Orphaned kitten eating problems.

mandy4034

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all,

I'm hoping someone here can give me some peace of mind.

I found a kitten at my work two days ago. He was dirty and had a bunch of fleas. I bathed him and picked the fleas off and try to get him to eat some moist kitten chow and when that didn't interest him and tried to give him the kitten formula from a nursing bottle. He didn't go for it at all and just wanted to sleep so I figured he was just worn out from the bath and the day's stress.

I took him to the vet yesterday and they estimated him to be about 4 and a half weeks old. He was very dehydrated and had a low body temperature. They warmed him up and gave him fluids to boost his system and tried to get him to eat. We basically had to pry open his mouth to get food down him.

The vet gave me a special canned food (hills a/d i think) that I'm to give him 3ccs of each day along with a pedialyte-type liquid and then his medicine once a day. He is to have a heating pad placed partially under his carrier and until I see him use the litter box on his own I have to help him by stimulation.

I'm okay with doing all of this but I'm still worried. Every time I try to feed him I first place the food on a plate and show him it and try to get him to eat it but he refuses. So then I do it the way the vet did and pry open his mouth and smear the food on his tongue.

I've just never had a cat that is not interested in food. I'm not sure if he just doesn't know how to eat since he's an orphan or if this type of behavior is common. If I still have to force feed him in the next few days I plan on calling the vet but I wanted to see if you guys had any experience with this or any suggestions on how to get him to eat on his own.

Thanks!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He is more than likely tired and stressed. Needing his mom and littermates for company and stimulation (we try all we can, but we humans make poor substitutes) www.snuggleme.com has a great tool for the orphaned babies and this can help them feel better about their situation.

All you can do is your best. When you said you flea bathed him, could I ask you what you used? Some of the stuff over the counter is pretty bad for kitties with low immune systems. There is some stuff you can buy to bump up his immune system as the fleas hit it pretty hard. Here is the link:
It is made by U.S. Animals it is called Immuno-DMG liquid. He's probably just plumb tuckered up. His gums are most likely white or streaked white. Those fleas can be brutal but flea treatments on him need to be left to a vet and not over the counter shampoos. Warm water baths with a bit of DAWN detergent in it will stun the fleas then you can remove the little buggers with a tweezer and squeeze them to death.

http://www.amazon.com/US-Animal-Nutr.../dp/B0001VUQTI

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mandy4034

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for replying!

I've just bathed him once when I got home and it was with dawn, I read that was the safest thing to use if I didn't have a pet shampoo on hand. I got off as many as I could with the bath and then got a flea comb and sat there for about 2 hours getting the rest of those little buggers...

Thanks for the reference to the snuggleme. I do happen to have a soft stuffed animal with one of those heart things in it already (got it from build-a-bear a while back) I wonder if that would work the same way?

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How is the kitten doing? I hope he is beginning to gain some strength. Do keep watch for those fleas...they really sap the strength from the little kittens.

I know the kitten has to be warm enough to be able to eat, so I'm glad for the heating pad suggestion from the vet. I wonder if a little swipe of Karo syrup on the gums might help if it is a low blood sugar issue? (They can absorb some of the sugar without swallowing.)

Many hopes that this little baby can gain strength and grow up big and strong with your help. I know how close you get when you bottle feed!

Are their other kittens near where you found him? Might be worth taking a look around to see if there are more needing to be saved....

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope the kitty is doing better this morning. We found my cat Hoot at about 5 weeks of age. I won't go into all the details but it was a terrible situation for her. We used the food the vet gave us and she was dehydrated as well. Give her a day or 2 to adjust and hopefully she will come around. I hope your kitty gets well real soon. Fleas are nasty little parasites and can be brutal on kittens. Using the Dawn was a good thing. Best vibes sent your way!