Orijen dryfood giving diarrhea?

AshwinR

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

I have a Russian Blue since 3,5 weeks, and I transitioned him (in 1 week) from Royal Canin Kitten to Orijen Kitten & Cat (from the Canadian factory) as I believe this is a more quality food, however after a few days his poop started to change form turds to a clay like consistency. It's not super runny, but between diarrhea and nicely formed poops.

The color is normal brown and no worms are in his stools. Also today I gave him a deworming as he's approaching his 1 month since the last de worming with the breeder.

I might think the Orijen is too rich for his tummy. I might try Orijen Adult food, as the kitten food has more protein for a kitten.

I will keep an eye on this the coming days. He doesn't seem to be in any discomfort.

Any tips?

Last edited:

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is he? If he is a kitten he needs to be on kitten or all life stages. Orijen can be too rich for some kitties. Make sure to be feeding one wet food meal a day, its important for hydration. Try Instinct that one tends to be easy on the tummies and better quality then Royal canin. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AshwinR

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How old is he? If he is a kitten he needs to be on kitten or all life stages. Orijen can be too rich for some kitties. Make sure to be feeding one wet food meal a day, its important for hydration. Try Instinct that one tends to be easy on the tummies and better quality then Royal canin. :)
He's almost 16 weeks. He was on a only dryfood diet at the breeder wiht only wetfood once a week as a treat.When he came to mee the first few days his poops looked good, so I think the rich Orijen food may be a shock to his system as I read Royal Canin isn't that a good food. I will switch to Orijen adult whic his less in protein or go with Acana. I live in The Netherlands, so hoping they sell it here. Is this it:
True Instinct kattenvoer | Hoogwaardig droogvoer | zooplus

Does the packaging look familliar?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You don't want to switch to Adult unless it says it is good for all stages. Kittens do need more protein then adults to grow properly.

The food you linked is one I feed and my cats do well on it.