Orphan Kitten behavior issue

momto2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not sure if this is the right place or not - I'm new here. I have been bottle feeding 3 orphan kitten since they were turned into AC at 10 days old. They will be 5 weeks old on Monday. Two of the kittens (one male, one female) seem fine. They all obviously crave attention, snuggling, etc. which I attempt to supply. The third kitten - a little female - is very needy, demanding, and almost uncontrollable. She acts frantic whenever we are feeding and even after. The other 2 act a little frantic when they are hungry but once they are full - they seem calm, they purr, they want to be held, etc. She continues to act like she is not satisfied. She claws, bites, tries to climb into my hair, etc. They all occasionally try to "nurse" on my clothing, hands, etc.  I understand that need, but this little girl is different.

I have tried just sitting her back down when she does this but she cries and attempts to crawl up my leg. I just don't know how I am going to find her a proper home if I cannot get her through this. Any ideas what I might do? She does not seem sick - she eats well, she plays (sometimes roughly) with siblings. I know she wants her mom but unfortunately that is not possible.  Thanks for any insight/tips you may have. 

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are they eating solids yet? Milk might not be enough for her anymore---females tend to be the hunters and start solids earlier naturally, and this is the age their mother would be teaching them to hunt. You can give them canned food mushed with their formula, but for her you might also try a chunk of meat so she can "kill" it and feel the conquest! :D A feather-on-a-stick toy might be a good thing to introduce, too.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would be offering canned pate style food.  I started offering it to my bottle babies quite early and let them set the pace.  At their age the Mom would be bringing them food she caught or showing them the food dish.  Could be her personality and also could be she is hungry/wanting more filling meal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momto2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you both for the replies...so you both feel it is a food related behavior?  I tried food last week and they just played in it - got all dirty - the little boy ate a little but not enough.  So today I soaked the high quality dry food in their formula and they ate it.  I will add the pate canned and see if that will help her.  What kind of meat should I try?  Do you mean like a piece of beef or chicken?  They are so tiny!  Thank you for trying to help me.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I intro a kitten to food I do it one at a time with the TINIEST bit as yup it is MESSY!:)  I read something years ago that was interesting-they were saying how bottle babies get a bit bratty at times due to a Mom cat never saying no.  Makes you wonder.  I know I could see that link to the litter I had.  Of the 3 who made it the female was outright demanding for months.  The 2 boys were way more relaxed.  From the start she would SCREAM and fuss and carry on.  Make sure to use a basic NON CLUMPING litter.  They will use that as the go to play spot for a bit but will settle down and get it soon enough.

momto2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you Catsallaround!  They are already using the litter pan and I knew to use the non-clumping litter.  They did make a mess with their meal today.  I cleaned up I thought but returned in a couple of hours to find ants all over the bathroom!  So everyone out - all blankets, towels, etc. in washer, floor cleaned.  BOY - I thought it would get easier as they got older.... at least I can sleep a little more now.    My area is over-run with kittens this season and I know finding 2 perfect homes won't be easy.  I just want to do my part so she will be a welcomed addition and not a terror :)   

I did think she seemed a little more calm after she had both her kitten food and a Tablespoon of formula from the bottle.  I hope things are turning around....

momto2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I saw my post from 2 years ago and wanted to share an update.  It's so funny to look back at the time I had the 3 orphans.  I kept 2 of them and the little boy was adopted by a family in Florida.  The girl who was *so* demanding became my "velcro kitty".  She is the most loving and sweet cat now.  She does like to occasionally suck on my fluffy blanket or even my clothes but not enough to be a problem.  She is calm and sweet and one of the best kitties I've ever had.  I guess the moral of the story is that you can't always judge a kitten or assume he/she will be a handful as an adult.  Her name is Tabitha!  

momto2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Last edited by a moderator:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How sweet! [emoji]128149[/emoji]

Thanks for the update! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

momto2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Feeling guilty to leave out her sister.  She is a beautiful girl and very sweet, too. Not quite as much of a velcro but here she is helping me grade papers!  Her name is 

Darlene <3

Isn't it funny how things work out?  We had ZERO intention of keeping any of these kittens.  We were just helping out a rescue because they were going to be put down :(   -  it was the 4th of July weekend when someone brought them into the animal shelter.  We figured we could bottle feed them and then they would be adopted.  Ha ha! We barely let go of the little brother but kept both sisters.    Then we found another baby in the street the following summer and that - my friends - is how you quickly go from a "normal" household with 2 cats - to my lovable little "zoo" with 5 cats, 2 dogs, plus occasional fosters!!!  :)  

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She is beautiful! [emoji]128149[/emoji]

Last edited: