Oreo Has Been Hanging Out In Litter Box For Over A Week Now

encino34

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our 3 year old we got from the humane society 3 months ago has been hanging out in the litter box or under our bed. Not sure what happened to her in the last week. Nothing that i know of has changed. She used to purr and hang out in the livingroom with me and my wife all the time.

leeannrm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A lot of times when a cat suddenly starts to "hide" it is because of stress or anxiety. Do you have any other pets? Maybe something happened when you weren't around? Something usually happens to make a cat act like this, even if it is the smallest thing! Cats are sensitive animals who like things their way or they are not happy. I had a cat that I rescued from the shelter that would hang out in her litter box to get away from my sister-who she hated! Just try to get Oreo out from under the bed or out of the litter box by showing Oreo lots of love and reassuring that everything is okay! Also just watch and see if there is anything that makes Oreo stressed or scared too!! Keep watching Oreo`s behavior though! Hope everything ends up okay!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is everything okay in the litterbox? Are the pee clumps big enough? Is she pooping okay?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

encino34

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Both cats are pooping and peeing just fine. Appetite for both is good too. Should i keep pulling her out of the litter box or leave her in there? Its a covered box with a flap in the front. I've coaxed her our a few times with treats or toys but 5 min later she runs back into the kitty litter box.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats, especially rescue cats, can get spooked easily. And usually trying to get an anxious cat away from their “safe” spot just makes them more anxious. If you are certain she is not ill then ignore her hiding and let her come out and around when she is ready. You can try to tempt her out with game but keep a distance away and let her come out to you rather than bringing play to her. Same with treats, set them out but not near her box. Cats can pick up the scent a couple rooms away. And, if she doesn’t come out during the day she will likely sneak out at night.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the hiding has just started, there will be a reason. I would have her checked by the vet. It may be a urinary tract infection or something, there could be any number of things wrong that you cannot tell by looking at her.. If she has a good vet check then you may figure out the problem, and if she has a clean bill of health then you know to start looking for other reasons.

encino34

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had her at the vet on Wednesday. She did have a fever and scratching scabs on her head. Head was shaved and treated and a shot given (forgot what it was for) and i was given cream to put on her head. This behavior started 3 days before this (when i noticed) She talks to me like normal from within the litter box. She comes out and eats and drinks all the time.
Guess i will give it some time. Just not sure how my other cat will go to the bathroom.

encino34

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had bought another one but neither of them ever used it so i put it away. I will take it out now and fill it up.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
So it’s possible that at first she was hiding because she was sick, but now she is hiding because she was stressed about the vet visit and maybe afraid she will be taken there again. Or, however she got the head scratch, from your other cat or something she bumped or fell against, it scared her and that is why she is hiding. In any case she will probably get over it within a few days

Last edited:

encino34

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took out the other cat box and put it in the living room and shes in it right now. Baby steps :)

encino34

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What are your thoughts about zylkene or feliway diffuser?