orphaned kitten not pooping

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tiffr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You're right!

Fantastic that you are seeing the vet tomorrow. Are they all eating well?
They all seem to be eating okay. it doesn't seem like the runt likes his hourly feedings. When it was every two hours he ate pretty well but now I have to like force feed him half of his food. He has gained weight he is now 3.40oz. That is really good especially for one day.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, you can give Winnie oil.

Are the 3 eating well?

Have there been more green poops?

tiffr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, you can give Winnie oil.

Are the 3 eating well?

Have there been more green poops?

They all seem to be eating okay. it doesn't seem like the runt likes his hourly feedings. When it was every two hours he ate pretty well but now I have to like force feed him half of his food. He has gained weight he is now 3.40oz. That is really good especially for one day.
yes but the runt doesn't like to eat every hour I don't think and just now when I fed the runt there wasn't but I am about to feed the others so we'll see.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Okay, then go back to feeding the runt every 2 hours. That way all 3 are on the 2-hour schedule.

We backed him up to hourly because he had lost weight. But he's gaining, and it's better that he eat more willingly every 2 hours.

tiffr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay. I will weigh him often to keep track.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So oil for those who need it, and 2-hour feedings with weight checks every 12 hours until these 3 are good and stable. [emoji]128077[/emoji]

tiffr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So oil for those who need it, and 2-hour feedings with weight checks every 12 hours until these 3 are good and stable. [emoji]128077[/emoji]
okay. the black and white one weighs 4.5oz and the big black one weighs 4.7oz

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The weight gain on all 3 is excellent! You are doing a great job with them! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Last edited:

tiffr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The weight gain on all 3 is excellent! You are doing a great job with them! [emoji]128522[/emoji]
That's great news! Last week when Winnie became constipated, she stopped eating like she usually did and she's doing it again. I am hoping that she will poop soon. Is there any way I can make this work faster? Why do I have so many problems with constipation? Is it because I got them so young? When they're having pooping problems I am 10x more worried.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
With Winnie it was changing foods, but yes, a lot of it is because they are so young. And sometimes, kittens can skip a day without it being a problem.

No way to speed it up, unless you use a glycerin suppository. I like to give them 24 hours though. The oil does work eventually.

And the constipation is not going to kill them like diarrhea can.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes it's caused by the KMR.  It's better than the kitten having diarrhea.  Are you sure you are mixing the formula w/the correct amount of water?

tiffr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 Okay so I'll wait and give her 24 hours on the oil and why do you think it was caused this time? Last time it was the change in formula and this time no changes were made.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
T tiffr

Some kittens just get constipated and need the oil in every bottle. Other kittens poop like a charm. It really depends on each kitten's system. No rhyme or reason.

How often are you feeding Winnie?

Last edited:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not abnormal to poop only once every 24 hours if all is going well.  I would wait and see if Winnie appears to be straining or constipated before you get too concerned.

tiffr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
With Winnie it was changing foods, but yes, a lot of it is because they are so young. And sometimes, kittens can skip a day without it being a problem.

No way to speed it up, unless you use a glycerin suppository. I like to give them 24 hours though. The oil does work eventually.

And the constipation is not going to kill them like diarrhea can.
Last time I had to use that premade formula because just oil didn't work or maybe I wasn't patient enough.