Ouch!!!

kittielover123

R.I.P Moneybags 1992-2017 You will be missed
Kitten
Purraise
So, throughout my cat (oreo)'s life he has been very aggressive. For example, you could be petting him.. and all of a sudden he would break loose and start biting and latching onto your arm. None of my other 2 cats do this... he is fixed... all of his shots are taken care of... is this normal? He is 1 and 1/2 years old.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like he's easily overstimulsted by petting. This is actually pretty common - my girl is the same. Watch his body language when you're petting him - when that tail starts to twitch, stop petting, even if he's still purring. Let him show his affection by being close to you instead. He still loves you, he just finds active physical contact a little overwhelming.
Cat Aggression Toward People

Are there any other circumstances where he's aggressive, either towards you or anyone else (cats included)?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittielover123

R.I.P Moneybags 1992-2017 You will be missed
Kitten
Purraise
It sounds like he's easily overstimulsted by petting. This is actually pretty common - my girl is the same. Watch his body language when you're petting him - when that tail starts to twitch, stop petting, even if he's still purring. Let him show his affection by being close to you instead. He still loves you, he just finds active physical contact a little overwhelming.
Cat Aggression Toward People

Yes.. Well he could find something hanging of an edge (like a string) and attack it... also my other cat he would jump on him and lick him.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My boy is 3 years old and does the exact same thing. In fact he does it so much that I posted the following photo and "guide" on Facebook to stop friends and family from getting attacked.....

--------------------

A handy guide to Link.

Link is strong. Link is big. Link is smart. Link is opinionated. Link is not afraid.

If you are over and Link comes up, rolls cutely or brushes you.... it is a trap. Trying to touch, rub or pet him will result in blood. Don't do it. If you can't resist his cuteness put out a hand an inch from his head. If he head bumps you you may pet his head and only his head. The collar is the barrier of where petting is allowed. Passing the collar will lead to certain doom (say it dramatically in your head with an echo while reading that). Keep petting short and focus on ear scratching for best results. You aren't missing out on much by not petting the body he is boney and has a scratchy coat.

--------------------------------------

While I make light of it in the above the simple fact of the matter is it is NOT aggression towards me or other people. It is that Link just doesn't handle stimulation well and easily gets overstimulated.

As Columbine Columbine said, pay attention to body language and stop before you get him too wound up. Strangers don't usually recognize the warning signs but those who are around Link do. I worked with him as a kitten and he knows he is not allowed to use claws or teeth on us. So we get the tail tapping first, which progresses to tail swishing, which goes to an open mouth lunge towards your hand, which leads to teeth brushing you, and if you ignore all those signs he will wrap his arms around your arm and bunny kick you. Link is strong and it does hurt and cause damage to ignore his warnings. Cats are really good about warning signs so if you pay attention you should be able to avoid the biting or scratching.

The string and attacking other cats seems like typically hyperactive young adult cat behavior. Your cat, and you, would probably benefit greatly from a dedicated play session each day. A minimum of 30 minutes where you just get that energy out and really dedicate yourself to playing with him. End every play session with a treat or food and you will also trigger a natural relaxation which comes from hunting, chasing, catching and killing.... just with a meal or treat substituting the kill. Over time he might even settle down more with routine play time so that he doesn't seem so easily stimulated.

kikilove

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Keika, I am laughing my a** off. Thank you for your hilarious "how to" guide.

Cats are truly insane.

Last edited: