented highways.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I completely agree with the above. In CA, just for example, it is illegal to dump an animal and is punishable by 6 months in jail and/or a $1000 fine. Of course it happens, but the point is that someone like your neighbor could be intimidated or warned by AC or police officers.

I hate to say this, but depending on where you live, broaden your search. Dumpers often use wooded area, national forest and park areas, or unfrequented highways.
It is illegal here in WV as well.. I wasn't sure if there were actual laws against dumping animals so I checked my state and sure enough it is. There are multiple laws protecting animals which is amazing. Unfortunately people will still dump them which is not right at all..
I would look up your state laws and see if it is also illegal in your area. If so call the police (non emergency police) and animal control someone will tell you what steps you need to take to stop the neighbor.

I hope you figure out a way to shut down your neighbors trapping and dumping.. what they are doing is not right I wish they would talk with you and work something out.. like C'mon really they don't even want to see them. That is horrible that they would do that just because they can see the kitties. Bad people all over the place its so sad.

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That is sadly true about the places dumpers use. It is almost certain that three of my intentional adoptees started out as a dump job. They were found in September 2012 on a highway about 30 miles from any house. It took quite a bit of time and persistence, but the three that had been originally spotted were eventually trapped and brought into the shelter that I ultimately adopted them from. (These are my Autumn, who was probably mother of the other two, Domino and TV--when they were caught, Domino and TV were transitioning baby/adult teeth and guessed around 4 mo. Autumn had all of her adult teeth at that time, but was probably less than a year old, so likely her first heat produced those two). Of course, whoever was responsible for dumping them was never caught.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The whole thing seems fishy.... I hope they aren't making them "sleep with the fishes" as it were.

Some people do do that instead of spaying their cats sadly.
This was my thought about the whole situation. I pray I'm wrong and they are all ok but I can't help to feel that they arent..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moxiewild

Super Cat
Purraise
I don't want to scare you but are you sure they are just taking them somewhere and dumping them? You would think at least 1 would wind up at a shelter or something..
Can you call animal control, or the non emergency police to explain they are a colony that are all chipped and belong there?
Of course I can’t be sure. They have tried to injure the cats once before, and they have destroyed our shelters and damaged our traps following our offers to buy them deterrents and cat proof fencing, which they declined. They have also made attempts to block our access to the colony (we access it by a small gap between the corner of their fence and the corner of another neighbors fence that leads to some woods behind their property).

So they have been fairly aggressive with us, to the point that we are trying to find land to relocate the colony. I still don’t think they would intentionally harm them, but it is a definite possibility. I’m more concerned that they will die in this trap they have, as their appears to be little to no airflow, they’re putting it out in the heat of the day IN TEXAS, and no one appears to be watching it.

I think it’sunlikely the true ferals would end up at the shelter tbh. The friendly one might eventually if he comes across a Good Samaritan.

I emailed the local ACS. They are closed Wednesdays, so I will need to follow up by phone in the morning. I called shelters and rescues that I could though with no luck. I also posted to 3 local facebook groups + Nextdoor + put out a lostmykitty alert on the friendly one + contacted the feral cat coalition in the city closest to us (waiting to hear back).

it is legal for them to trap the cats on their property, but illegal to dump them. However, it’s virtually impossible to prove they’re dumping them :( we can’t even put cameras out because the trap is in their front yard, which is surrounded by open, busy sidewalks.

moxiewild

Super Cat
Purraise
:yeah: I would also ask about the legalities of removing the cats to another location rather than handing them over to Animal Control or a rescue/shelter. Find out all you can, and then maybe have a conversation with these neighbors about other 'options', like handing them over to you instead, especially if there are any fines involved with what they are doing.

It might not be a bad idea to still put flyers out for the most recent missing cat, if not some of the others as well - maybe some other neighbors might have some helpful information for you that they may not 'volunteer' otherwise.
It is illegal to relocate them, but it is also nearly impossible to prove :/

These are people who cannot be reasoned with. We even offered to buy and instal a cat proof fencing system - they declined, then walked to our colony and destroyed our shelters and damaged our traps right after that conversation. Just to give you an idea of the type of people we’re dealing with.

