Orphaned 3wk Old Kitten And Fleas

weakoctober

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all! Been lurking a bit and was hoping to get some help with an orphaned 3 week old kitten we recently found wandering a pipe yard.

We have taken her to the vet and overall she is fairly healthy except that she has fleas! I have never dealt with fleas so obviously I'm more than a bit intimidated. The vet said there weren't many, but as she's still too young for any flea medication, we'll have to manage the fleas manually for a few weeks. I don't think she's infested with them but I have seen one scurry along her backside, and when I wipe her down with a light colored washcloth, I see little spots and red dots that I know are indicative of them.

I just have a few questions:

1. How often is it safe for me to bathe the kitten? We have done one bath with dawn soap and it was incredibly difficult, and I didn't see many fleas come off of her. I feel worried this is traumatizing for her, but it seems to be the most effective way of getting off the fleas from what I've seen.

2. Any tips on more effectively using the flea comb? I got maybe three black specks after combing thru her fur for five minutes, and I'm not even sure if those were fleas or just their "dirt."

3. Tips on finding fleas on a dark furred feline?

4. Even if I comb thru her fur every day and maybe give her a bath once a week and clean her bedding in hot water... Am I doomed to have fleas in my home until we can get her on medication? I'm terrified my house will be overrun, or she'll become anemic - the list of things that terrify me with this kitten just go on and on!

All in all, I just feel very in over my head! It was already so incredibly difficult to get her to suckle on the bottle, that I just feel very overwhelmed with the flea situation. Mostly, I'd love to have more experienced individuals to talk to about the intricacies of the situation.Thanks in advance!

loveskitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
bomb the house while everyone Is out and get her groomed professionally with a flea dip. look for where the fleas are coming from. other animals... beach areas. neighbor dogs...

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First - thanks for saving this little sweetie! Bottle feeding can be tough and sometimes overwhelming, but you're a wonderful person for taking it on!!! And - - soon you'll be past that stage if she's 4 weeks old. :cheerleader: I'm a flea panicked too - - - years ago I had such a nasty infestation that when my husband (ex now) walked into the house, you could see them jump right onto his very hairy legs (he was greek to the core! :) )

You do have to be VERY careful with flea treatments at that age (both on the kitten and in the house) - - they're still so fragile (the kitten - not the fleas sadly :(). Since you have already taken her to the vet -- what did the vet recommend? (surely they noticed them!) Some treatments can be started at about 4-5 weeks, but the kitten needs to be a minimum weight, and I usually like it to be a little above what the manufacturers recommend - just to be safe. Other products say 8 weeks. Please be VERY careful with over-the-counter flea treatments - - -I personally - and friends - - have had kittens have very severe reactions to them (a friend actually lost an older kitten to a reaction to Hartz flea shampoo). I now only use treatments supplied by my vet, or by the shelter vet when I'm fostering.

Dawn dish soap is a good gentle way to go. I also flea comb religiously, multiple times a day (drop the fleas into a cup filled with water and Dawn). I also set up little "flea traps" (but not where the kitten can get into them).....place a few nightlights in plugs close to the floor, and under the nightlight place a shallow dish of water with several drops of Dawn in it. The fleas will be attracted to the light, jump over to it, and drown in the "dawn water."

When I have older cats with this issue, I do usually remove all the animals for several hours and bomb AND treat the carpet, plus wash the bedding in super hot water. But again - yours is so little, I'd want to double check everything with the vet she's seen.

Keep us posted!!!!! And post pics of the little one!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weakoctober

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First - thanks for saving this little sweetie! Bottle feeding can be tough and sometimes overwhelming, but you're a wonderful person for taking it on!!! And - - soon you'll be past that stage if she's 4 weeks old. :cheerleader: I'm a flea panicked too - - - years ago I had such a nasty infestation that when my husband (ex now) walked into the house, you could see them jump right onto his very hairy legs (he was greek to the core! :) )

You do have to be VERY careful with flea treatments at that age (both on the kitten and in the house) - - they're still so fragile (the kitten - not the fleas sadly :(). Since you have already taken her to the vet -- what did the vet recommend? (surely they noticed them!) Some treatments can be started at about 4-5 weeks, but the kitten needs to be a minimum weight, and I usually like it to be a little above what the manufacturers recommend - just to be safe. Other products say 8 weeks. Please be VERY careful with over-the-counter flea treatments - - -I personally - and friends - - have had kittens have very severe reactions to them (a friend actually lost an older kitten to a reaction to Hartz flea shampoo). I now only use treatments supplied by my vet, or by the shelter vet when I'm fostering.

Dawn dish soap is a good gentle way to go. I also flea comb religiously, multiple times a day (drop the fleas into a cup filled with water and Dawn). I also set up little "flea traps" (but not where the kitten can get into them).....place a few nightlights in plugs close to the floor, and under the nightlight place a shallow dish of water with several drops of Dawn in it. The fleas will be attracted to the light, jump over to it, and drown in the "dawn water."

