Our 6 Month Old Will Not Let Us Sleep

Desertmouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think I might have missed this, but have you tried keeping her in a room like the bathroom for the night? I agree with everyone that you need to set limits and honestly just putting her in another room isn’t a solution. However it sounds like what you really need is a break for a couple days/week to recharge then go back at teaching her limits (complete with her scratching at the door). If the bathroom isn’t a option, given how tried it sounds like you both are, I would consider putting her in boarding for a few day to a week or finding someone who does cat sitting in their house so you can recharge.

Once you feel back to 100% (or maybe 90% ) I would suggest trying some white noise in your room while you sleep, ideally listening through headphones so you can’t hear her as well.

I hope everything works out, she sounds like a important member of your family and I know it would hurt to see her go

humanracer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No. That is not a solution. Yeah get an older cat next time but rehoming this one because the cat goes through night crazies is ridiculous. There are many things the OP can try that have been listed above aside from ignoring the cat until she learns and stops. Could even block the cat into the bathroom or kitchen. Calming collars. Maybe there is a holistic vet who can suggest something that will calm the cat down at night even.
Yeah that's why I said it was the "worst case". When any pet starts to affect your wellbeing, you need to make difficult decisions.
From what I understand the OP lives in an open apartment so restrictions in terms of rooms might be limited.

encino34

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cats go crazy at night as well. My oldest one used to sleep in the bedroom with us until we got Oreo. She has zero boundaries and will sleep on your face and get in the middle of "exercising". Me and the wife had to lock them out of the bedroom. Bella scratches at the door till we get up and make noise or scare her away but like said earlier, you are paying attention to the bad behavior. So now when we go to bed we lock up Bella (oldest one) in her zip up house. Hopefully in the next month or so we wont have to lock her up and she will have learned (wishful thinking)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Whyismycatlikethis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We figured it out! We have successfully had pretty much a full week of quiet, peaceful rest. What I do every night is tire her out with her laser, reward her with treats. Feed her prior to this as well. Once we get ready for bed, I hide ALL her toys, close the curtains, and hide anything on counters that she can potentially paw of.

Basically anything she can turn into a toy. It has worked! She just realises it is bed time and allows us to rest while she rests herself. I also do not immediately feed her once we get up in mornings, instead I wait 30 - 40 minutes, and I take all her toys out ten minutes prior to feeding. I give her a lot of praise during the day and always make sure she has play. I also speak to her soothingly right before bed.

So if anyone has similar issues, try this out. It works for us and we're so happy! Cheers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Whyismycatlikethis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah that's why I said it was the "worst case". When any pet starts to affect your wellbeing, you need to make difficult decisions.
From what I understand the OP lives in an open apartment so restrictions in terms of rooms might be limited.
Thank you for understanding and not thinking I'm cruel for considering that option prior to me finding a solution.

Monk'sMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This thread made me think of all the know-nothings who say cats are aloof... :lol:
Cats want to be with us. This is what this whole Kit 'n Caboodle is about.
I fully agree that it will settle down when she matures. But she may always be a cat that needs more attention, more play and more closeness than some. I'm so glad you found a way to experience it as a blessing.
Meanwhile, it's tiring and challenging, no doubt. Hooray for what you are doing.