Opinions On This Food, Please.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With 13 cats it's really hard to afford top quality. I search everywhere for the best possible.

It is Diamond Naturals canned cat food. I'm trying to upload a file, the pic I took of labels.

When we lived out in the Mojave and our feline population was 22, we fed a variety of brands. Our local feed store stocked Nutro Chicken & Lamb in the large tins and we bought that regularly. I think Nutro is a good quality food at a better price than a lot of the other quality foods. They stock it at most "pet" supply stores, too, and online at DrsFosterSmith.com. Other brands we've always relied upon are Natural Balance, Blue Buffalo, Soulistic, and Drs. Foster & Smith's own foods.

KatKnapper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
With 13 cats it's really hard to afford top quality. I search everywhere for the best possible.
Hmmm... I see a lot of "Carrageenan Free" on some of the upper tier cat foods. I suppose there is an ounce of truth as to why cat food manufacturers make it known. You have to wonder how much of the "free of this and that" is for our pets benefit and how much of it is the manufacturer's marketing spin. I'd venture to say, there isn't one cat food manufacturer out there that hasn't something to hide, that the consumer would be appalled to hear about.

I had no clue what this Carrageenan was so I opened the first link results at the top. Now I want to crawl under a rock and hide from the rest of the world. Taking my cat and his stragglers with me.

The Natural Ingredient You Should Ban From Your Diet

KatKnapper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
To me, it's not a bad food, but there are more grains/carbs than I personally like to see. I'm not great with US brands, but I know that Fancy Feast patés and Sheba patés are generally very well thought of for a lower price range. They're very high meat, grain free and low carb :) A great place to start if you're on a budget :winkcat: Because of the higher meat/lower carb content, I'd personally rate them higher than the food you're feeding now! A higher price point doesn't always equal a better food, from the cat's perspective, that is :winkcat:
These are the grocery store and the Wal-mart brands. I feed this to two outdoor cats, which they devour. I have yet to scrutinize the ingredients, but my gut tells me they are cheap foods, but better than some dry kibble. Ever wonder how some kibbles can stay edible for long durations? Or how a bag of Merrick's BackCountry Raw Infused kibble can still be fresh the day you bought it when you can gently squeeze the bag to hear that it is venting air outward (not sealed as you would think, allowing ambient air and moisture to enter the bag...before you even buy it.)

I read online that these two canned brands are labeled "Kitty Crack" by some Vets and cat guardians. When my indoor cat turned down Starkiss Tuna, Weruva's with fish and then eats Fancy Feast with fish I have to ask myself what in the world are they spiking this canned food with?

His favorite of the can: Fancy Feast - Sliced Turkey Feast in Gravy

Poultry Broth, Turkey, Liver, Meat By-products, Wheat Gluten, Corn Starch-Modified, Chicken, Soy Flour, Soy Protein Concentrate, Artificial And Natural Flavors, Salt, Calcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Taurine, Added Color, Choline Chloride, Zinc Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin E Supplement, Ferrous Sulfate, Niacin, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K Activity), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Biotin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Potassium Iodide

I stopped supplementing this with his kibble, when he eventually would only lick the gravy off, then run back to his kibble dish.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My ad-blocker meant I couldn't read the article, but I do know what carrageenan is, I've been eating it for years, and it certainly has no detrimental effects whatsoever. It is a seaweed, a/k/a Irish Moss, that is widely eaten in the Caribbean and very popular there.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
These are the grocery store and the Wal-mart brands. I feed this to two outdoor cats, which they devour. I have yet to scrutinize the ingredients, but my gut tells me they are cheap foods, but better than some dry kibble. Ever wonder how some kibbles can stay edible for long durations? Or how a bag of Merrick's BackCountry Raw Infused kibble can still be fresh the day you bought it when you can gently squeeze the bag to hear that it is venting air outward (not sealed as you would think, allowing ambient air and moisture to enter the bag...before you even buy it.)

I read online that these two canned brands are labeled "Kitty Crack" by some Vets and cat guardians. When my indoor cat turned down Starkiss Tuna, Weruva's with fish and then eats Fancy Feast with fish I have to ask myself what in the world are they spiking this canned food with?

