Oral Surgery Fel-v Cat

Luna10

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My baby girl will be 5 next week! She has a bad case of stomatitis, so she needs a full mouth extraction. They did blood work today and everything looked great. Except her white blood cell count was off. Vet said that's normal for feline leukemia cats. She was a smidge dehydrated too. Due to not eating/drinking from mouth pain.

I'd like any thoughts on if i should go ahead with the surgery. I've read felv cats can live a long time. But im so scared to put her through this surgery, only to not live long. I honestly believe she will live a long, long life. I'd just like some advice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Luna10

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I forgot to mention im also questioning it bc she's already gonna be 5 years old. in my heart i believe i should go ahead and get her the surgery.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
It might not help as I have not lived with a Fel-v cat, but Mouse was recently unwell and off his food. I noticed a little reddening of his gums and the vet booked him in for a dental check. Turned out he had a little gum erosion around a couple of molars but the roots of his lower canines had been reabsorbed and he had a deep infection going on. 2 extractions and some serious clearing out and antibiotics later and Mouse is back in full health. He recovered incredibly quickly despite the infection he had, and was back on his regular crunchy dental food (he had serious stomatitis as a kitten).
Many people here live with cats who have had all their teeth extracted and they seem to do extremely well. It has given me great reassurance in coping with Mouse's dental issues since kittenhood and the recent extraction, and recent experiences have told me that the advice here has been well founded.
How ever long you have with your cat, the dental surgery is likely to increase your cat's comfort and ability to take in food and nutrition - which should in turn help to keep her with you for the longest time possible - despite the traumas of surgery. To me it seems like a risk worth taking.
:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think we never know how long any of us has. But if the dental surgery will make her time, and i hope it is a very long time, happier and more comfortable than i say do it. Sending you guys my wishes for a wonderful outcome. Keep us updated!