When I have older cats with this issue, I do usually remove all the animals for several hours and bomb AND treat the carpet, plus wash the bedding in super hot water. But again - yours is so little, I'd want to double check everything with the vet she's seen.

Keep us posted!!!!! And post pics of the little one!!
Thanks so much for the quick reply! The vet saw 1 flea, and suggested the Dawn dish soap bath and a flea comb. I am also fervently vacuuming the areas she has been in (we're trying to keep her confined to one room) and washing and replacing her bedding every day (in super hot water of course!) The vet said they wanted to wait til she was closer to 8 weeks to begin flea treatment. She is quite small for her age I think.

I LOVE the flea trap idea! I do not have any other pets that can get fleas (I only have a bird and a lizard), and because I have a bird, I'd like to stay away from things like bombing the whole house. The chemicals left make me very anxious for my bird who's 75% lungs lolol.

We haven't had much success with the comb - I even tried rubbing a small amount of butter on the bristles to get them to stick but only came away with 3 specks (that I don't even think were actual fleas) after five minutes of grooming.

I've only actually SEEN one flea on her, even when inspecting closely, but I know how quickly these things can get out of hand (had lice THREE TIMES when I was a child :'( ) so I'd like to keep it under control. If bug bombing is really the way to go I'll do it but would like to avoid it.

Also, here's a pic! She's amazing.

weakoctober

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ugh - saw another one when taking her out for a feeding but it slipped away before I could grab it. Where do these buggers hide when my comb is out!!!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
bomb the house while everyone Is out and get her groomed professionally with a flea dip. look for where the fleas are coming from. other animals... beach areas. neighbor dogs...
Flea dips might do more harm than good on a 3 week old kitten, but bombing the house while everyone is out is a very good idea!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for the quick reply! The vet saw 1 flea, and suggested the Dawn dish soap bath and a flea comb. I am also fervently vacuuming the areas she has been in (we're trying to keep her confined to one room) and washing and replacing her bedding every day (in super hot water of course!) The vet said they wanted to wait til she was closer to 8 weeks to begin flea treatment. She is quite small for her age I think.

I LOVE the flea trap idea! I do not have any other pets that can get fleas (I only have a bird and a lizard), and because I have a bird, I'd like to stay away from things like bombing the whole house. The chemicals left make me very anxious for my bird who's 75% lungs lolol.

We haven't had much success with the comb - I even tried rubbing a small amount of butter on the bristles to get them to stick but only came away with 3 specks (that I don't even think were actual fleas) after five minutes of grooming.

I've only actually SEEN one flea on her, even when inspecting closely, but I know how quickly these things can get out of hand (had lice THREE TIMES when I was a child :'( ) so I'd like to keep it under control. If bug bombing is really the way to go I'll do it but would like to avoid it.

Also, here's a pic! She's amazing.
I actually found myself making shrieking noises like a 6 year old girl. This picture is ADORABLE!!!!!!
If the vet isn't overly concerned about anemia, I wouldn't be either. The kittens that were at risk for anemia that we've found have been so infested that you see hundreds (or thousands) and their bath water is literally blood from the flea dirt, and they're weak. Are her gums nice and pink?
I'd keep on with the baths (in bad cases, we've done daily or 3-4 times weekly baths). Just make sure you keep her in her purrito sack (:redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump:SO CUTE) so she doesn't get chilled/too cold.
You really can't flea comb enough, and if you find a few don't panic, just keep at it and eventually you'll get the little jerks.
It might be good to keep her confined to a smaller section of the house if you can to keep them from spreading so far and wide quickly, and concentrate on really keeping that area clean/vacuumed/mopped/etc.
Over all how does she act? Good appetite, playful (as she can be at this age), purring, etc?
She's so cute. I'm only a little jealous. :clap:
I used to wrap Baby Girl up like this when she was a tiny thing and just cradle her in my arms and read while she snuggled against me and purred her little heart out. I think a lot of that time spent together is why she's a lap crazed lady as an adult (she's trying to crawl into my lap as I type this) and why she's one of those cats who sees her person as "parent". She will purr, knead, and give me this "love gaze" thing that my other cats don't do to this level.
Enjoy that incredible bond. :rock:

