Oreo had babies!!

kgail76

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so excited! Last night I decided that it was okay to sleep - Oreo wasn't showing any signs of labor at all...I really thought it would be a few more days.

This morning when I got up with my boys, I couldn't find her, which is odd, because she has been under my feet all the time these last few days. I looked under my youngest's crib, and there she was, with little puffballs everywhere!

I got the boys downstairs and went back and pulled the crib away from the wall - there are 5 kittens, but they are still a bit wet (she was feeding and cleaning them when I found her)...so I'm not positive she is done.

I'm so sad I missed seeing it, but I'm so glad she finally had them!! YAY!!!

Today is also my middle son's birthday - so it will be that much easier to remember their birthdays!!

She went to the right room - I had her nest set up in the closet in that room...she just didn't go to the closet. Once she gets them all cleaned up, do you think it is okay to move them and her to the box? I don't want them on the carpet - as I need to clean it now...and they would be much safer in the box.

They are all adorable and mewing like crazy - and eating like hungry babies should!! I'm going to take the kids to daycare and summer camp, then hopefully get some pictures to post!!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Congrats Oreo! What an unusual place, under a crib
Glad everyone's is doing ok!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kgail76

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

Congrats Oreo! What an unusual place, under a crib
Glad everyone's is doing ok!
Yeah, I thought it was a strange place, too...Wonder if that is what woke my 18-month-old up this morning...

I moved the babies to the nesting box in the closet...Momma got a really cranky look on her face and told me what she thought of that idea...but she did follow, once I showed her the babies were there. I hope she keeps them there and doesn't move them again. They are so much safer in the box, I think.

She seems to be taking good care of them - she has them all cleaned up, but she hasn't really cleaned herself up - do you guys think she will? Or am I going to have to figure out how to give her a bath?

I'm so excited - the babies are beautiful (even if my 8-year-old does say they look like little rats)...Going to try to get some pictures to post now!

junior67

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Congrats! she will clean herself up. Right now she is concentrating on babies and getting them set and fed and resting. then she will get to her. Basically like us moms. make sure babies are taken care of then we take care of ourselves.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Congrats on a smooth, uneventful delivery!! Once Oreo gets everyone all cleaned up and settled in, you might want to get weights for the kittens. It really helps to know immediately if someone isn't getting enough nutrition if you can chart their weight progress every day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kgail76

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gayef

Congrats on a smooth, uneventful delivery!! Once Oreo gets everyone all cleaned up and settled in, you might want to get weights for the kittens. It really helps to know immediately if someone isn't getting enough nutrition if you can chart their weight progress every day.
Any idea where to get a scale I can weigh them with? And how much it will cost? I don't have anything other than a regular bathroom scale...Right now they all look to be about the same size...And they are really eating well!! Yay!!

junior67

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
you can get a cheap scale at Walmart. A food scale works well or a postal scale also.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I recommend a little food scale that weighs in both grams and ounces. I got mine at Wal-Mart, can't remember what I paid for it now, but it was less than $10 I think. It really is a good thing to have on hand as it helps to know daily weights -- you can see at a glance when someone isn't progressing as they should be.