Opinions on Dental Surgery After Care

cejhome

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our cat Buddy (3+ years old) had to have one upper canine and four of those itty bitty teeth removed this past Friday due to resorption issues. The fang was obvious, and dental radiographs showed the itty bitty teeth had resorption issues.

Buddy is recovering very well, maybe too well! We came home with prefilled buprenorphine oral syringes, with instruction to administer as needed for 5 days. I have him a dose Friday night and Saturday morning and evening.

He is doing excellent, so I don't think he needs anymore buprenorphine, but will administer if we see he needs it.

I have him on probiotics, but the vet didn't think he needed antibiotics. I am juicing up his food (canned/wet) with extra water and so far he is not constipated from the drugs or anesthetic. He wanted to eat almost immediately after we got home.

The issue? He really, really wants to play roughly. He is a gnawer and loves to nibble and gnaw on his toys and wrestle them. He's very mouthy. He gnaws on our arms and nibbles our legs when he is playful, affectionate, HUNGRY, excited, etc. He never even comes close to breaking skin - he is very gentle and it tickles! He is back to doing this already. We are being careful to not encourage it and to just let him to it and not to move while he does.

I have put all the toys away that are not solid plastic balls (ping pong balls), or paper balls, or very soft toys. We aren't supposed to do anything that could cause the stitches to be pulled or damaged - for two weeks! This morning he was playing with a doorstop and wrestling the little area rug in our bedroom after his breakfast. His favorite toys are the feather wand toy with the feather on a string, or the fabric (fleece type fabric) streamer on a wand toy - both off limits for two weeks. He loves involving us in play.

So... my thoughts on this:
  • Give him buprenorphine in the PM only if needed, let him be his normal self during the day
  • buprenorphine only if needed
  • buprenorphine to calm him down so he doesn't get quite as playful - am or PM, but not both (I really don't want to use it to keep him sleepy, but I thought I'd throw this out there)
  • Play with him a little bit here and there with the soft toys, being careful not to pull toys or wiggle them when he has them in his mouth
I guess this is a good issue to have post surgery, but its going to be challenging to keep him entertained safely!

He has is post-op check up this coming Friday.

I would appreciate any advice!

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would continue the buprenorphine as directed and try to engage him in watching cat videos on a laptop if you can. I would hold off on the toys for now. If you see him chewing on s doorstop try yo redirect to something else.