Orijen And Food Allergies

adrianne259

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello again to everyone :) I'm posting another question about cat food and allergies, hoping someone had a similar experience (I read the post about Orijen in detail, so I gather that it is a good quality food). I have a very allergic cat - chicken, grain, potatoes... - and a very limited number of food options. She is currently eating Hill's d/d, as this is the only food that didn't bother her in any way. Recently, Orijen also became available to me, and I was wondering if there is anyone who has experience with feeding it to a sensitive cat :) I'd be extremely happy if I could stop feeding her Hill's - also hoping she would loose some weight -, and the ingredients in Orijen seem to be good (at least those with no chicken in them).
So, any experiences with Orijen and food allergies?

Sallysoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
And also u can consider Nature Variety (NV) Instinct LID too. U can get turkey, beef or lamb. Available both in dry and wet. My kitty is sensitive to food too, he is on this NV Instinct lid too. Prevly vet wans him to be on hills i/d perscriptn for his lifetime. I think better not thus read up and get the NV instead. I supplement him w lintbella yudigest probiotics too. He poo is getting well formed instead of mash pototaes formed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

adrianne259

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much! Unfortunately, I don't have access to Nature Variety, they don't import it to Serbia and online stores don't deliver, which is why I'm kinda going crazy... I started her on Orijen and I'm waiting to see what happens :) Mine was eating Hill's d/d, but something happened with the import process, so I'm forced to make a change. Reading up on Hill's, I'm also less and less happy about the ingredients.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Serbia? I suppose you can get goats milk, perhaps even raw goats milk. This should go OK! Especielly as the proteins in goats milk are milder than these in cows milk.

Goats milk wont be enough as food for an adult cat, but its always a good supplement.

Also, if goats milk is easily accessible, you can probably get goat meat too. Probably mainly from male goat fawns.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What about natures instinct lid. My cat was on orijen. It's impossible to narrow down allergies with it.

adrianne259

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can't come by natures instinct
Serbia? I suppose you can get goats milk, perhaps even raw goats milk. This should go OK! Especielly as the proteins in goats milk are milder than these in cows milk.

Goats milk wont be enough as food for an adult cat, but its always a good supplement.

Also, if goats milk is easily accessible, you can probably get goat meat too. Probably mainly from male goat fawns.
Yes, I believe getting goat milk is possible, I will give that a try, though goat meat is rarer. It's mostly baby goats, and I can't bring myself to by or eat that.

What about natures instinct lid. My cat was on orijen. It's impossible to narrow down allergies with it.
I know,but that is my only option at the moment. So far, I have come up with chicken, grains, potatoes and probably eggs as allergens. I'm trying out Acana as well, as, since I wrote this post, I determined that Orijen six fish won't work - she has stomach issues :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, I believe getting goat milk is possible, I will give that a try, though goat meat is rarer. It's mostly baby goats, and I can't bring myself to buy or eat that.
Dont be sorry for the baby (male) goats. Its the same problem with almost all male youngs. Longer back we used happily the males after castrating. Male hens for eating. Male cows for heavy work and wagons. We dont do it any longer, so its the baby males whom go into meat - at best case. The female are used in further production of milk or new goats.

Look, here in Sweden we dont have no tradition of eating goat meat, and "they" are too stupid to sell it as animal food. So what is the alternative? The corpes of the male goats are burned after they become killed...

In other countries they are at least sold as meat, and thus, they arent dying in wain.

As it IS a possible alternative for your cat in need, dont hesitate. Use both the milk and the meat. If you can get raw goats milk try with it too. It may even have some positive properties.

Lalka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Im canadian and Nature Variety Instinct LID is not available where i live (would be my first choice). So i chose Acana Grasslands, Canadian recipe (they also make Origen). They had some problem with it at first even with mixing it with the old food. Its been over a month now and their stool is still very stinky but not soft anymore. My youngest cat doesnt have skin and ears problem but i cant tell if its from the food or the antibiotics she received for 14 days for her urinary inflammation. There is a lot of ingredients in Acana and origen....but at least you are removing grains.

adrianne259

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Dont be sorry for the baby (male) goats. Its the same problem with almost all male youngs. Longer back we used happily the males after castrating. Male hens for eating. Male cows for heavy work and wagons. We dont do it any longer, so its the baby males whom go into meat - at best case. The female are used in further production of milk or new goats.

Look, here in Sweden we dont have no tradition of eating goat meat, and "they" are too stupid to sell it as animal food. So what is the alternative? The corpes of the male goats are burned after they become killed...

In other countries they are at least sold as meat, and thus, they arent dying in wain.

As it IS a possible alternative for your cat in need, dont hesitate. Use both the milk and the meat. If you can get raw goats milk try with it too. It may even have some positive properties.
Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find goat meet in regular shops, and I don't really have any contact with local farmers, but I'll look for it. As for the baby goats, they mostly sell this meat in large amounts as people eat this for special occasions, family lunches etc. And I only need a bit :) I tried the goat milk (fresh), but she refused (not to my surprise). I'm not sure if it is because the goat wasn't fed properly, or because she just doesn't like it. Would you recommend cooking it, maybe?

Im canadian and Nature Variety Instinct LID is not available where i live (would be my first choice). So i chose Acana Grasslands, Canadian recipe (they also make Origen). They had some problem with it at first even with mixing it with the old food. Its been over a month now and their stool is still very stinky but not soft anymore. My youngest cat doesnt have skin and ears problem but i cant tell if its from the food or the antibiotics she received for 14 days for her urinary inflammation. There is a lot of ingredients in Acana and origen....but at least you are removing grains.
I tried Acana Ranchlands and it didn't suit her well. She started pooping a lot and ended up constipated and with gastritis. Part of the problem was her thyroid, which definitely caused the constipation, but at one point, the vet found whole kibble in her stool, so I'm guessing Acana isn't right for her. I switched to N&D with quinoa and it seems to be OK for now. Maybe it will suit your kitties as well, if it is available in Canada?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You do try to "reorganize" this goats milk. But the taste is individual, so its always taking a chance they will eat this, or they wont eat that... :)