Poultry Broth, Turkey, Liver, Meat By-products, Wheat Gluten, Corn Starch-Modified, Chicken, Soy Flour, Soy Protein Concentrate, Artificial And Natural Flavors, Salt, Calcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Taurine, Added Color, Choline Chloride, Zinc Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin E Supplement, Ferrous Sulfate, Niacin, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K Activity), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Biotin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Potassium Iodide

I stopped supplementing this with his kibble, when he eventually would only lick the gravy off, then run back to his kibble dish.
I may be one of very few people who has never set foot in a Walmart and will never buy anything from them, for personal reasons. As for dry cat foods, yes, they're like junk food for cats although there are better and worse ingredients in them. I feed high-quality wet foods 3 times a day and have bowls of high-quality dry out for them free-choice. They eat their wet food very well and munch on the dry like people would snacks. I absolutely agree with others posters who oppose food "shaming", though -- as long as people truly care about the cats they are feeding and feed them the best foods their budgets will allow, I don't think anyone else should diss them.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My ad-blocker meant I couldn't read the article, but I do know what carrageenan is, I've been eating it for years, and it certainly has no detrimental effects whatsoever. It is a seaweed, a/k/a Irish Moss, that is widely eaten in the Caribbean and very popular there.

It's not seaweed. It is a derivative of specific type of seaweed. I agree that seaweed is eaten around the world daily and popular. But when you extract elements of anything and use it in different ways it can change it. Carrageenan has had various studies and just as many opinions about its safety. Interestingly enough one of the studies did find that when just in straight water it caused more problems then bonded in food with a protein. The how of something is sometimes just as vital as the what. Since my cats were never meant to eat seaweed I am going with it isn't good for them and likely will contribute to inflammation and digestive issues as some studies have shown.

For myself? Small amounts like you would find in eating that specific seaweed naturally wouldn't be a concern. But if you eat a variety of products with it and it becomes more concentrated then naturally found? I will avoid it when possible for myself.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not seaweed. It is a derivative of specific type of seaweed. I agree that seaweed is eaten around the world daily and popular. But when you extract elements of anything and use it in different ways it can change it. Carrageenan has had various studies and just as many opinions about its safety. Interestingly enough one of the studies did find that when just in straight water it caused more problems then bonded in food with a protein. The how of something is sometimes just as vital as the what. Since my cats were never meant to eat seaweed I am going with it isn't good for them and likely will contribute to inflammation and digestive issues as some studies have shown.

For myself? Small amounts like you would find in eating that specific seaweed naturally wouldn't be a concern. But if you eat a variety of products with it and it becomes more concentrated then naturally found? I will avoid it when possible for myself.
Thanks for the information. Having read it, I come to a different conclusion, but we must each do what we think is best for our beloved family members. I guess my passion for nori informs my decision.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Carageenan is one of those things where you aren't sure what to believe. The alarmists say it's bad no matter what. Others say that only degraded carageenan (not used in food) is harmful. You just have to decide who you'll believe.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Carageenan is one of those things where you aren't sure what to believe. The alarmists say it's bad no matter what. Others say that only degraded carageenan (not used in food) is harmful. You just have to decide who you'll believe.
Well, one thing about life is that it's always fatal :sigh: so, that having been said, I live what I think is a pretty healthy lifestyle, but I'm not a purist on most things. My cats eat an excellent diet and my family and I have been known for our long-lived cats, so maybe we're doing something right, or at least not doing too many things wrong. :cutecat::kneading:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I told you I was clueless about US foods! :winkcat: Like I said, it's not a bad food at all and, to me, of all the grains that are used, rice is the one I'm least bothered about as its so hypoallergenic. If the cats are eating it with enthusiasm, doing well one it, and it suits your pocketbook, then stick with it for sure :thumbsup: I've seen far worse ingredients lists, and from more expensive brands too!

Lastly, I look after a barn cat who's lived on the farm all her life. For the majority of that time, she ate only what she could catch, and supplemented her diet in winter by stealing the high fat horse feed! We only started looking after her 9 years ago (or thereabouts), and the only food she'll eat is RC Sensible kibble and almo nature (or similar) complementary sachets - and what's more, they're mostly the tuna based ones! She's now somewhere around 14-16 years of age, and still going strong - incredible for a barn cat.

