Oral abies Vaccine for Ferals?

jmarkitell

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I live in a rural area and the Fish and Game commission have been dropping bait packets that contain an oral rabies vaccine. They are targeting Raccoons, Opossums, and the like for the most part. There are a few feral cats around that I can feed but they are too savvy to be captured. Since I have indoor and outdoor cats, I worry about them picking up rabies. Does anybody know of any way to get a bait packet or two that I could use to orally vaccinate the ferals in my area? It would be much easier than trapping them...can this be done?

Any and all advice is appreciated!

Jim M.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Three things I can think of. First, call Fish and Game and see if you can obtain a couple of the bait packages from them (no idea what the cost might be.) If that doesn't work, ask F & G for the name / phone number of the manufacturer and talk to them. Lastly, talk to your vet and / or a feral cat rescue organization about getting the bait packages.

Good luck, and let us all know what happens.

Last edited:

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've never heard of this but it sounds great!  Could you perhaps contact Fish and Game and ask them?  Or maybe your vet knows something about this.

Our state has licensed wildlife rehabilitators.  If there is such a thing in your state, they may know something, as well.

Please let us know if you find out anything.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Three things I can think of. First, call Fish and Game and see if you can obtain a couple of the bait packages from them (no idea what the cost might be.) If that doesn't work, ask F & G for the name / phone number of the manufacturer and talk to them. Lastly, talk to your vet and / or a feral cat rescue organization about getting the bait packages.

Good luck, and let us all know what happens.
Great minds, Catapault!  

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sadly, an oral rabies vaccination for cats will likely never get approved. Rabies vaccinations require that a veterinarian administer the shot. Vet techs and lay people are not allowed to administer the shot. I hate to be cynical, but I think part of the reason an oral vaccination will not be approved is because veterinarians make money by charging the $45 office visit required for a cat to receive a rabies vaccination by a vet. Also, rabies shots are registered and this would be difficult to do if people gave oral medicine on their own. Too bad for our feral friends who may never make it to a vet's office.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

jmarkitell

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I really wish that something could be used or offered, as my feral friends would prove very difficult to trap...even if he was trapped I think he would need sedated before the Vet could work with him. Its a shame that the money trail is the roadblock to many positive ideas...like was mentioned in an earlier thread. Vets have a pretty nice money machine with the mandatory rabies vaccinations. Rabies clinics are a much cheaper alternative but they lack the convenience of a dedicated trip to the vet at your leisure. I understand that the baits aren't approved for dogs or cats, but they aren't harmful and ANY protection they might provide to other wild and feral animals is an added bonus. I'm sure there are many other reasons that they aren't available, but if they don't present any potential problems, then they should be made available. I am not advocating the rabies shot being discontinued, but only as a prophylaxis to try to keep the rabies virus at a minimum.

Jim M.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sure it would be effective for cats too, if you can manage to find some you could buy. Of course it won't be legally recognized but it's not legally recognized in wild animals either.