opinions on purina pro plan?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

franklinsmother

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
His background could be anything then. Sneezing can be allergy related, but it can also be connected to viral conditions like herpesvirus - which when a cat is in a flare up it can impact appetite.

See what he does with the Purina, but I wouldn't rule out the others. He might need a rotation of foods to keep his interest.
That’s what i’m thinking. He’s currently on a medication for herpesvirus but it’s only been a week and it’s a 3 week supply, so hoping it gets better! also i just wanted to thank you so much for always replying to my posts. it means a lot! as a “first” time cat owner (franklins my first cat that is not a family cat) i really appreciate it!!

franklinsmother

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
His background could be anything then. Sneezing can be allergy related, but it can also be connected to viral conditions like herpesvirus - which when a cat is in a flare up it can impact appetite.

See what he does with the Purina, but I wouldn't rule out the others. He might need a rotation of foods to keep his interest.
sorry the first didn’t load at first haha ignore this one

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know what medication he is taking now for herpes, but a long term immune support supplement is an OTC product that contains DMG. A lot of folks in the past have used lysine, but I don't think it is as much in favor as it once was, in terms of effectiveness. Just something to keep in your 'back pocket' when continuing your search for things to help Franklin.
Vetri DMG™ Liquid for Dogs and Cats - VetriScience

franklinsmother

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know what medication he is taking now for herpes, but a long term immune support supplement is an OTC product that contains DMG. A lot of folks in the past have used lysine, but I don't think it is as much in favor as it once was, in terms of effectiveness. Just something to keep in your 'back pocket' when continuing your search for things to help Franklin.
Vetri DMG™ Liquid for Dogs and Cats - VetriScience
thank you!! i also tried lysine and it didn’t do much.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many cats can have seasonal allergies. When everything is coated with yellow/green pollen. Those allergies sometimes affect a cat or person's ability to taste or enjoy food. They can't smell their food which is distressing to a cat. Everything you can do to increase the smell of the food, that's safe is a good idea. Warm the food slightly, that sometimes helps, add a fishy topper or a little cut up fresh meat to it. Remember the allergies and the lessened ability to smell and taste can come before the cat starts sneezing. Allergies can also make you feel as though you're choking a bit, since they can fill the throat with mucus or actually cause a little swelling. That's also off putting.

In my experience all you can do is dust with damp cloths to keep from scattering the pollen and vacuum a lot.

CaseysMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tiny Dancer has been on PPP since I adopted her from the vet as a kitten. I just kept her on it because that was what they were feeding her. She loves it!! She lets me know when her bowl gets even close to empty. LOL. I also give her half a can of Fancy Feast at night so that she gets some wet food. She is very healthy so far, so I'm sticking with this regimen.

FrazzledMumbly

Max's Dad
Young Cat
Purraise
Tbh, in the last couple of months I discovered that Purina Pro Plan is the one dry cat food brand that agrees with Max's stomach. I give him a small scoop of Live Clear Weight Management with water added in the morning and evening with a can of either Tikicat or Fancy Feast pate midday. His poos are way less lethal than when it was just the Fancy Feast and I'm not spending as much per month.

It depends on the cat! Different diet needs and taste preferences abound.