Organic Dewormer, Sister Is Clean, Brother Still Infected.

meow.rchl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there, this is my first post,
I have a brother and sister born same day, same mum, they are just over a year, total polar opposites, Roxy the female, is a long haired tortoise shell, Jaxx the boy is short haired peach and white.
Roxy is about 14lbs maybe alittle over weight, and Jaxx is 10lbs, skinny, always hungry.
I was unfortunately forced to live in community housing where they both got sick with worms, I tried an organic dewormer, 7days on, 4days off, Roxy seems to have no signs, but in Jaxx they just will not go away.
Could that be why his weight is so low? When he is hungry he will tell me by chewing anything, loudly, pencils, toys, especially plastic, I've noticed it like clockwork 6pm everyday he needs wet food, or he's a jerky face, I've also noticed he's not as snuggly.
Ps the dewormer I was given was from the vet.

Please help, any suggestions, recommendations?
(Btw the worms are the small pale yellowish rice like ones.)
Thank you in Advance.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They will need another round of parasite medications. It may be that what the vet gave them was incorrect. if you can take in a stool sample to the vet that may help? And both cats will need treated again, not just the one.

Parasites will make them skinny sometimes, and definitely hungry. I think another vet visit is in order. Not sure what the vet had you use? i have never used one for 7 days?

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sounds like tapeworms. Those rice grain-like things are tapeworm segments ready to sally forth and infect another. cat. If Jaxx still has them, I would suspect so does Roxy.

I’m a firm believer in using the most effective treatment for the disease. In most infections, that’s “conventional” medication. The treatment for tapeworms is praziquantel. I don’t remember my cats getting more than a single dose but it’s been a while.

@duckpond’s suggestion of a stool sample is a good one. That said, my Samson is a big cat but weighs only 8.5 lbs and if you feel him ander his long fur, he is skin and bones. He is free-fed. He gets regular vet visits and is healthy and happy. Some cats, like some people, are just thin. Not to worry unless the weight changes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meow.rchl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They will need another round of parasite medications. It may be that what the vet gave them was incorrect. if you can take in a stool sample to the vet that may help? And both cats will need treated again, not just the one.

Parasites will make them skinny sometimes, and definitely hungry. I think another vet visit is in order. Not sure what the vet had you use? i have never used one for 7 days?
Its a bottle smells like apple juice, its supposed to be used gor 7 days then off 4 days on for 7 days on for 4 days etc, until you no longer see the worms, im almost positive it worked for Roxy, but not Jaxx, my roommates have two dogs that have not shown any signs.
I still have this huge bottle.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you may need to check with the vet, it may not work on the parasite that Jaxx has. Not all medications work on all cats. You really dont know which parasite he has. So a fecal test is the best way to tell. Your vet should be able to tell you if it works or not.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I would go to a different vet and get Drontal. Natural stuff never works for my cats. I use natural stuff on myself, but it never seems to work for my cats.