Oscar's at it again

rionkatt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oscar's taken to wetting my bed again. Usually while I'm sleeping in it.

I'm thinking it's inappropriate urination rather than marking since it's a rather sizeable puddle. He always does it near my legs for some reason. I have a litter box in my room for him to use that I ensure is always clean, but he keeps using me and my bed instead.

He keeps doing this when I sleep. Always when I'm asleep. I got a Feliway diffuser for scratching and urination, but clearly it's had no effect. I've gotten him a bigger litter box with better (unscented) litter, but he apparently prefers me when I'm asleep.

I've had all of 2 hours of sleep and I can't go back to sleep because my bed and blanket is soaked with cat urine. Does anyone have any solutions they can offer?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Does he sleep on your bed with you? The first thing that came to mind is that with his other health problems he may have weak bladder control and be peeing in his sleep.

Has he ever peed anywhere else, such as on his own bed or on a chair?

If you think he is deliberately peeing on your bed you should keep him out of the room while you sleep. Either make him up his own little room in a bathroom or keep him crated at night.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rionkatt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He normally sleeps under my desk, so I think he does indeed deliberately pees on my bed. I have seen him hop onto my bed just to pee on it before.

Looks like I don't have much choice than to crate him up, then.

Thank you for your suggestion.

rionkatt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, I have kept him in his crate overnight like you suggested and while it did get me a decent night's sleep, Oscar is soaked in urine.

And as soon as I let him out after a bath? He practically sprints to my bed to mark it.

This does not seem to be a good strategy.

Last edited:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you confine him to a bathroom with his litter box, etc? Maybe your room needs to be off limits until he's forgotten his desire to mark your bed.

rionkatt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have roommates who work odd hours and there is only the one bathroom, so no. Confining him to the bathroom is not a viable option. :(

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Did you get him checked by a vet? Urinating on soft spaces can indicate a bladder problem such as a bladder infection or stones/crystals. 

rionkatt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm calling the vet now.... and she's fully booked. I have an appointment with her tomorrow for the glucose curve, so it looks like we have to wait. :/

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Lying in his own urine is not a good sign. Cat's won't do that unless there is something very wrong. I've just seen your other thread about Oscar, I really hope he is going to be OK.

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I really think it's a medical problem. Let us know how it goes tomorrow at the vet! :)