Our Mishmish is Gone

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I can't believe just how hard it was to even type the thread title here.

View media item 149503
I don't often talk about my cats here, so I guess many of you don't really know her. Mishmish was the cat that started TCS. We rescued her and her four brothers and sisters when they were about a month old, from some kids who were trying to drown them in a canal. We found homes for all of the kittens, except one and ended up keeping her because no one would adopt her.

She was never an easy cat, and I suspect she may have been a hybrid really, with some wild cat blood in her. She had a very difficult time interacting with people or other cats. She got me into the field of cat behavior, as I started devouring the literature trying to figure out how to handle her temperament. This was over 15 years ago, and the Internet was in its early days. I couldn't find a lot of information online, so decided to start my own website about cats, sharing everything I was learning. This was how TCS was born. Mishmish really changed my life in more ways than one.

Mishmish stayed with us ever since, despite a lot of protest from my mother and mother-in-law when my kids were born. I always said she was the best educator they had, as she taught them very early to keep their distance View media item 149502
She would purr away for hours like this, but I still had to be careful. Too much petting or even staring her directly in the eye and she would lash out. She certainly was a fearsome cat.

Mishmish was always remarkably healthy, but half a year ago she had a stroke. It was a fairly dramatic event, but she pulled through, and the vet said there wasn't much to be done. A few days ago, she disappeared. We looked everywhere, inside and out, and she was nowhere to be found. Yesterday, my DH finally crawled under our house and discovered her body there. We don't know what happened, other that she didn't look injured in any way. I hope she just felt tired, and crawled in there and died in her sleep. She rarely went outside and when she did it would only be for a sniff of air in the patio. I don't know why she chose to leave when she felt her time was coming. It hurts that I didn't get to be with her during her last moments. Then again, this was very much in character.

Rest in peace, my sweet baby. Thank you for allowing me to get close to you and share your special magic all those years. It's really hard not having you around anymore. I miss you very very much.

I'll never forget you.

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, Anne. I'm so very sorry to hear about your loss of MishMish. What a gorgeous kitty she was!

I sometimes think that our cats' wilder instincts lead them to go to that hiding place when they're on the verge of leaving us, when they're not feeling well.

You gave her so many years of love and care, and I'm sure that showed in the trust she had in you.

May she RIP, and may your heart heal. :rbheart:

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so very sorry, Anne. Mishmish was such a beautiful girl.  She changed your life in so many ways, and we owe it to her that we have this great site now.

Mishmish

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I'm very, very sorry for your loss, Anne. What a special girl Mishmish was. TCS is her legacy, and through it she's touched the lives of thousands and thousands of cats and the people who love them. RIP, Mishmish, that's quite a bequest from a little cat.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As someone else posted already, in the picture she had the look of love in her eyes. What a spectacular cat she was, beautiful...I am truly sorry for your loss and for the tears our members have cried this week.
It is a wonderful, precious thing to have such a bond with our pets. Nothing will ever take her place in your heart. Rest in peace Mishmish. Your life was not in vain. Because of you, endless numbers of people and cats have been helped. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts.,

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Anne - I did know of your MIshmish :rbheart: but did not know that she was the founding cat that started TCS. What a very, very special and distinctive kitty she was and oh so beautiful. I am so very sorry of your loss. My sister's cat did the same thing - disappeared only for the purpose to go to the bridge. I think your Mishmish will forever be "whispering to your heart" too. She will never leave you, Anne, physically yes, but spiritually, no. It is so easy to say but to be going through the loss and pain it is never, ever easy. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. :hugs: :vibes::vibes:

RIP dear sweet and special girl :rbheart: Mishmish :rbheart: Who left behind a beautiful legacy. :angel: :angel3: :rbheart:

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I can only reiterate what everyone else has already said.  She was a very special and quite beautiful girl, your Mishmish
, and I am so sorry she is now gone

Rest in peace, little one

keycube

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow. 

I don't check in to this part of the site much, and I was just reminded why; I hate to cry at work.

There's a bittersweet part of having a pet that always leaves a human heart longing, no matter how happy and healthy all of the furry ones are; there's always that tiny emotional gap than can never be bridged, manifesting itself in things like a beloved pet seeking out their final resting place away from those who love them.  The "not knowing" always seems the hardest, especially when we humans fancy ourselves as having to know everything.

So what do you know...you know that Mishmish was a moody girl that loved you enough to let you - only you - handle her.  Such trust!

I'm sure she understood that you were literally her reason for being; and I have a feeling that maybe she was trying to spare you a moment of grief that may have been harder than what you've actually had to endure.  Kitty knows best. They let us know that every day, eh.

This site is an enduring legacy to Mishmish, and as such, she lives on.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know exactly what you mean by a 'moody' cat. I was the only one that my Chrissy 'allowed' to pet her. She always lashed out if anyone stroked her more then once. She was tiny but ruled the other two cats in the house. Don't ever tell my two boys, but she was my favorite, my baby girl. My baby has been gone 3 months now, and I still cry when I find one of her hairs, or like yesterday when I put her carrier into storage. Be gentle on yourself, allow yourself to grieve. Time is the only thing that helps to lessen the pain. Mishmish was loved very much and gave much in return. RIP beautiful Mishmish, thank you for starting this wonderful site! You will live on in your mommy's heart. The Rainbow Bridge has gained another beautiful angel! 

stealthkitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The others here have said it all so well...

I'm sorry that your Mishmish is gone and that you weren't able to be with her when the time came. Maybe she had a premonition and felt it would be easier on you that way? At the very least, it sounds like she went peacefully, which is what all of us would choose for our loved ones of any species.

Please take comfort in knowing that her legacy has improved the lives of hundreds, if not thousands, of cats all around the world; and this legacy will continue. I think I speak for all of us when I say that TCS has made me a better cat-keeper. Thank you Mishmash, and thank you Anne.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Anne,

I remember her early stories you shared with me and I know how much she meant to you. I am so sorry she is gone, she was such a character and yes, a bit of a wild child. When they know the end is near, the go to ground. That is what I call it anyway. They get away from everything they know and love, find a dark spot lie down. close their eyes and find their peace. She met life on her terms always- guess the same could be said as how she met death. I am so sorry for your loss my friend-

bentliy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm very sorry, Anne. Even the flightiest cats who don't let us coddle them like we want to can leave such an impact on our hearts. Maybe it was her instinct, or maybe she didn't want you to be there and hurting when it was her time to go. Everyone can tell by the pictures that she did love you very much, especially since you were the only one who could handle her. You will definitely see her again someday, where she can resume being her feisty, pet-me-when-I-say-so self with you. 
 Until then, she'll continue to help cats around the country/world with the site that she inspired. Thank you, Mishmish!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Thank you so much for your kind and wise words, my friends. I have dreaded the day of her departure, and when it finally came it hit me harder than I had expected. The grief is emotional and also physical, like someone placed a heavy weight on my chest. I am thankful for the support I have in this wonderful community, where grieving for your lost pet is the norm and not the exception. It means so much to me. I too usually avoid the bridge, because it's just too difficult for me to deal with all of the pain and grief, but I see now just how important it is to have this support.

She will always live in my heart and her spirit will live on in TCS, celebrating what we stand for - unconditional commitment and care for our cats.

Thank you.