Opinions On Types Of Litter

Luna92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey all,

Appologies if there's already a thread for this. But I'm about to buy some new litter for my kitten, i bought catsan after an initial order of santicat took to long to come. Catsan made her sneeze and irritated her eyes, santicat was naturally even worse and also has this horrible smell and gets everywhere. I want to change litter but find the whole thing so confusing. I want something that wont irritate her eyes or cause her to sneeze (she loves to dig up a storm) and won't make my flat stink (i take her poos out straight away but this doesn't seem to matter to santicat. And not too expensive. Any advice would be appreciated...also i live in the uk, and shes a kitten so no clumps please.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she's young enough to eat litter look into the wheat litter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Luna92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey K Kflowers thanks for the response she's 14 weeks so not eating her litter just being irritated by it, is that normal?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Her feet are still sensitive. Remember the first time you went barefoot outside? It takes time to toughen up your feet.

We used wheat until our kitten was comfortable with the box. then
switched to clumping. She's a digger and it made her sneeze. It took awhile to figure that out. Then we switched to Dr. Esley's ultra, I don't know if you get it, but she stopped sneezing.

We did discover that the light litter, while great for picking up, seemed dustier than regular and had a really strong smell. Cat wouldn't even go in the room with light Arm & Hammer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Luna92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ah makes sense, what she was on before was like little granules but she was having too much fun with that, going into the litter box for playtime. But what she's on now is this lavender scented attapulgite clay, which i had to convince her to use.
So as she's not purposely eating the litter she can move on to clumping? She's meticulously clean and does like to lick her feet?
I can get Dr. Esley's on amazon but it's £60. I will have a look at other clay litters though.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
60 pounds! that's some shipping charge. I'm sure you can find something local that will suit.

Cats are very sensitive to smell so she may well prefer one scent over another. Personally, I love lavender the color, the scent not so much.