We’ve posted online and put out a lostmykitty alert on the friendly one.

moxiewild

Super Cat
Purraise
That is sadly true about the places dumpers use. It is almost certain that three of my intentional adoptees started out as a dump job. They were found in September 2012 on a highway about 30 miles from any house. It took quite a bit of time and persistence, but the three that had been originally spotted were eventually trapped and brought into the shelter that I ultimately adopted them from. (These are my Autumn, who was probably mother of the other two, Domino and TV--when they were caught, Domino and TV were transitioning baby/adult teeth and guessed around 4 mo. Autumn had all of her adult teeth at that time, but was probably less than a year old, so likely her first heat produced those two). Of course, whoever was responsible for dumping them was never caught.
Yes, all of our cats who didn’t start off feral were dumped, including declawed cats 🤬

Also, we have a a Domino in another colony, and I love the name TV! Our weirdest name is probably Sunscreen lol

moxiewild

Super Cat
Purraise
I literally just got a message on Nextdoor from someone who loves cats and frequently walks her block and knows the cats there.

This past week, she saw an unfamiliar cat who matches the description of our friendly one, who was the last to disappear. We’re going to head over there right now. We’ve trained them to respond to a dog whistle, so hoping that comes in handy 🤞🏻

This is our boy -

8273ECF2-077E-418A-B1DB-7E1F706C76DE.jpeg

B31B3305-C64C-4F79-9C05-F643180F84B7.jpeg

4B1EB744-7398-4092-B2AE-7A0D1EA41DA6.jpeg

AA90E0D1-0E1B-4159-8197-6FB104B8C197.jpeg

moxiewild

Super Cat
Purraise
We also just had someone suggest getting a super soaker to covertly spray the trap with skunk oil. Since it’s made of plywood, the smell should soak in and ward off ALL animals from that death trap.

Seems like a good idea?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It is illegal to relocate them, but it is also nearly impossible to prove :/...
We also just had someone suggest getting a super soaker to covertly spray the trap with skunk oil. Since it’s made of plywood, the smell should soak in and ward off ALL animals from that death trap. Seems like a good idea?
Can you install some cameras where they might not be easily seen. That might record them trapping and removing the cat at least from their yard? It would be a start to give that to Animal Control/police. I know that is tricky, and possibly dangerous, but maybe ask Animal Control for help in doing something like that.

If you can covertly get away with the skunk soaker, I guess it can't hurt to try. I am guessing they would build another trap.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it is legal for them to trap the cats on their property, but illegal to dump them. However, it’s virtually impossible to prove they’re dumping them :( we can’t even put cameras out because the trap is in their front yard, which is surrounded by open, busy sidewalks.
Are there any trees or anything where you could put a camera in? Trail cam or security motion activated cam? Have you seen them use the trap yet? If you can catch them in the act try to record it.. also with animal control tell them to ask where they are taking the cats if they say a shelter ask for proof because you have been calling. I want to see them have to dismantle that death trap.. I want it to be that they are not allowed to continue.

I don't get what the problem is.. and them destroying the colony shelters and stuff... I would have gotten pictures and called the cops so I'd have an official police report. If it happens again keep that in mind. I feel so bad for the kitties there.. it's not right what they are doing. I pray that they are made to stop, that the kitties that disappeared are safe, and I really am hoping the kitty someone found is Marshmallow.
Please give us an update when you can. Try to stay positive even though this situation would make it extremely difficult. I can't stand most people.. this is why I stay to myself most of the time.. the people nowadays are ignorant and care about nothing but themselves. It is sad..

I'm ao sorry you're going through this hopefully animal control will help you get it resolved asap

Last edited:

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We also just had someone suggest getting a super soaker to covertly spray the trap with skunk oil. Since it’s made of plywood, the smell should soak in and ward off ALL animals from that death trap.

Seems like a good idea?
Amazon.com

Amazon.com

Amazon.com

Here are a few I found.. if you decide to go this route I think one of these would really help.

The best part would be if they trapped a skunk!!!!

Please keep us posted. Again I am so sorry you have to deal with this...

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
moxiewild moxiewild hello just wanted to check in... I was wondering if the kitty that the person on next door told you about was one of yours? If so I hope you were able to get him back.