Ultimately, what matters is that they're happy, healthy and eating well. They're very lucky to have you :thumbsup:

KatKnapper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
- Deleted paragraphs -

Not wanting to hijack KsKatt's thread. My apologies if I have thrown things off track here kskatt kskatt .

Aren't you on a farm or ranch? Pardon my ignorance, but couldn't you raise your own cat food? I had a neighbor as a kid, who tried raising everything from hens, rabbits, and possums. We lived in the city limits. :lolup:

KatKnapper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think my cat is a cannibal. He is eating his own fur. Since he is a medium to a long-haired cat, I suppose it'll be a while before he reaches the main course.

I'm clueless and on the wagon with ya Columbine. Just when I think I've found the best dry and wet foods for my cat my bubble gets burst. I read that the highest protein per weight comes from meat meals. Whole meats like the first ingredients they pitch to us are expensive and hurt the bottom line of a manufacturer unless they trick the recipe with fillers or find super cheap ways to get the whole meats like importing it. I believe even the highest quality or priced cat foods out there aren't true to their hype or marketing.

Don't get me wrong here...as I said earlier I use Fancy Feast. I was supplementing it with kibble for my indoor cat until he became a "gravy licker." The two outdoor cats...one belongs to a neighbor and the other a TNR both get up to three cans a day, mixed with some sprinklings of Merrick's BackCountry (meant for my indoor guy). For a time the TNR and my indoor cat were eating Sheba.

I started looking at other pricey brands when his veterinarian suspected that he has IBS. Since he would go on a hunger strike at the sight of a can of Veterinarian's diet, I began sampling other more expensive foods. His Blue Basics LID that he loves has undesirable ingredients in it such as potatoes, turkey meal, veggies, and fruits. The Orijen Cat & Kitten I am trying to transition him to has tons of veggie types, ground chicken bone, fruits, and beans. We can't win at this, no matter what quality you buy. I think the only way to best all the various brands whether wet or kibble is to raise your own food sources. That is the only way to know what is really in your cat's food.

A suggestion for you Kskatt...keep doing what you're doing but work harder and smarter to seek savings from distributors, such as buying in bulk, shopping around for the best price or try to work out a deal with a wholesaler or local retailer. Learn the intricate game they are playing with purchasing their stock and pricing markups then use it to your advantage.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kskatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hijack. what hijack? I've been eating up (pardon the pun) every word that's been said, or typed.

Yes, I do live in the country. Unfortunately, the only things I can kill are bugs. And most of the time I take them outside, except for ticks and mosquitoes, those things die.:biggrin: Growing veggies is good for me, I know of nothing I can grow that is good for cats. Oh, eggs I can do! But, those are very limited for cats. I do not make a good farm girl.:blush:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha, yeah, I thought of that, too, but I can't kill anything either. I could raise chickens for eggs but not meat (I plan to get some egg chickens at some point), and there's definitely no way I could kill a rabbit. So, sadly, no home raised meat for us.

KatKnapper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was thinking about raising live animals, like the small things hunters go out into the fields, shoot and bring home for dinner. My grandmother raised hens for the eggs, and I'm sure for the dinner table. I can't recall ever having a meal there. My dad used her land to raise hogs (some 40+ years ago) until the FDA shut him down. Those butchered hogs I later saw wrapped up in the fridge. Yuck. I'm most certain he sold some hogs or the butchered meats for profit. There were cows too, but I think they were used solely for fresh milk.

I add a little kibble to the Fancy Feast I give my TNR and the neighbor's cat (breaks out of her home to come dine with us, to bulk it up a bit, otherwise with only a 3-ounce meal they will return to my doorstep two hours later. If you want to understand more about the ingredients used in most foods, CatInfo.org written by Lisa A. Pierson, DVM does it well, with nothing held back. It's a lot of info to digest. Cautionary note...her info is not for the light-hearted. Which is probably the reason I haven't spent a lot of time there absorbing it all.

Just googled some stuff. The more I do this, the more I am disgusted with pet food makers. Just found a top tier cat food maker's name splattered all over the FDA list of voluntary recalls. Do the best we can in feeding them I say...but we also have to be vigilant in monitoring all aspects of this food industry.

