Orphaned Kitten

Agardner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I was contacted earlier today about a found kitten. It seems to be 3 to 4 weeks old. I have a mama cat and was asked to see if mama would let it nurse. I met the lady to get the kitten. The whole way home it either played or slept. Got her home and my cat heard it cries and got curious. She has 6 2 week old kittens. I let Cali see the baby and she took it right in. The kitten got cozy and things seemed to be going great.
But I noticed she isn't trying to nurse. Actually doesn't seem hungry at all. She very playful. I got a few drops down her with bottle but she fights it. Same thing with a syringe. I gave her a drop of Karo syrup in case blood sugar is down. Im planning on taking her to vet in morning. It just worries me she doesn't seem hungry ive had her for 6 hours now and just a few drops of milk.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you need some Kitten Milk Replacement. (KMR)

You should be able to find KMR at any pet store. You can often find it in the pet section at Walmart and, sometimes, the grocery store, in the pet section.

If you can't find KMR, whole goat's milk will do in a pinch. Avoid cow's milk.

Cow's milk isn't good for cats even though tradition says it is. Cow's milk doesn't contain the right nutrition for cats or kittens. It contains too much of the wrong kinds of fats and it is high in lactose which can cause diarrhea.

If you have a mother cat with her own litter, KMR would be a good thing for her, too. She's lactating for her kittens and she'll need extra nutrition to keep her energy up and to help her produce more milk.

KMR would also be good to supplement the young kittens' diets with, too. Give mom a night off, once in a while. Right?

As for the older kitten nursing from the mother, I think that's okay if mom will accept her. She needs to grow up in a cat family, even if it's an adoptive family. Cats learn how to act like cats by being around others. My only concern is that the older kitten might crowd out the younger ones and, possibly turn into a bully. It's probably not a big deal but I still think it's something to watch out for. You might need to step in and referee.

Your new kitten, being only four weeks old, is still to young to eat regular food but, when the time comes to wean, again, it's KMR to the rescue. Mix some KMR with canned kitten food to make a gruel that she can lick up. As she gradually stops drinking mother's milk and eating regular food, you can thicken her portions until she's eating solid food.

But that time won't come for a few more weeks, yet. Just trying to say some of the many ways that Kitten Milk Replacement comes in handy.

I'm super happy to hear that you took in an orphan kitten to give her a good home. Good move! :)
It's great to know that she's got a new cat family to live with, too.

Give her a little time to get used to her new home and her new cat family. That might be the reason why she doesn't seem to want to eat. Hopefully, she'll settle in and start eating.

In the mean time, go get some KMR. :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If desperate, you CAN try with some mushed fast food, and let her lick it off your fingers. Say, unflavored food for human babies.
Otherwise, kmr or goats milk...

A recent poster kommunity kats kommunity kats tipped about coconut oil - preferably coldpressed / organic. Not only as an emergency measure for some problems, but also as emergency food.... And I tend to agree with these ideas.

Although its a riddle to me too, why the kittens wont even try to nurse, although there is a momma...
Is the kitten alone for nursing, or must it fight with these new foster siblings??

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think you need some Kitten Milk Replacement. (KMR)

You should be able to find KMR at any pet store. You can often find it in the pet section at Walmart and, sometimes, the grocery store, in the pet section.

If you can't find KMR, whole goat's milk will do in a pinch. Avoid cow's milk.

Cow's milk isn't good for cats even though tradition says it is. Cow's milk doesn't contain the right nutrition for cats or kittens. It contains too much of the wrong kinds of fats and it is high in lactose which can cause diarrhea.

If you have a mother cat with her own litter, KMR would be a good thing for her, too. She's lactating for her kittens and she'll need extra nutrition to keep her energy up and to help her produce more milk.

KMR would also be good to supplement the young kittens' diets with, too. Give mom a night off, once in a while. Right?

As for the older kitten nursing from the mother, I think that's okay if mom will accept her. She needs to grow up in a cat family, even if it's an adoptive family. Cats learn how to act like cats by being around others. My only concern is that the older kitten might crowd out the younger ones and, possibly turn into a bully. It's probably not a big deal but I still think it's something to watch out for. You might need to step in and referee.

Your new kitten, being only four weeks old, is still to young to eat regular food but, when the time comes to wean, again, it's KMR to the rescue. Mix some KMR with canned kitten food to make a gruel that she can lick up. As she gradually stops drinking mother's milk and eating regular food, you can thicken her portions until she's eating solid food.

But that time won't come for a few more weeks, yet. Just trying to say some of the many ways that Kitten Milk Replacement comes in handy.

I'm super happy to hear that you took in an orphan kitten to give her a good home. Good move! :)
It's great to know that she's got a new cat family to live with, too.

Give her a little time to get used to her new home and her new cat family. That might be the reason why she doesn't seem to want to eat. Hopefully, she'll settle in and start eating.

In the mean time, go get some KMR. :)
I agree with your ideas. Although re cow milk, it seems RAW cow milk is much safer than the usual processed and pasteurized cow milk.
And its surely so the myth started. Cats lowing cow milk comes often from rural areal, where cats got milk directly from the cow.

Thus, I have heard several neighbours mention about rescued cats, whom were raised on cow milk without big problems. Now, Im in rural area, and as I understand it, all these kittens were on raw milk, as we have many cow farmers here....

It MAY be so small kittens are less sensitive than adult cats, but as said, Im pretty sure it was raw cow milk they talked about.

Not that I will be ever recommending even raw cow milk. But emergency has no law, and if raw cow milk is what you have; better take the chance with raw cow milk than processed and pasteurized cow milk.

But goats milk is a better bet. :)

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with coconut oil if used for emergencies.

I think Karo syrup is something to be used for emergencies only. It's ALL sugar and zero nutrition. It might be good for a quick energy boost but it won't last long. Furthermore, cats don't have a strong sense of taste for sweet things. They probably won't take to it as readily as coconut oil.

But emergency has no law, and if raw cow milk is what you have; better take the chance with raw cow milk than processed and pasteurized cow milk.
Yes, I think you're right. Raw cow's milk ought to work if you don't have KMR or goat's milk.
When it's an emergency, you gotta' do what you gotta' do.

Oh! Hey! What about pictures? Got any you care to share?
Everybody loves to see pictures of kittens! :D