weakoctober

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I actually found myself making shrieking noises like a 6 year old girl. This picture is ADORABLE!!!!!!
If the vet isn't overly concerned about anemia, I wouldn't be either. The kittens that were at risk for anemia that we've found have been so infested that you see hundreds (or thousands) and their bath water is literally blood from the flea dirt, and they're weak. Are her gums nice and pink?
I'd keep on with the baths (in bad cases, we've done daily or 3-4 times weekly baths). Just make sure you keep her in her purrito sack (:redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump:SO CUTE) so she doesn't get chilled/too cold.
You really can't flea comb enough, and if you find a few don't panic, just keep at it and eventually you'll get the little jerks.
It might be good to keep her confined to a smaller section of the house if you can to keep them from spreading so far and wide quickly, and concentrate on really keeping that area clean/vacuumed/mopped/etc.
Over all how does she act? Good appetite, playful (as she can be at this age), purring, etc?
She's so cute. I'm only a little jealous. :clap:
I used to wrap Baby Girl up like this when she was a tiny thing and just cradle her in my arms and read while she snuggled against me and purred her little heart out. I think a lot of that time spent together is why she's a lap crazed lady as an adult (she's trying to crawl into my lap as I type this) and why she's one of those cats who sees her person as "parent". She will purr, knead, and give me this "love gaze" thing that my other cats don't do to this level.
Enjoy that incredible bond. :rock:
Yes, it seems to be just a few - they didn't even mention anemia to me, I've only read about it. Her gums are pink and healthy. She is active, noisy and very hungry!!!

I keep flea combing her when I can, but cant seem to catch any. I have seen one or two hanging around her butt area, but then they hide before I can get my tweezers on them! Good to know where they like to be though.

I'm keeping her confined to one room and trying to keep everything very clean. Hopefully that will help. I may try another bath today but am terrified of stressing her out too much.

Thank you for the reply!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it seems to be just a few - they didn't even mention anemia to me, I've only read about it. Her gums are pink and healthy. She is active, noisy and very hungry!!!

I keep flea combing her when I can, but cant seem to catch any. I have seen one or two hanging around her butt area, but then they hide before I can get my tweezers on them! Good to know where they like to be though.

I'm keeping her confined to one room and trying to keep everything very clean. Hopefully that will help. I may try another bath today but am terrified of stressing her out too much.

Thank you for the reply!
She sounds like she's well on her way to health!!
When they have 20 or 30, it feels "Easy" because it's nothing to catch 3-4 fleas per comb out, but when they're down to that annoying handful they're crafty little things.
If her gums are pink, and she's active noisy and hungry, I think it's safe to say she's not experiencing anything life threatening in the anemia department.
Are you keeping her, or are you going to find her a home? Either way, she'll be a cat that's very easy to groom and handle because these early exposures to baths and comb outs and human hands in general really create an easy to handle cat.

weakoctober

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She sounds like she's well on her way to health!!
When they have 20 or 30, it feels "Easy" because it's nothing to catch 3-4 fleas per comb out, but when they're down to that annoying handful they're crafty little things.
If her gums are pink, and she's active noisy and hungry, I think it's safe to say she's not experiencing anything life threatening in the anemia department.
Are you keeping her, or are you going to find her a home? Either way, she'll be a cat that's very easy to groom and handle because these early exposures to baths and comb outs and human hands in general really create an easy to handle cat.
If all goes well (which it is so far!) I'd love to keep her. Now that I've gotten her to eat successfully - it was a battle at first - I feel a lot more confident. We haven't gotten a poop yet, but it's only been less than 36 hours about, so I'm going to give it a bit longer (the vet couldn't get a poop either.) Plus every day I get more and more attached to her!!!

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OK - --I should be getting in the car bc hubby's yelling "we're late for our movie!" but I had to say HOW STINKING CUTE!!!!! She's adorable!!! (It's SO hard to give up bottle babies after all that bonding!). I have a chart I keep when I bottle feed with weight/feeding/"eliminations" etc. - - - I'll find it and upload it (or send it to you) if you'd like!!!!

weakoctober

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OK - --I should be getting in the car bc hubby's yelling "we're late for our movie!" but I had to say HOW STINKING CUTE!!!!! She's adorable!!! (It's SO hard to give up bottle babies after all that bonding!). I have a chart I keep when I bottle feed with weight/feeding/"eliminations" etc. - - - I'll find it and upload it (or send it to you) if you'd like!!!!
That'd be so great!!! Y'all are so amazing I can't even thank you enough for the help today!!!

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't forgotten you - - - I forgot we're leaving town for the day - - but I'll get it to you tonight or tomorrow at the latest!

weakoctober

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I haven't forgotten you - - - I forgot we're leaving town for the day - - but I'll get it to you tonight or tomorrow at the latest!
No worries at all! Quick update as today's been eventful with the kitten: we got a poop (multiple, actually - how can one kitten have so much poop!!!) and we caught a flea!

I'm feeling much better about my little bottle baby. Was wondering if anyone had any tips for getting her onto solid food. I imagine it's mostly a matter of time, but she seems completely disinterested in trying out her formula on anything but a bottle!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Mix up kitten wet food with kitten milk until it is pretty soft, put it on your finger and hold it to her mouth. Hopefully she will get a lick or two in and realize it is wonderful. If you doesn’t, try mixing some plain chicken baby food (not a meal, you want a jar of pure meat) with a little kitten wet food and a kitten milk and try again. You may need to do these many days in a row before kitten catches on. Even if the kitten starts eating food, they still need to bottle for a while to make sure they are getting enough - weighing them daily helps you figure this out.