Our ginger is losing weight rapidly :(

Z00zikon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys,
Our beloved 9-year-old ginger cat is having some gastro issues. He's vomitting frequently - a large amount of yellowish liquid.
He's lost around 4 kg in the past 6 months or so. And very recently became very particular with food.
Now - our vet did some tests, including blood test (with thyroid functions) and Xray, and they were all normal.
Right now, he doesn't eat much :( Other then that - he is totally normal and displays no changes or distress.
Our vet suggested an endoscopic test. He also says that some of his teeth have to be removed.
We were wondering if there is any treatment that we can try before taking the next step.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!
He also says that some of his teeth have to be removed.
Those teeth are causing pain, which translates into a cat that won't eat. My inlaws had an elderly cat who had one bad tooth and in her situation it wasn't diagnosed immediately (even though she was at the vet regularly). She stopped eating and drinking, she even tried to paw at the water but couldn't make that work either. We finally figured it out, the tooth was extracted and she began putting weight back on.

I personally would take care of the dental issues first and see if that doesn't bring his appetite and ability to eat back. His yellow vomit is bile and although there are a few other possibilities of causes of yellow vomit, the lack of food in his stomach is a definite likelihood.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi guys,
Our beloved 9-year-old ginger cat is having some gastro issues. He's vomitting frequently - a large amount of yellowish liquid.
He's lost around 4 kg in the past 6 months or so. And very recently became very particular with food.
Now - our vet did some tests, including blood test (with thyroid functions) and Xray, and they were all normal.
Right now, he doesn't eat much :( Other then that - he is totally normal and displays no changes or distress.
Our vet suggested an endoscopic test. He also says that some of his teeth have to be removed.
We were wondering if there is any treatment that we can try before taking the next step.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
~ Have a dental cleaning and removal of any decaying teeth. This may solve all kitty's problems . 😺💕
{ Had this experience myself with two cats }

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is kitty eating at all? Wet food? Dry can be difficult for some kitties. If it takes time to schedule the dental or other testing, try something easy to eat like lickable foods to try and keep something in his tummy. There are lickable cat treats , which are not a regular diet but would help if kitty can eat them. Kitty glop might help too. It is very soft and easily made. It is often used for sick kitties and some formulas are used for kittens. Ask your vet if this would be acceptable until you can have the dental issue solved. If the vet feels kitty is in pain, that needs to be addressed too until things are remedied. All meat Gerber baby food might be tempting for kitty too. Slightly warmed it is usually accepted well by my kitties. If you need the kitty glop recipe, let us know. I would leave out the raw egg since kitty may not be able to handle that. Definitely check with your vet about these food suggestions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Z00zikon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks people! Such great tips and important info! appreciate it a lot! So I bought TOMi Liquid Snacks of different flavors, and he is eating them with much appetite! And we scheduled dental procedure for Wednesday, crossing our fingers! Thanks again for your help!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks people! Such great tips and important info! appreciate it a lot! So I bought TOMi Liquid Snacks of different flavors, and he is eating them with much appetite! And we scheduled dental procedure for Wednesday, crossing our fingers! Thanks again for your help!
Good luck! Nobel was a whole new cat when he got home. Very happy. I wish the same for your family.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Z00zikon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dear friends, I wish I had better news…
We finally received the biopsy results… he has intestinal lymphoma :(
So sad, especially since all his other tests are 100% and he could have lived for many more years… :(
Still trying to figure out what’s next.
Thanks for your help!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
There are treatments for this and many cats do well for quite some time. If chlorambucil is recommended, remember that cats tolerate any chemotherapeutic drug much better than humans. Are you inclined to investigate options? Many member of TCS have had cats with intestinal lymphoma who lived good lives under treatment.