Our Longhaired Kitten Went Crewcut! Can You Pls Explain?

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The furminator cuts at least a little, the comb is actually a blade so there’s no way it doesn't. I also have a female short hair. Whom I rarely have to brush. When I do I usually use a slicker brush and it only takes about one go around and she has no more hair for me to brush out. But with the furminator it never ended and just made a huge mountain of fur. Which I was suspicious of as she was my first cat and never was a bad shedder. It was definelty cutting some of her fur.

They could be. I’m not 100% even on mine I just figured because he ended up weighing 13-14 lbs and had the stacked body like a coon. Whatever they are they really are cute. I have such a soft spot for long haired orange anything lol.
The furminator is a #10 or #30 clipper blade (used on dogs for very closely trimmed areas or a full shave down, or used on ears of show horses for a smooth look,etc.) attached to a handle. I HATE it. I think it gets undercoat but it also cuts the top coat, leaving a patchy, freakish looking job. If the undercoat is VERY thick, it pulls the hair.
I tried it once on Siberian (Husky, not cat) and was not impressed.

ydniC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats coat went from long hair to short very quickly...so quickly that I wonder if someone shaved him. He is over 5. It has been months now, close to a year, and it is showing no signs of getting longer. I actually like it better this way as he loves playing in the rain and then coming in and using the dog to dry off against and digging through the snow to find burr bushes and those things are extremely hard to remove from long hair. He leaves the burrs alone the rest of the year. He has a(what we call his murder buttons) couple of spots that activate his mean mode if you try to touch them, which makes it even more difficult to groom him. He is healthy and happy otherwise.