Our Gideon - Just what is he?

heartlessangel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello there! About six months ago, my girlfriend and I adopted an adorable little Kitten we named Gideon. Today, Gideon as a huge, crazy troublemaker whom we love to death. He is wild, crazy, and so full of energy. We adopted Gideon from a couple on Kijiji, and were given no information about his past. Honestly, they were a little shady, and we like to think we saved him by giving him a good, loving home. The reason I am posting here today is to find out exactly what species of cat Gideon is. At first, we thought he was simply a Grey Tabby, but as he had gotten older, his markings and his personality are leading us to believe that perhaps he has some Bengal blood in him. We can;t be sure, therefor we are posting here to perhaps find out exactly what our little Gideon is. Thanks in Advance for your help! Below are some photos of Gideon then and now.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
He is a Domestic Shorthair, no specific breed. The color/pattern is brown mackerel tabby. This is the most common tabby pattern found in the random cat population and has been developed in many of the registered breeds. The pattern itself is not indicative of a breed.

I don't see anything in him that says Bengal to me. You can check out the breed standard on the TICA.org website. One of the standards is that the tabby pattern should be spotted or marbled, not mackerel.

As far as personality goes, there are some traits that are associated with certain breeds, but that doesn't mean they occur only in those breeds or even that every cat in the breed has the same traits.

I suspect that a lot of his personality goes along with him being a kitten. Watching them grow and develop is so much fun. :clap: