Our cat keeps biting his back, esp. when touched

mattkat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our cat Dori is 6 years old and male, and for the past couple months he's been kind of sensitive when petted on his lower back. He usually starts licking and biting it, but he seems to have a hard time reaching it. Or he'll just kind of look irritated when petted there. Sometimes even when he's not petted, he'll be licking/biting and has fur in his mouth. At first we weren't too worried about it, but now he seems to have two lines of missing fur on his back. See attached picture.
IMG_9968.JPG

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cat Dori is 6 years old and male, and for the past couple months he's been kind of sensitive when petted on his lower back. He usually starts licking and biting it, but he seems to have a hard time reaching it. Or he'll just kind of look irritated when petted there. Sometimes even when he's not petted, he'll be licking/biting and has fur in his mouth. At first we weren't too worried about it, but now he seems to have two lines of missing fur on his back. See attached picture.
View attachment 466787
Have you been to the Vet?Obviously something is wrong as you have noticed,one might think it's a skin sensitivity,irritation or something with a nerve but there's many possible underlying conditions that can be cause him to stratch and bite this area and draw back from your touch- I suggest you take him to your Vet for an examination and I would not wait

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Check for fleas, as what you describe is close to what Feeby was doing when we realized she had fleas. However, she did not pull out hair, and certainly not enough to cause bare spots. She still does some of this, but she has arthritis in her spine, which Don seems a bit young for.

It could also be allergy related (food or environment). While any allergy can crop up 'out of nowhere' so to speak, often it can be associated to a change in food or litter, or new items in your home, such as cleaning products, fabric treated furniture, carpeting, and so on.

You can at least consider these options to see if any of them, or similar things, have been changed recently. Doing so can give you additional information to share with Don's vet to possibly narrow down the potential causes.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The simplest cause is a flea infestation, and probably the most common, as well. Hek is sensitive to flea bites, and I see this when the little vampires manage to invade...which they can do, regardless of preventatives. I'd start there, and move outward. A vet check is a wonderful idea, as you'll know for sure, and should it be fleas, they can give him something that will kill them within a VERY short time!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The other thing that occurs to me is mild hyperesthesia. That's a heightened sensitivity. Another thing to ask the vet about, if fleas is not an issue.

Emmypeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m sorry you’re having sudden problems with your precious baby. I think going to the vet is your best bet. In my opinion if it’s isolated to his back, it doesn’t seem like fleas — plus his coat is light enough they should be visible. Seems like an allergy but again a vet would be able to assist you best! Good luck ❤

Emmypeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Additionally I have a co-worker whose cat has unknown allergies and when they flare up her cat will have patches of hair missing. Her cat is currently on a steroid every 3 days or so and it’s been manageable.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mattkat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know this is a little late, but I thought I should give an update. Dori seems to be doing better now, not biting his back as much, and I think his fur grew back. We never got to go to the vet because ever since the beginning of January all of us were sick with colds, stomach bug, pneumonia, bronchitis, etc, then other things came up. I did check his fur for fleas a couple weeks ago and he did have some on his back, but we were too sick to take him anywhere, and now I think he's better. Thank you to Kwik Kwik , FeebysOwner FeebysOwner , Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 , and Emmypeps Emmypeps for your comments and suggestions.

mattkat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am glad Don is better. but fleas don't go away on their own - unless you've treated him since this issue started. (And, even then, they can be tricky to get rid of quickly.) If not, that still needs to be pursued. I hope all in your family have recovered!
Yes, I think we might've flea-treated him. His name is D o r i by the way, not Don. We're all better now, thanks.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am sorry about mistyping Dori's name. I am currently having a vision issue and sometimes I don't see the letters/words correctly. Most of the time I catch myself, but not this time apparently. Again, sorry.

mattkat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am sorry about mistyping Dori's name. I am currently having a vision issue and sometimes I don't see the letters/words correctly. Most of the time I catch myself, but not this time apparently. Again, sorry.
It's okay, no problem.