Organic Kitty Litter / Deodorization

crazycatdude15

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
To start off this thread, I will just say this: I am allergic to a lot of different things (even cats). My girlfriend and I want to get a kitty in the next couple of weeks we are getting a hypoallergenic cat probably a shorthair oriental or a sphynx.

I already bought some organic kitty litter, but it's giving me some problems when I pour it out. I have been looking at this Kitty litter deodorizer here. As a sort of aid for a different organic kitty litter. I was wondering if anyone knows if this is actually safe for my new kitty I will be getting?

I saw a thread on here from a while back, this contains an all organic mineral that I do not have a reaction to, I just want to make sure this is okay for our new little furball :)

If you have any recommendations can you also throw those in here too?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Plain old baking soda will help control litter box odors. Sprinkle over the litter and mix in. Keep the litter box scooped at least twice daily. Place odor absorbing non-scented room deodorizers near the litter box.

Feeding the cat a high quality diet will also minimize litter box odors, namely poop. Poor quality, indigestible mainly dry food diets result in horribly stinky poop :barfgreen: Raw fed cats have nearly odorless poop although there may be a few oddballs that do have stinky poop like one of mine :doh: A high quality preferably wet (canned / pouched / etc) diet is a a compromise if you aren't interested in feeding raw.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazycatdude15

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Plain old baking soda will help control litter box odors. Sprinkle over the litter and mix in. Keep the litter box scooped at least twice daily. Place odor absorbing non-scented room deodorizers near the litter box.

Feeding the cat a high quality diet will also minimize litter box odors, namely poop. Poor quality, indigestible mainly dry food diets result in horribly stinky poop :barfgreen: Raw fed cats have nearly odorless poop although there may be a few oddballs that do have stinky poop like one of mine :doh: A high quality preferably wet (canned / pouched / etc) diet is a a compromise if you aren't interested in feeding raw.
Wow!

Thanks for the detailed reply. I was looking for something that is naturally Organic. I heard about baking soda being the number thing to sprinkle in and I will probably try it. Maybe I am going to be one of those snobby organic only cat owners :p who knows.

I was thinking of feeding our cat a mixture of raw and pouched foods. Do you have any recommendations there?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What kind of raw are you thinking of? Making from scratch using a recipe? Prey model? Buying a commercially available raw cat food? Using raw meat of your choice with a pre-mix?

There are lots of good brands of wet foods out there: Rawz, Weruva, Hounds and Gatos, Feline Natural, Nature's Variety Instinct. It really depends on your budget and if your cat will eat the food. It's good to rotate a few different brands. Pouches don't have much food and many of the gravy / sauce based ones are pretty much all liquid with little actual food. It's better to buy cans of pate and occasionally feed a pouch or textured canned food for variety.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Zeolite is a fine additive, though usually expensive. Some people don't like to use baking soda because they say the cat can get sick from getting too much sodium by licking it off their paws, but I've never heard of anyone who had trouble in real life so that may be an internet rumor.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Sombra, just like my late Cucumella, have always used "Super Mix Long Lasting Odor Control Clumping Cat Litter" imported from Canada and I have never had a bad odor problem in my apartment. In fact, my visitors often remark: "nobody would know you have a cat"

For food Sombra has at her permanent disposal Purina Excellent Adult Cat dry food and different tastes of Hill's canned pate as a midday feeding.

As I mentioned before, I have never had bad oddor problem with either cat.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is the name of the organic litter? I've never heard of such, which means nothing except that I haven't heard of it. Is it clay, wood chips?