Also, don't let the carrageenan scare you away for that brand. It seems that stuff is in everyday foods and drinks we consume as human. Be informed of all the ingredients, what they are, and how they affect your cat's health, follow the manufacturer's website and facebook for any voluntary recalls (*FDA also publishes a list). The responsibility is our own as to what food ingredients we will give our little family. We alone decide if the risk are worth the gain.

Congrats to you on getting 13 cats to coexist together. I can't get my one to accept the cats outside his window or peeking in through the door cracked open.

*(if anyone wishes the URL vs searching for it yourself, please contact me privately, as I don't want to frighten everyone or incite mass paranoia :angrywoman::bat:)

KatKnapper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Haha, yeah, I thought of that, too, but I can't kill anything either. I could raise chickens for eggs but not meat (I plan to get some egg chickens at some point), and there's definitely no way I could kill a rabbit. So, sadly, no home raised meat for us.
I hear ya....same with me. I have a knack for being an excellent shot with a pistol and rifle all my life. As a kid, my older brother talked me into shooting a rabbit once with an air rifle. That image of my shooting it and seeing my dad and brother skinning it still torments me today. Another that haunts me is the memory of my dad taking an ax to the neck of a dinner chicken, and seeing its body running around the back yard minutes later. I sometimes choke up preparing boneless, skinless chicken for meals.

kskatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
katknapper, are you talking about the amount of info and/or calculations not being for the faint of heart? But, to frighten or paranoia? The contents of the by-products? I bet most people here are tougher than you think. :) Or did I miss something? When I checked it out, there are sooo many different areas. I looked at "commercial foods" mostly.
Do you think the FDA's list is the most complete. It makes sense, they'd better have every single one!

I guess you could use the term coexist, in harmony- not so much. :crazy: A couple were adult Toms when they arrived. Neutering can't eliminate the "habit" or whatever you call it!

kskatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Whoa, I tried FDA.org, so far so good, looks like a home page, I click on Pet Resources and get a page completely in oriental script, with young women getting massages. WTH! I think I'll do a google search, :blush:

KatKnapper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Whoa, I tried FDA.org, so far so good, looks like a home page, I click on Pet Resources and get a page completely in oriental script, with young women getting massages. WTH! I think I'll do a google search, :blush:
Ok, here ya go. Suggest everyone favorite this page and review it regularly. https://www.fda.gov/animalveterinary/safetyhealth/recallswithdrawals/ucm393160.htm

Where it seems to list an off-brand or little-known company, that may be the parent company, for example "Wellpet" is the Wellness brand of pet foods, and Mars we probably all know to be the makers of Fancy Feast. The list is for pets, not just cats.

KatKnapper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
katknapper, are you talking about the amount of info and/or calculations not being for the faint of heart? But, to frighten or paranoia? The contents of the by-products? I bet most people here are tougher than you think. :) Or did I miss something? When I checked it out, there are sooo many different areas. I looked at "commercial foods" mostly.
Do you think the FDA's list is the most complete. It makes sense, they'd better have every single one!

I guess you could use the term coexist, in harmony- not so much. :crazy: A couple were adult Toms when they arrived. Neutering can't eliminate the "habit" or whatever you call it!
I think I was a bit horrified, being a first-time cat guardian, that things she mentioned could happen with pet foods, such as mold, contaminants, pets becoming ill, recalls and the rest. Before browsing her site, I was unaware of all the stuff that goes into pet foods, and how it affects the health of our pets. Before, I never looked beyond the package labeling, the marketing, the commercial advertisement to know what is in or can occur to their foods. Just a note to those, if any, who wear blinders when selecting foods, such as I was once.

Even so with the recall listings from various well-knowns such as the FDA, looking at things from the "glass is half full" perspective, we can take this as being that all those involved from top of the pet food chain, are being vigilant in watching out for things that try to slip through and cause havoc for us and our pets. Do I think the FDA's list is complete? No, I do not. Best we monitor both the FDA, the website of the company that makes our pet's food, and that of the retailer where we purchase it. I would also suggest signing up for notifications from the pet food maker's website.

I would prefer to venture on the side of safety, that maybe someone is unaware (ie ingredient in foods and recalls) than to assume that everyone knows. I find this to be true every day in my own profession.